Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Tech > Modifications, Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-07-2014, 11:23 AM   #1

Default shadow cruiser ladder

Kinda wanna put a ladder on the backside of my shadow cruiser, to get to the roof, to clean & inspect, Dealer said supports might not be in the wall
for the screws, guess I'll have to give factory a call with a vin#, to find out. Anybody else come acroos the problem.

sc225rbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 01:02 PM   #2

Default Don't do it yet

I would not drill into the back wall unless you know exactly what you are doing. First, I am assuming it is fiberglass outside -- a hole could leak and could provide a place for a crack to start. Second, I doubt that the back wall is designed to take the stress of a ladder. Talk to the factory. They, of course, will say no because it is the safest thing for them to say. But you might be able to get the blueprints for the studs in the wall, and you might be able to use the studs to anchor the screws.

Good luck -- let us know how it goes!

profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 01:15 PM   #3

Here's a post similar to yours that I replied to... The explanation is kind of long, but, the meat of the matter is: I wouldn't.

Webslave's response to adding a ladder

If your trailer didn't have an "option" for a ladder, most likely the blocking isn't there.

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 04:09 PM   #4

Thanks for the advice, will do research thru the factory, shadow cruiser is fiberglass, will check to see if ladder is accessory to shadow cruiser, Did see shadow cruiser with back ladder during my travels one time.
sc225rbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 05:13 PM   #5

Never hurts to check with the factory, however, I suspect they will tell you that you don't have the proper in wall blockers to support a ladder properly. I just checked their site and they don't list a ladder option for any of the Shadow Cruiser line of trailers... If you saw one mounted, it was at the owner's discretion and, unless they peeled the paneling off and installed their own blockers between the aluminum studs and against the inside layer of the filon or fiberglass, they are apt to expose their unit to inside the wall leakage and delamination or cracking allowing water intrusion of the back wall...

If you are willing to take the risk, adding the ladder isn't difficult. I carried a collapsible extension ladder though since I wasn't willing to gamble on a potentially costly repair to the back wall. There are many stories out there of people that act first and think later; at least you are thinking first and will know the dangers going in

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 05:33 PM   #6

I asked about my Shadow Cruiser 195WBS through the online question form at Cruiser RV and the answer I received was that they don't manufacture these units that can handle a ladder. They don't have the strength built in on top of the roof to handle a ladder and weight on the ladder climbing up on the roof.

SJS1951 is offline   Reply With Quote