Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2011, 09:03 PM   #1

Default Slide 189FDS

Can someone explane how to close the slide manually on a 189FDS. I was not given any info on the slide,stablizers,or elect jack from my cheap dealer who does not realy seen to care. It would be nice if you had some pictures. thanks in advance. Salty

Saltynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:11 AM   #2

Salty, not much help on this one...maybe someone with a 189 will chime in. My '08 model doesn't have the "full slide" of the newer models. On mine the slide drive mechanism is mounted up high, fully inside the TT and under the couch. It is mounted to the underside of the platform that the gaucho style sofa sits on. The drive shaft has a hex shaped end on it that can be turned by a standard socket wrench and can be accessed from the end of the couch using an extension or from under the couch without an extension.

With the newer "full slide" (ceiling to floor, deep), I suspect the drive mechanism has been moved outside along the frame (street side). I'm not even sure of the drive style used in the newer units, it may be cable, hydraulic ram (doubtful) or ladder and gear (as mine is), but, if you look at the underside of your slide, you should be able to see the cables, rams or ladder tracks and follow those back to the motor enclosure. On the enclosure, you should find an access plug and removing that, gain access to the "manual" fitting, most probably a socket fitting. I may be able to help more after this weekend, if nobody else chimes in, as I'm going down to MD to install a power jack and MaxAir II on a friend's '11 214WSD and his has the newer style "full slide" and I'll check his drive mechanism as part of my being "nosy"

As for the power jack...if you didn't get a "special wrench", then the manual operation is done using a socket wrench. If it is an UltraFab style jack (or any of the other more popular models), then on the head of the jack you should find a "plug", probably about 1" in diameter that you would pop out. Inside, you should find a hex head that a wrench would attach to. I can't remember the sizes of the wrenches needed for either as I've never had to use them. I added my UltraFab jack (it wasn't available as a factory option in '08 ) and I remember testing the manual operation of the slide and jack when the TT was new, but, never having used them since the "test" I did, I've forgotten what sizes they are. I carry a full set of tools, including 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 inch sockets, so, remembering the sizes has never been important to me...

If nobody else "chimes in", I'll try and remember to come back to this thread after I "play" with my friend's 214WSD this coming weekend, I may be better able to answer your question then...

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 04:10 PM   #3

Theres a bolt head at the end of the spinde you sould see it easy from the side or recline and take a peek.
I forgot the size but a standard ratchet kit shoul have it.
2017 Keystone Summerland 1750RD
fourfourto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:06 PM   #4

Default Slide manual 189FDS

Hi Guys it's me again. Just received a manual in pdf form from my dealer all to do with the slide on a ff 189FDS. Mantance and a trouble sheet. If you want a copy send me your email address and I'll send you a copy. Salty
Saltynuts is offline   Reply With Quote