Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Tech > Modifications, Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-02-2010, 05:18 PM   #1

Default Skylight Bathroom

I found something interesting on our W210 model. After using it last weekend I found that there appeared to be water leaking down into the tub from the skylight. Fearing the worst I checked around it on the roof and found no cracks or missing sealant. Took off the flange that they have poking up through the hole and found that all they did was cut a hole in the roof, stick the skylight on it then put a flange in the hole to make it look good.
What was leaking was the condensation from taking a shower dripping down the foam then onto the flange. Closer inspection showed me that the ceiling panel where it was cut was starting to get wet and if left it would have started to rot. This would have happened to the roof wood as well. I got a tube of bathroom silicon and covered all the wood and foam up, let it dry then bolted the flange back in. Would have thought the factory would have done something instead of just hiding the problem. Makes me wonder how many other things are like this.

Citycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 08:58 AM   #2

Default skylite in BR

When I bought our 189FBS, there was a hairline crack in the skylite. They were going to repair it on warranty, but I asked them to replace it with a common screened vent with the lid that cranks up and down. This gives much more ventilation in the BR during and after a shower, so am quite happy with the conversion.

flugelboneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:10 AM   #3

Tried calling the manu about the possibility of some relief on the repair of my trailer.. Couldn't get beyond the switchboard operator Peggy...Left one message with parts to try to figure out if they have available a lower skylight vapor barrier..The dealer would do nothing and refered me to the factory...
cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 12:21 PM   #4

Be careful if you don't have the lower skylight or vapor barrier..The 2010 shadow cruisers don't have them and also the fun finder w210 ,I don't know the exact year of the w210..The condensation from the skylight could cause severe damage...
Old 06-30-2012, 08:20 PM   #5

Default w210 and Skylight Bathroom

Two questions. What is/are the " w210 " models exactly. We have the 210uds 2013. Is that the same? Also, could you better describe the way to inspect the skylite for that potential problem? Ours is in the shower. There is also an electric fan over the toilet. Thank you for your help.
mooneybeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:13 AM   #6

I just replaced the skylight due to a hairline crack.
It was only $15.00 at funfinder,easy install.
There was no damage due to condensation.
Dry as a bone.

When taking a shower the fan should be run during shower and at least 5 minutes after .
The A/C could help with moisture also.
2017 Keystone Summerland 1750RD
fourfourto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 01:58 PM   #7

Default Thank you for Skylite info 210uds 210 uds

Thank you for the info! We took pictures after inspecting it from the inside and there is an area that can do with more sealant for sure. We are having the roof inspected by a local mobile RV service guy. It's a new trailer, but we all know that means nothing. We're giving it a close inspection (including the skylite) before it's maiden voyage.
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-4...2/IMG_5809.JPG

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-k...0/IMG_5812.JPG
Old 07-01-2012, 05:38 PM   #8

Default Re: Thank you for Skylite info 210uds 210 uds

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooneybeem
Thank you for the info! We took pictures after inspecting it from the inside and there is an area that can do with more sealant for sure. We are having the roof inspected by a local mobile RV service guy. It's a new trailer, but we all know that means nothing. We're giving it a close inspection (including the skylite) before it's maiden voyage.
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-4...2/IMG_5809.JPG

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-k...0/IMG_5812.JPG
My suggestion to you is to get "really good" at inspecting your camper very closely at every seam on the outside. You'll need to get the step ladder out and really get "eyes on" to find ( and seal ) even the tiniest opening. I use what the dealer recommends, which is Dicor 501 LSW. It can be a little tricky to use "neatly", but it sure seems to work well.

By the way, if you want your pictures to show in your post, put "[img]" in front on the link and "[/img]" at the end of the link. Without the quotation marks.

george
gmw photographics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:34 PM   #9

Default Inspecting Trailer and Inserting Pictures

Thanks for the info! "Dicor 501 LSW"

This is my attempt at inserting a pic....
Old 07-01-2012, 09:50 PM   #10

Default skylight

The factory had manufactured in the 2010 shadow cruisers and according to citycamper a model in the w210 series (year unknown),skylights without the lower skylight..The lower skylight prevents most humidity from forming on the outer skylight...The pictures I've seen so far that have been posted are pictures of the lower (inner)skylight...If your trailer was manufactured WITHOUT the lower skylight and you do a lot of camping be aware that condensation will form on the skylight and it has no place to go but into the structure of the trailer or drip into the bath tub as written by citycamper...Unfortunately for me the condensate didn't drip into the tub but got soaked up into the foam and wood roof decking which migrated to the wall of the trailer near the skylight and now I have major delamination...It takes time for the delamination to take place,more than a year, just enough time for the warrenty to expire..
Old 07-05-2012, 01:40 PM   #11

My 210 is a 2010. I just pulled off the trim for the skylight to see if the silicon has done its job and it is dry with no rot, so the calking that I put in place has done it's job. I have noticed that there are lots of places where water can intrude into these units and have been going around and filling in the gaps. A large one that I found was under the sofa in the slide. After driving through a rainstorm on the way home we found that there was water leaking from under the sofa. Fearing that the slide had leaked I took off the front sofa panel and noticed that I could see daylight where the side of the RV was mated to the wheel wells (not the slide). No calking here at all and where they had cut the side panel it looked like somebody had done it freehand without a template. Used foam sealant here and on the other side which was just as bad. Also where the locks are on the access panels I found the black rubber rings had rotten out and in taking them out found the wood under the fiberglass was wet. I sealed them up good but fear they will start to delaminate, not good. At least I can work on these but for many it would be a trip to the dealer and without warranty a hefty cost.

Citycamper is offline   Reply With Quote