Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Tech > Modifications, Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-29-2016, 04:25 AM   #1

Default Stereo replacement

Has anyone replaced the stereo/entertainment center that came as original equipment in their older Fun Finder? We didn't get the remote with our used unit and a replacement is not available. We would like a similar unit with Bluetooth. The brand appears to be Q something.
I will try to add photo, but they never work for me for some reason.

From a previous thread I found this refurbished unit, though it is smaller and would require modifications.
http://www.concertone.com/zx85r.html

It's a big world...explore it!!!
Michigantraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 07:32 AM   #2

Watch out -- you may end up buying a good new radio, only to discover that it does not work well in your RV. Many folks (including me) have found that there is radio frequency interference coming from the converter. This is not the fault of the RV manufacturer -- many converters cause this problem. I think there may be filters available to fix it.

Bring an ordinary portable radio into your RV, turn it on, and move around inside the cabin -- you may be surprised by what you find (and not in a good way).

profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 08:10 AM   #3
Site Team

I've just started looking into this a little as the unit in mine has develop occasional skip issues with CD's and won't recognize some DVDs. From an internet search I've found 5 different manufacturers: Jensen, Concertone, Furrion, Magnadyne & iRV. Reading other peoples experience on RVNET the threads generally bash Jensen and Concertone and devolve into a discussion of using home or high end car stereo components to build your own. My trailer came with a Jensen and it has worked OK, but it's always been a bit finicky. The Concertones seem to run the priciest while the others are pretty comparably priced. I just don't know if there is any real difference between these brands or if they all are just different labels slapped onto units made by the same company.
I'm not looking for or expecting audiophile quality, just dependable functionality. I've just begun researching this so I really haven't come to a conclusion about what is the best way to go. So I'd love to hear what others have done.
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 08:56 AM   #4

We don't listen to the radio. We would mainly want to use it for mp3's and cd's. But we want Bluetooth as well. We use Apple TV a lot and the ultimate would be a setup like we have at home...streaming to the tv from the iPhone. We don't have cable tv either. Just DSL Internet. The RV specified units are supposed to have better vibration protection. We haven't had a chance to try out the unit in the RV yet but it does not have Bluetooth. The tv (heier) also does not have hdmi. Technology!!! I guess the ultimate installation would allow us to use the wiring harness that is already there.
Old 01-29-2016, 10:57 AM   #5

If I recall, I think I tried the radio when we picked up the unit at the dealer just to see if it worked. Never listen to one.
Old 01-29-2016, 01:32 PM   #6

When we went to the dealer to see our used RV and did look at it the dealer had everything on in the service area. The radio was on and it was loud static. Of course it was inside at the time. I asked him to turn it off. So who knows? I would also like to replace the weird looking microwave with a microwave/convection oven since there is no oven. $200 same make.
Old 01-29-2016, 02:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantraveler View Post
When we went to the dealer to see our used RV and did look at it the dealer had everything on in the service area. The radio was on and it was loud static. Of course it was inside at the time. I asked him to turn it off. So who knows? I would also like to replace the weird looking microwave with a microwave/convection oven since there is no oven. $200 same make.

We special ordered XT 276 and the wife wanted the microwave/convection oven so ordered it. I don't recall what the extra charge was anymore.

We have used the microwave but for some reason, she has NEVER used the convection part.

Every camping season she says, "Gonna have to figure out how the convection works and try it" ........... hasn't happened yet tho! LOL
Old 01-29-2016, 03:22 PM   #8

Sounds about right. We have a convection oven here at home but never use it. But in the camper it would be the only one so we probably might. Maybe bake s batch of cookies? Did you get a recipe book with it? The do cut the baking time down. But probably heat up the RV as well.
Old 01-29-2016, 05:56 PM   #9

I'm not sure about the recipe book but seems the instruction manual did have a few recipes in it.....would have to look again as haven't opened it since 2012!
Old 01-30-2016, 07:03 AM   #10

Sounds like us. Sometimes we skip the manual all together rather than plow through it. Lol!
Old 01-30-2016, 08:23 AM   #11
Site Team

Ha - convection oven. The DW wanted that in the oven we bought for the house. She hasn't used it once in the 3 years since we bought it.

As for blueray - I haven't found a single stereo/TV system designed for an RV that will play blueray. Stand alone 12 v blueray is the only option for that.
Old 01-30-2016, 08:44 AM   #12

Actually, we don't cook alot when out with the camper. The wife says "I should be on vacation too!"
So may make something for breakfast and for the evening meal, grill a steak but otherwise eat elsewhere.....excluding a few snack we carry with.
Old 01-30-2016, 10:04 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJAZ View Post
Ha - convection oven. The DW wanted that in the oven we bought for the house. She hasn't used it once in the 3 years since we bought it.

