Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2020, 11:17 PM   #1

Default Roof

Hello,
Went up on the roof of my trailer today for the first time this year and noticed an area maybe 2 feet square front corner and it's kind of wrinkled up and feels like an air pocket. Best I can explain is it feels like there stuff wadded up underneath the rubber. I check the inside on a regular basis through the winter and there's never been any leaks anywhere and no evidence of water, mold etc. Could this just be delamination. And is there anything I can do? Hope it's not water. I have kept things pretty sealed up with dicor.

Thanks
Mike

Old 07-30-2020, 04:52 AM   #2

Mine has a couple of small areas that look like wrinkles but from what a RV Repair told me its an EDM sheet like rubber that is laid on top and that the wrinkles are normal. I hope they were right, ours had the front, rear and top replaced by previous owners.

wishuwerehere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 12:44 PM   #3

Default roof

I just talked with Cruiser RV and they weren't much help and the guy said he really hadn't heard of it bubbly up and said the glue won't let the rubber roof bubble up in large areas like mine. I'll just watch it and see what happens. If it's water than it's never gotten inside the trailer or storage area.
Old 08-09-2020, 11:12 AM   #4

I was told on ours that some small areas of delamination (rubber roof lifting from substrate) is o.k., But, like you said, just keep an eye on it. I would think as long as nothing has gotten under it, it would be o.k. A 2 foot square seems kinda large to me. I would be concerned with it tearing while towing.
mjpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 05:36 PM   #5

So...it’s probably delamination if everything is firm under the wrinkles. A couple of things can contribute to this. One is RV covers/tarps and 2nd is humidity inside the trailer during storage - there are some weird things that we study in building sciences with air-tight building shells. One of the more common phenomenon is where ‘dew point’ Occurs inside a wall or ceiling cavity - and because EPDM or TPO has zero permeability, moisture gets trapped and it can’t dry, leading to the delam. In a perfectly designed shell, it is heated and ventilated so condensation can only occur on the exterior
Old 08-11-2020, 07:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnitio View Post
So...it’s probably delamination if everything is firm under the wrinkles. A couple of things can contribute to this. One is RV covers/tarps and 2nd is humidity inside the trailer during storage - there are some weird things that we study in building sciences with air-tight building shells. One of the more common phenomenon is where ‘dew point’ Occurs inside a wall or ceiling cavity - and because EPDM or TPO has zero permeability, moisture gets trapped and it can’t dry, leading to the delam. In a perfectly designed shell, it is heated and ventilated so condensation can only occur on the exterior
That is interesting. I didn’t realize that, but we keep our A/C on at 80deg and heater on in the winter at 55deg. It was my goal to eliminate mold from condensate developing during storage. So far it has worked.

Gerald Miller is offline   Reply With Quote