Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2018, 08:27 PM   #1

Default Rotten slide out floor

I see some mention of repairing floor on slide out. I will have to do this hopefully after the camping season and am looking for advice. Can repair be done without removing slide out from trailer etc?

vetteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 06:33 PM   #2

What year/model is your FF? I did a 2009/2010 210WBS. Because it's an older slide and the slide's floor essentially rests on the slide motor it's tricky to replace. You have to support the slide to replace the floor. This model didn't have the sofa bed, it had been removed. But it's possible to replace without removing the slide.

runner421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 05:17 AM   #3

My trailer is a 2010 WBS, i bought it last year and did'nt notice the rot at the edge of slide out. It appears the trailer was stored indoors before i bought it and I keep it inside also, I can't see where water gets in.
vetteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 08:08 AM   #4

Mine had the couch removed and replaced with a sheet of plywood. On top of that the previous owner had put a "slats" type of pull out bed. We removed the slats, then the "box" or frame of the cubby and then the rotted out plywood. The picture shows the result. You can see in the older style slides, the floor rides on a single track which is moved in/out by the motor. It's not a well-balanced design either. Water had been leaking in through the window frame. We pulled the window, sealed all around, then replaced and caulked. For the floor we replace the plywood with 3/4 treated and sprayed the underside with the rubberized coating, I think it's called Flexseal? We got it all back together and seems to be fine. I think if you still have the couch it would be a similar fix.
Attached Thumbnails
FF2.jpg   FF1.jpg  
Old 03-18-2019, 08:57 AM   #5

My 2010 has the same problem with the slide but it was the lower seam that leaked and has rotted a small section of the plywood. Did you remove the plywood with the slide in or out? And if out how did you support the slide?
Your pictures are a great start to figuring this out.
Citycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 09:46 AM   #6

We started the repairs with the slide out. We tried balancing/supporting the slide on sawhorses with whatever we could find to get them high enough. After we ripped the rotted plywood out, we pushed the slide back in. Much more stable that way. It is a challenge to lift the slide enough to put the new plywood in. It has to be slid in and then screwed in to the framing/support. After that it sits on the slide mechanism. Attached a couple of pictures to show the finished project a little better view.
Attached Thumbnails
FFA.jpg   FFB.jpg  
Old 03-18-2019, 10:22 AM   #7

Great thanks for the info, going to have to give this a try this summer.
Citycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 10:29 PM   #8

I did ours like runner, but left the slide out supported by 2x4’s down to the ground. I had my BIL help me put in the new board. I think Runner’s idea of bringing the slide in is probably better. I resealed both my window and access door while I was in the fixing mode! It has worked flawlessly for the last year.

Gerald Miller is offline   Reply With Quote