Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2020, 06:38 PM   #1

Default Stabilizer jack motor

2011 FF xt245. Front stabilizer Motor is incredibly noisy. Anyone have any suggestions to quiet it down or had this problem before? Thank you

Wil8701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 07:06 AM   #2

Looks like you posted this a 01:38 AM, it's so noisy it's keeping you up at night? Joking. . .
If it were mine, I'd trouble shoot to listen if the noise is coming from the motor, from the gear/connecting rod from motor to jack, or if it's a jack that's out of alignment. If anything seems to be making noise due to being out of line, well, maybe something bent? If it's due to friction, consider WD-40 to clean out dirt/mud/rock/gravel/dust etc. Then try lubing up with some grease (which will, over time, attract dirt and such). If it's a noisy motor - well, then, maybe involve replacing?

runner421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 04:31 PM   #3

My 2009 came with manual stabilizers but with a power tongue jack. Standard was a moderately noisy worm gear with an electric motor. I found that it did get noisier and it drew more power (it wouldn't run on battery alone, requiring either shore power or the truck connection) until it simply quit. I suspect that if you notice both louder operating and it slows down, the jack is on its way to failure.

Lippert jacks have a clutch which should not slip during normal operation. It will cause excessive wear on both the clutch and the motor if it does. Assuming you're not overloading it, I think there are just two (main) reasons for the clutch or motor to fail: gear drag from a lubrication failure or gear jamming if the leg has taken a hit and is warped in the the tube.

My jack should be repairable but I have to admit that I didn't bother; I simply replaced it.
2013 GMC Sierra
NorthPuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 09:10 AM   #4

Well after removing the motor I took it apart and cleaned all the tiny gears then applied a small amount of grease then reinstalled everything. It works perfect now.
Thank you for your input.
On to next problem.
George
Old 12-05-2020, 09:21 AM   #5

Ok I took it all apart, cleaned it then applied grease to all tiny gears and put all back together and it works now and quiet like the other three jack motors.
Thank you for your input and I’m sure I will need help on other mysteries.
George
Old 12-05-2020, 05:10 PM   #6

Before purchasing my unit, read about all the issues with electric stabilizers so didn't get that option. Glad I didn't. Never an issue using my rechargable Dewalt drill and a socket.