Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Tech > Modifications, Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-10-2011, 01:27 PM   #1

Default sagging roof 189 fbr

I have an 06 funfinder189 I noticed the roof sagging 2 years ago. I took the air-conditioning out and found the gasket was wrinkled from the factory. I repaired the leak and used it till this year and it is now parked on a permanent spot on the lake under a carport. I now want to fix the roof and don't know if I should go at it from the top or from the inside. Hope to only replace a couple of cross braces and the box around the air-conditioning. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I've heard that was a problem on the 06 so I thought maybe someone has tackled this before.

Dooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:16 PM   #2

Ok then...gonna try it from the roof side. Gonna cut out a section of rubber about 6 feet wide and try to replace the wood and see of I can patch the roof with rubber and that rubber roof sealer I read about . Hope this works.

Old 07-12-2011, 04:31 PM   #3

That's how I would attack it. Cosmetically, you'll probably have a better looking job unless someone is going to go crawling around on your roof. You'll also probably find damage to the roof sheeting that would have to be replaced anyway.

You should be able to cut out a square and replace that and then, as you said, put the membrane back and seal it with glue and Eternabond tape along the seams...

Sounds like you have it all worked out and I believe that is the way an RV repair facility would tackle it.

Good luck! Keep us posted on your progress.

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 05:24 PM   #4

Thanks Mr Don. I will let you know how it goes. Have to see how hot it is next week. 96 last weekend where the camper is. Thanks again.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:47 PM   #5

One question Mr don. Think I can get thin enough plywood at home depot? I guess the rubber and eternabond from an rv place. Thanks.

2006 Funfinder X 189 FBR
2005 Ford F 350 Super Duty 4X4
2008 Toyota Tocoma
Old 07-13-2011, 06:57 AM   #6

You may have trouble finding the thin luan that most manufacturers use in their trailers... I may be wrong, but, I believe it is ~3/32". Most big box lumber yards may only carry 1/8" as their thinnest, maybe even 5/32", in the A/B or A/C luan (A being the smoothest, B,C & D being rougher) In 4x8 foot panels you may only find 3/16" as their thinnest. If you have a custom cabinet shop in your area or a custom kitchen shop even, you may have better luck at a place like that. They usually carry 3/32" and 5/64" luan for cabinet work. In a pinch, you can probably make 1/8" work for you, but, it is going to be stiffer and you might need to dampen (not soak) one side slightly to aid in the flexibility for following the curve of the ceiling (if any; some ceilings are flat - would be a blessing for you )

If you have an RV repair shop in the area, they can certainly order the luan for you...they could even order it already pre-covered with the same contact surface covering use in trailers...

Unfortunately, we live in the boonies...no stores of any sort (17 miles one-way to get a dozen eggs ), so, I'm no longer real familiar with what the big box stores handle, hence my "suppositions". Fortunately for me, we live in a big forest area (my home is in the middle of a state forest) and local lumber mills are readily accessable.

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:19 AM   #7

That info my friend is a huge help. I live in the boonies as well but work in town so I will check around and my roof is flat so maybe I can use home depot. Thanks again.

2006 Funfinder X 189 FBR
2005 Ford F 350 Super Duty 4X4
2008 Toyota Tocoma