Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2012, 12:57 PM   #41

1. Added the Barker VIP 3500lbs. 24" Electric Jack with Cover
2. Added shelf extensions next to both rockers (rear Window Model)
3. Added Kitchen Counter Extension (Custom Cut to exactly match the Curve of the Counter)

Just the beginning. Just bought in April. I have a few more ideas, just looking for the right parts to meke them work.

V-8 5.7 Hemi
Rus Lwt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:01 AM   #42

Default The "fridge gap"

Fred, I am all about using every nook and cranny -- but I have not touched the area above the fridge, which is for ventilation. My concern would be overheating of the fridge hardware. Maybe I am being too conservative, but I do not want to ruin the fridge -- very expensive to replace.

profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:50 AM   #43

Default Re: The "fridge gap"

Quote:
Originally Posted by profdant139
Fred, I am all about using every nook and cranny -- but I have not touched the area above the fridge, which is for ventilation. My concern would be overheating of the fridge hardware. Maybe I am being too conservative, but I do not want to ruin the fridge -- very expensive to replace.
THX profdant, I totally agree, that's why I was asking if anyone had looked into it ... I too tend to stay on the conservative side in these matters! Find it's less expensive in the long run!

I may have my dealer check with Cruiser. I had the same thoughts you note until we looked at some trailers at a couple RV shows last month that had the same basic install of the same model Fridge. These had a small door installed in that space that opened upward. Technically, the space was higher because the inside ceiling was higher, but the bottom of the space inside was only about 2" max above the top fridge trim. I was thinking of a handy space to store the 'fold flat' plastic sink dish drainer and a light cutting board, etc. Not adding things as much as making access as easy as possible!

If factory can tell me this is reasonable, I'll get that posted.

2012 FF X-214WSD
2010 RAM 1500 Crew Cab 4x4, 5.7 Hemi MDS, Huskey 1200lb trunnion WD, Prodigy Brake
Yamaha EF2000i
Prion Seayak Kayaks
fischnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:48 AM   #44
Site Team

Fred,

You can download the installation manual specific to your model from Dometics website, www.dometic.com. It lists the required clearance dimension for proper operation.
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:12 AM   #45

LJAZ; .... Now there's what ought to be an obvious suggestion! That likely is as good or better than the factory tech's answer! THX much!

2012 FF X-214WSD
2010 RAM 1500 Crew Cab 4x4, 5.7 Hemi MDS, Huskey 1200lb trunnion WD, Prodigy Brake
Yamaha EF2000i
Prion Seayak Kayaks
Old 06-21-2012, 08:25 PM   #46

Default Very encouraging

Fred, if you saw a factory built unit with stuff stored on top of the fridge, that is great news -- that space would be perfect for our cocktail tray! (You know, the tray that one uses to carry the supplies to the camp chairs that are all set up for late afternoon refreshments -- a key part of camping!)
Old 06-22-2012, 12:42 PM   #47

Yes indeed! I think dbl checking the Dometic specs on clearance as LJAZ suggested is the best way to go. I'm tending less and less to trust factory's always doing what is the best engineering on these things! I think bottom line for them is whatever is lowest cost / or sells the product that will get through the warranty period most of the time!

My list has a 'couple' other items on it before I get to that project, so if you get to it first, please post. Otherwise, I'll do the same!

2012 FF X-214WSD
Yamaha EF2000i
Prion Seayak Kayaks
Old 06-29-2012, 10:41 PM   #48

Default Fred, don't open up the top of the fridge -- monoxide!

I looked at the top of my fridge, thinking about opening it up -- and I realized that the flue from the propane flame vents into that space, and the fumes go out the screen on the side of the trailer. So there is no way we can open up the top of the fridge for extra storage -- the fumes are full of carbon monoxide, which could build up inside the trailer.

Maybe there is a way to mitigate the risk, but it is too chancy for my blood!
Old 07-06-2012, 12:11 PM   #49

That is definitely a required consideration, you never want to mess with CO! I know that our fridge vents through the vent cap on the roof ... so I 'assumed' that the vent was enclosed in duct work from the back of the unit to the roof vent. Of course any ducting would need to be adequately protected.

Since I'm getting to know a couple of the techs at my dealer fairly well (not sure if that is a good indicator of the last 6 months or not ...) and maybe they have personal knowledge of the space and duct work up there.

2012 FF X-214WSD
Yamaha EF2000i
Prion Seayak Kayaks
Old 10-13-2020, 11:25 AM   #50

Added a storage rack to the rear, and a Baby Bumper to save my noggin,
Attached Thumbnails
rear rack.jpg   baby bumper.jpg  
wishuwerehere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 03:24 PM   #51

This thread is amazing, gave me so many ideas. I have a bunch of stuff on order and some that arrived today. I promise to take some pictures once I install some of this list this weekend "should be here by Friday".