As for blueray - I haven't found a single stereo/TV system designed for an RV that will play blueray. Stand alone 12 v blueray is the only option for that.
We have a blu-Ray DVD player at home. Used it maybe 6 times. Played a few cd's on it through the Bose speakers but that's about it. Netflix and Amazon prime for movies, mp3's, YouTube, etc. for music. I have a lot of cd's but they just sit on a shelf. I guess I would take a few of them in the camper though since we won't have internet much. We are retired so every day is vacation day. We don't have weekends. "What day is it?" Is a frequent question we ask each other. Lol! 50 years of working for other people was enough!
Old 01-31-2016, 08:49 AM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
Actually, we don't cook alot when out with the camper. The wife says "I should be on vacation too!"
So may make something for breakfast and for the evening meal, grill a steak but otherwise eat elsewhere.....excluding a few snack we carry with.
The wife actually loves to cook, it's a hobby for her, and she's chef level good at it. She preps everything ahead of time so as not to spend too much time getting it ready on the trailer. But we eat well when camping!
Old 01-31-2016, 09:10 AM   #15
APD

When we camp in the van (and most times in the FF) we prepare ahead. Grill hamburger sliders and stack 'em in a wide mouth jar. As they cool the jar seals so they can be dropped in the cooler with the cold drinks. Saves our limited refrig space for veggies and other stuff. Pop 'em in the micro and lunch is ready in a few minutes.
We do the same for bacon and sausage. Drop in the jar warm and, when cool, pack 'em in the cooler.
1994 GMC Camper Van,
APD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 09:13 AM   #16
APD

Works for homemade vegetable soup and even beef stew too. Heat in the crock pot for a while and it's ready.
1994 GMC Camper Van,
Old 01-31-2016, 09:16 AM   #17
APD

OH! This was about a stereo wasn't it?
1994 GMC Camper Van,
Old 01-31-2016, 09:35 AM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by APD View Post
OH! This was about a stereo wasn't it?
Yup - lets get this back on the rails. We use our stereo system quite a bit. After a day of enjoying the campground, we love to sit outside with an adult beverage and listen to CD's and then in the evening after dinner watch DVD movies. So we use ours quite a bit. I'm leaning toward this one offered by Crutchfield:iRV iRV33 Multimedia receiver for RVs at Crutchfield.com
Anyone have any experience with iRV?
Old 01-31-2016, 10:28 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJAZ View Post
Yup - lets get this back on the rails. We use our stereo system quite a bit. After a day of enjoying the campground, we love to sit outside with an adult beverage and listen to CD's and then in the evening after dinner watch DVD movies. So we use ours quite a bit. I'm leaning toward this one offered by Crutchfield:iRV iRV33 Multimedia receiver for RVs at Crutchfield.com
Anyone have any experience with iRV?
This sounds like exactly what I am looking for.

Amazon has that for $299 plus $8 shipping. Only 1 review and not a good one. But the reviewer is suspect in my opinion. Amazon does have buyer protection and they have always been amazing with any problems or returns I have had, including not charging for return shipping usually. But the seller on there doesn't seem to have much of a track record on there either.
---------------
HOLD ON. READ these user comments on this forum.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...lem-69891.html
Old 01-31-2016, 06:56 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantraveler View Post
Has anyone replaced the stereo/entertainment center that came as original equipment in their older Fun Finder? We didn't get the remote with our used unit and a replacement is not available. We would like a similar unit with Bluetooth. The brand appears to be Q something.
I will try to add photo, but they never work for me for some reason.

From a previous thread I found this refurbished unit, though it is smaller and would require modifications.
GT-2.0 Refreshed Units
Hi Michigantraveler,
I don't know if this will help you and I hope I am not too late, but if it is as cold at your house as it is at mine, you may not have changed your Radio yet.

I replaced my AM/FM/CD/Etc. Mod. CDX-GT61OUI Sony Radio last year. The radio came on, but removable faceplate would not light up; kind of like someone was home, but the lights were out.

I decided to stay with the same brand and went Sony to Sony ---
I went down to Wally World and picked up a Sony (Mod. CDX-G315OUP)... (about $50 or $60) I did a net search for the manual for the old radio, copied the wiring diagram, and compared the old with the new Radio and... Yea, the hook-up was the same and even had the same wiring harness color coding, i.e., Red to Red, Yellow to Yellow, Green to Green, etc. ...

Easy Peasy, I pulled the old Radio out, cut the new wires to the right length, soldered all wires, and covered with shrink wrap. Installed the new radio ... all took about an hour or so and the Radio works great ... AM, FM, CD, Bluetooth, and my favorite, the USB input. No noise, no interference...

Good luck and I suggest that you check the wiring compatibility before buying...

2013 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4 MAX Tow Package
2018 Dutchman, Coleman Lite 1805RB
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote