Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2021, 05:15 PM   #1

Default Sealing Seams, Gaps, Edges etc.

I have a 2007 189FBR l notice the plastic trim covering the seam over the sidewall and the lower diamond plate has shrunk. Is there a source for this material? It is 1 inch wide and snapped over the underlying trim which is actually fastening the wall and diamond plate together.That metal is 3/4" I think some of the screws under there are loose as well, at least at the front, where it is on a curved surface.
Also, what is the best caulk to use there and on the roof edge. I replaced the tail lights with LED units, and was impressed with the tenacity of whatever was used originally.

GaryR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 05:45 PM   #2
APD

Smile

Good reading here: https://www.smartrving.net/best-rv-caulks/

Not sure about your trim covers but you can contact these folks who may be able to help:https://www.recpro.com/rv-insert-trim/
I've bought several items from them and they are good folks.

Whatever you do never use silicone from your local hardware......

1994 GMC Camper Van,
APD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 11:43 PM   #3

Thanks for the info, Alan. I have already seen the site for rec pro. The link goes to "insert" trim, which is kind of the opposite of what I have. What I have resembles the two piece wiring ducts used in an office to secure the network cables, except the cover snaps over a metal base, which is covering a seam of dis-similar materials. I would describe it differently if I could think of a better word.
I will read the link about caulks.
What's wrong with hardware store silicone? Aside from it won't stick to polyethelene?
Old 08-06-2021, 08:06 AM   #4
APD

Gary search the web, which I guessing you're already doing.
Recpro customer service may be able to help. There are a few trim manufacturers online that may list their trim with cross sectional views to make matching up easier.

Silicone really won't stick to anything for the long haul. It'll stick to some surfaces for a short time, if they're cleaned and maybe primed. I've pulled enough of the stuff off that I could not recommend it's use. The hardware brands can be bargain made but high end priced. Other peoples experiences may be different.
1994 GMC Camper Van,
APD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 11:31 AM   #5

Make sure you don't let those areas open up. I ended up replacing the entire front of my trailer since the fiberglass is very thin and adhered over a corrugated cardboard. Not luann. Anyway don't use silicon. Sikaflex 221 is what you want.
Old 08-15-2021, 01:28 PM   #6

You can also use tremco dynomic 100
Old 08-15-2021, 06:59 PM   #7

Has anyone tested OSI Quad Max? It is often spec’d by architects for use on commercial buildings.
Old 08-16-2021, 06:30 PM   #8

Coming back asking again about the apparently unique trim used on the beltline on Funfinders. It has loosened up across the front seam, and will need to be caulked, and /or replaced. Does anyone know of a source for this stuff? Otherwise I am going to replace it with the "conventional" base with the snap in cover over the screws.
(Then caulk the snot out of it.)
Related question, how fragile is the wall structure, that is, is there any "meat" to support screws, or is that molding just clinging to the fiberglass skin. This is the lap joint where the diamond plate meets the fiberglass. do I dare use plastic anchors?
Old 09-09-2021, 06:34 PM   #9

Back again. I have removed the front molding and put a bead of caulk under the aluminum strip under the plastic molding at the front belt line, which covers where the diamond plate comes up to the fiberglass. I very carefully tightened those screws as they mostly depend on faith to hold into the fibreglass. There does not seem to be any wood behind there. I snapped the plastic trim back over that and caulked that on top, and will come back and do a more through job on the ends. I note with trepidition that the bottom of the diamond plate in front is missing screws.

I am a little bummed that there was not much response to my previous questions. I realize I have an older trailer, maybe I need to find a "heritage" site, not quite "antique" yet. But I find the same problem with the Xterra forum, all the people have moved on to newer trucks, the picture links don't work, the suppliers are gone.
Old 09-10-2021, 06:31 PM   #10

Gary, don't be discouraged by the lack of response. Your questions are getting read by a lot of us. But often, I don't post an answer when I have no clear idea on what to suggest.

Keep asking questions, and eventually you will hit on one that I know the answer to!