Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2016, 03:40 PM   #1

Default Simple FREE Shower Mod - Gains Amazing Space!

I just took some photos of the mod I did to my shower. I had already moved the shower head to the corner, which gains almost a foot of useable space. Since you are no longer standing in the short 24" dimension, you are now standing in the almost 3' diagonal dimension.

The 90' bend in the shower curtain track always annoyed me! I wanted to take the track down and replace it with a longer one, but everything I saw was EXPENSIVE. (and that's just not happening!)

Well, yesterday, I decided to just see what could be done with the existing track - AMAZING!!!! I gained almost 4" on each side, and got rid of that annoying 90' bend.

Pictures here - Wacky Pup

I can't wait to go camping!!!! We have another 2 month trip coming up in 2 weeks, but we want to go camping NOW LOL

Let me know what you think

Liz

Old 02-13-2016, 04:39 PM   #2

Liz,

That is fantastic! I will be looking to do this in the spring. While I have made the mod to the ceiling, I don't think it will be hard to update with a new rail installation.

Good stuff!

Ed

Ed Venture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 05:53 PM   #3

That looks like s good solution Liz. My only concern is with the left side being so far from the shower pan, but a longer curtain could reach as you said. I'm showing this to Paul to see what he thinks.
It's a big world...explore it!!!
Michigantraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 11:22 AM   #4

I commented on this yesterday, but it's not here so I guess it didn't go through. I agree, I'm thinking of moving the left side a little closer to the pan, however I also am going to replace the crappy shower surround with that nice vinyl stuff that Ed Venture used on his. He says there's lots of extra, so I might be able to make the surround wrap around a little farther. So I'm waiting until I get that to figure out if I want to move the shower curtain track.
Old 02-14-2016, 12:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintyLiz View Post
I commented on this yesterday, but it's not here so I guess it didn't go through. I agree, I'm thinking of moving the left side a little closer to the pan, however I also am going to replace the crappy shower surround with that nice vinyl stuff that Ed Venture used on his. He says there's lots of extra, so I might be able to make the surround wrap around a little farther. So I'm waiting until I get that to figure out if I want to move the shower curtain track.
Wouldn't you need a larger shower pan if you extended the surround? If water hit the surround it would end up on the floor beyond the pan.
Old 02-14-2016, 12:25 PM   #6

Well, if the shower curtain is in the shower the water will run to the shower pan. Some water may get on the wall if I extend the plastic farther than the shower pan, and I'm thinking that I can bend the bottom of the panel or even curve the whole side a little bit so that it angles any water back into the shower pan. It will be behind the toilet so it won't interfere with anything. I won't know for sure until I get my hands on the plastic panels Thursday. We live a long way from a Home Depot lol
Old 02-14-2016, 12:26 PM   #7

Besides, I always have to mop the whole bathroom every time we take a shower anyway because we get water everywhere now. So probably won't be any different lol
Old 02-14-2016, 12:37 PM   #8

I'm not convinced this is workable. Too jury rigged.
I'm considering this.
Bendable Shower Curtain Rod Curve Arch Custom Corner or any Free-Form you desire 10 feet long by ShowerAuthority White Finish https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002TZF4GO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_7AnWwbFCA2ZA7
Old 02-14-2016, 01:22 PM   #9

Um, seriously?? Jerry rigged? Okay, I won't barge into your camper and change yours. However, Its the same thing that was in the camper just a better shape lol. If you don't like it that far from the shower pan, screw that end in a little closer than I did. However, if you would like to buy me the $75 rod, feel free, that would be great. Otherwise, I can buy a couple tanks of gas with that money. Seriously, I'll be glad to send you my mailing address.
Old 02-14-2016, 01:24 PM   #10

Jerry Rigged is my middle name otherwise known as "vast improvement from original" lol
Old 02-14-2016, 01:36 PM   #11

Here is the ironclad rule: If no duct tape was involved, it wasn't jerry rigged.

Here is the corollary: even if it did involve duct tape, if it works and you like the result, that is all that matters.