2015 242BDS

1. Installation of a 40inch tv/switch/xbox (I'm turning the current 27inch tv in towards the bedroom permanently and installing the 40 on the other side facing the couch/kitchen)

2. Replacing all speakers with Polk Audio DB 522 (The elite speakers installed were all blown) *Funny note after researching a radio replacement, I'm going to keep my current one (Elite) as its not broken and there really isn't anything better unless I get over a thousand dollars which I'm not willing to spend right now.

3. Installation of led underglow lights across the entire bottom "for when parked" on the door side of the trailer.

^^ These will be done this weekend pictures to come

4. Install fan(s) in the bedroom for air movement when not wanting to pop the skylight.

5. Install tv on the pull out outdoors kitchen set (not sure how I'm going to accomplish this yet but I will!

6. We loved the mats on the pull out stairs in this thread, going to take a stab at doing that with some type of material, my wife will be custom making that.
maveric7911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 04:23 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van View Post
32 views and only one response. Ugg. This is why Cruiser RV really needs to host and provide their own forums for the owners of the trailers.
It'd be a lot more if it had some pictures. Here are mine. X230DS Bathroom Remodel.
Attached Thumbnails
20201005_183419.jpg   20201005_183438.jpg   20201002_122537.jpg   20201005_183459.jpg   20201006_165816.jpg  

E4BAEROSPACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 07:32 AM   #53

Wife likes it totally dark for sleeping and some campgrounds have bright street lights that the factory pull down 'shades' do not block out.

Purchased some insulated drapes on closeout sale at local store, cut/hemmed them to slightly larger than camper window size and with Velcro attachment, easily install & cover the windows in a few minutes and same to remove in the morning. Simply fold and put in cabinet when not in use.

Happy wife = happy life

Old 07-10-2021, 10:25 PM   #54

We would love to see pics of your modification.
Dagart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 10:36 PM   #55

Default Cabinet questions

We have a x160 we. We are planning on installing an upper 12” x 12” x 30” cabinet to replace the radio cabinet. The area above our small flat screen. This is the other side of the bathroom wall.
What type of cabinets have you installed? Did you build them or install a prebuilt unit?
Attached Thumbnails
306AC4D8-F4A2-4892-B6C7-A7FF1612AACC.jpeg  
Dagart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 10:16 AM   #56

I built some of my cabinetry, using quarter-inch Baltic birch plywood -- very strong and light. But not cheap, unfortunately.

It's hard to find pre-made cabinets that are exactly the right size. Plus they tend to include particle board, which is both heavy and weak. But cheap.
Old 07-11-2021, 02:21 PM   #57

We bought our 2010 189FBR in 2015. Over the years of ownership I have done the following mods, many of which I have detailed in earlier posts:

1. Removed the bunk bed and made a raised shelf with swing gate.
2. Made a detachable outdoor two burner stove.
3. Added a wall switch for an electric water heater function.
4. Direct wired the breakaway switch to the battery (bypassing the master switch).
5. Added lights to entry steps.
6. Added a water pickup hose to get more water out of fresh water tank due to bad design.
7. Added wireless camera to show traffic behind trailer.
8. Installing 100 watt solar panel to roof and a 50 watt portable plug in panel and controller.
9. Run coaxial TV cable and power to front (near sleeping area) and install USB charging ports.
10. New shower head and sink faucet.
12. New LED bulbs throughout.
13. Replaced the old battery box with larger and installed a group 29 size Deep Cycle battery.
14. Replaced stock electric brake magnets to stop squeal.
15. Added low voltage alarm.
16. Regrettably installed a Maxxfan, the modified it.
17. Added a second light to the storage pass-thru compartment.
twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 07:46 AM   #58

Repurposed a couple of Wally World wood crates into pantry/cabinets for the repurposed former top bunk. Used thin plywood for doors and added Hobby Lobby Bears for effect.
Attached Thumbnails
cABINETS.jpg  
wishuwerehere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 12:48 PM   #59

Not much, mostly bolt on type stuff.

I did wire in another ciggy lighter and two USB ports with an on/off switch.

Also added a fan for the fridge, it's helped a bit with removing hot air from around the unit.

Added solar panels to the roof.

Replaced the single battery with dual 6v golf cart batteries.
Xerofall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 01:51 PM   #60

Added 400w in solar, power tongue jack, auto satellite dish and generator! Loving it all!

gclanzy is offline   Reply With Quote