Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2013, 03:25 PM   #1

Default Signal light not working properly

I have a 2008 - 210 Fun Finder and my right rear turn signal does not blink properly. The light does not completely go out when the turn signal is on. The light is bright but faintly dims on and off. Any suggestions as to where to start looking to repair this problem would be appreciated. I have replaced the bulb.

12volttnvol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:46 AM   #2

Sometimes the pins in the electrical plug to your tow vehicle just need to be straightened out. Also, be sure the pins are clean and not corroded. I purchased some electric cleaning spray which helps to keep the pins clean.

Old 04-11-2013, 11:47 AM   #3

If that one light is on "bright" all the time (the slight pulse you describe is caused by the bulb getting extra current and then not) you have a short circuit some where. The short is allowing full voltage to both elements of the bulb continuously, so, somewhere you have a 12v wire that is hot all the time contacting the wire for the second element, that which controls the brake and turn signal brightening. The devil will be in the details...read it is time to break out the VOM and start doing some testing. You'll have to start by getting the schematics for a 7-pin trailer harness so that you'll know which wires control what and then you'll have to start at the plug on the tow vehicle and start working back from there. If both plugs are good, then you'll need to trace the wires to the battery disconnect switch area; that's where the junction box will be located where the individual wires branch off of the main plug cable to go to each light.

Tracking down these types of wiring issues will test your patience, but, they can be found if you have the patience to keep analyzing the wiring. I once had a water heater that wouldn't light up and would have sworn that it was the controller board. Bought a new board and it still wouldn't light. Turns out it was splice that had gotten loose inside a wire nut. Tightened the wire nut and all was good. Takes patience and perseverance.

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:41 PM   #4

Default Turn Signal Woes

What is your tow vehicle? You may want to check the vehicle's turn signal flasher unit.
wouldie59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:49 PM   #5

2010 Silverado and the signal seems to work fine on it.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:40 PM   #6

Default Signal Malfunction

Our previous tow vehicle was a 2007 Silverado, and the right turn signal on our T-139 wasn't working. All turn signals on the truck worked just fine. After reading an article on GM flasher units causing problems with trailer signals, I replaced the flasher unit and the problem with the trailer went away. A good $12 investment to avoid wire tracing. Good luck.
wouldie59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:53 AM   #7

Default GM Flasher

I will be heading to the parts store ASAP. Thanks a million!
Old 04-18-2013, 11:55 AM   #8

Send a message via MSN to mosquitoman1
Default turn signal

If the flasher doesn't solve the problem (I suspect it won't make a difference). Check the ground between the TT and the tow vehicle. This can be done by attaching a test light to a clean ground spot on the TT and then on the tow vehicle, then try the lights or turn signal. It the test light lights up there is a bad ground between the TT and tow vehical. It sounds like the turn signal is back feeding the running lights looking for a ground. Since it is only the tight turn signal It is possible the back feed is in the lense housing its self and back feeding there. Good luck.
mosquitoman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:57 PM   #9

Default Fixed and I feel like an idiot

I hooked my utility trailer up to my truck and had the same problem. So I knew it had to be the truck. I climbed under to trace wires and realized the wires to the turn signal were coming from the front of the truck and so were the wires to the 7way plug. Ok may be a fuse so I got my owners manual and checked. SHAZAM! Low and behold fuse number 1 under the hood was trailer rh turn and stop. Pulled the fuse, it was burned out, replaced, problem fixed. Lesson learned check the fuses first. It seems if there is a factory tow package on the truck there are separate fuses for truck and trailer.