And you may be interested to know that the term "jerry rigged" derives from the nautical term "jury rigged," which is a legitimate and ancient expression meaning "a temporary fix."
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 01:47 PM   #12

"ju·ry-rigged
ˈjo͝orēˌriɡd/
adjective
(of a ship) having temporary makeshift rigging.
NORTH AMERICAN
makeshift; improvised.
"jury-rigged classrooms in gymnasiums"

I'm sorry you are so upset. I was just giving my opinion on your idea of somehow bending a flat piece of sheet plastic into a shape that would drain into the existing shower pan. I am not the kind of person who Just agrees with every idea someone presents. I actually think about things and whether they are feasible. I did incidentally spend four years in carpentry apprentice classes and got my journeyman's certificate. I'm not just being "mean".
Old 02-14-2016, 02:03 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by profdant139 View Post
Here is the ironclad rule: If no duct tape was involved, it wasn't jerry rigged.

Here is the corollary: even if it did involve duct tape, if it works and you like the result, that is all that matters.

And you may be interested to know that the term "jerry rigged" derives from the nautical term "jury rigged," which is a legitimate and ancient expression meaning "a temporary fix."
Lol in this case jerry rigged came from my spell correct lol but I decided to leave it cuz I somehow knew it would irritate the person who said jury rigged.

By the way I was brought up in a household full of professional carpenters and my work is pretty damn good. Even for a girl. Even when someone calls it jerry rigged.

But, I am not upset and lol was a real description of what I was doing. I'm going to really enjoy my spacious new shower. Even if it gets the floor wet. Which it won't because I'm going to jerry rig it not to

Lol

Keep on truckin,
Old 02-14-2016, 03:41 PM   #14

"Lol in this case jerry rigged came from my spell correct lol but I decided to leave it cuz I somehow knew it would irritate the person who said jury rigged. "

I thought we were all adults on this forum. But your statement above tells me otherwise. I didn't realize irritating each other was something we should strive for on here.
Old 02-14-2016, 03:47 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantraveler View Post
I'm not convinced this is workable. Too jury rigged.
And you think calling someone's plan jury rigged is not irritating and insulting? I agree, we should be adults and not insult people. You're just mad because I thought of it first lol
Old 02-14-2016, 04:04 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintyLiz View Post
And you think calling someone's plan jury rigged is not irritating and insulting? I agree, we should be adults and not insult people. You're just mad because I thought of it first lol
Not at all. I would never think to do it that way. And I wouldn't. And you did say "Let me know what you think".
Old 02-14-2016, 06:37 PM   #17

Jerry-rigged....
I was told when I was a kid that it was a term picked up from our troops in Europe during WWI/WWII and it was also explained that way on the History Channel not too long ago...

The American Troops called the Germans "Gerries/Jerries" and if there was something poorly build or had to fixed in the field by makeshift methods, it was "Gerry/Jerry-Rigged"...

But I see all the explanations on line use more political correct explanations... I like the the the version I learned, but with that said... it is still a makeshift repair...

2013 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4 MAX Tow Package
2018 Dutchman, Coleman Lite 1805RB
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 07:26 PM   #18

There haven been some comments about the shower pan, length of curtain, and the potential of water splashing out with this mod. I can see how making the rod larger at the top could make it harder to keep the curtain in at the bottom.

I was poking around and stumbled on this image of what is supposedly a 2008 189 FBS:

I noticed that this unit had a much higher skirt around the shower pan than mine. It looks like it is a 6" - 8" lip that has been added to the stock shower pan. Does anyone out there have a shower pan skirt like this in their 189 FBS?

I am wondering if this is some after market splash guard of some sort. I did some searching, but I can't find anything listed as such, but I could totally be using the wrong words to describe what it is to Google.

Ed
Old 02-14-2016, 07:44 PM   #19

I see what you mean. It looks like a thicker platform too. I can't put a photo on here but I put one of my bath cabinet that shows a bit of our pan on my gallery.
Old 02-14-2016, 07:51 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantraveler View Post
I see what you mean. It looks like a thicker platform too. I can't put a photo on here but I put one of my bath cabinet that shows a bit of our pan on my gallery.
Makes me wonder if they replaced the whole pan. All I can find on my google quest is new corner shower pans with various apron heights.

Ed

Tags
camper mod, free mod, frugal, mod, shower mod