Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2019, 08:36 AM   #1

Default Shower Mod

Why does my shower trickle and have crappy pressure? Top left: Standard setup. Top right: turn off water at shower head, it trickles. Turn back on and it's usually a stream of cold water before returning to warm. Bottom left: tiny opening from fixture to hose. Enlarging will improve pressure to shower, BUT-increase water consumption (important if boon docking). Bottom right: shutoff valve (complete/no trickle). Keeps the water from trickling, pump cycling and should help keep water temp constant.
I researched this, but haven't tested yet. A pump and/or shore connection pushes water through the system (including water heater). The water pressure will be higher on the cold side (hot has to travel through heater). So-when you shut off the water (but allow a trickle), the water (gravity/no pressure) flows back down the plumbing. Pump senses lower pressure, cycles on, pushes cold water first/hot water doesn't have time to catch up (when the trickle style valve is in place). Then when full on, the flow of cold, followed by your originally set water temp as the hot catches up. By installing the no flow/no trickle shut off valve the water pressure should be maintained, temperature won't drop while you lather/slather up. Turn on and the temp shouldn't be drastically colder. Here's hoping.
Attached Thumbnails
Shower.jpg  

runner421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 09:20 AM   #2

Well, I wish it would work that way. We installed an instant on-instant off in-line valve on the shower hose -- it does cut the water off and on right away. But we still get a lag in the temp -- when I turn on the water with the valve, it still comes out too cool for just a second. Not cold, but not warm, either.

I hope yours works better than mine does!

Old 08-26-2019, 11:11 AM   #3

Well - good to know - I'll be testing soon. On the video I watched, the guy went one step further and installed a check valve on the hot water tube, just before the knob. But others were commenting that the check valve was unnecessary if the on/off valve doesn't permit a trickle. Guess I could try that next. I mean, if we're not camping, we're thinking of camping. Or working on our campers.
runner421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 01:15 PM   #4

When we first got are used FF, we had poor hot water flow at all the faucets. Turned out to be a malfunctioning check valve leading into the hot water tank.
twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote