Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Tech > Modifications, Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-15-2021, 04:12 PM   #1

Default stumped, Cant fix my window leak

Good day, I have a 16ft 2009 funfinder x-160, and noticed a water stain / leak coming from my window. I went ahead and attempted to repair it myself. I resealed the entire roof (Dicor rubber roof sealer) + resiliconed the entire trailer, then I removed the window and noticed the wood on the top part of the window frame opening was wet + slightly rotted. I resealed the window with new putty and sealed the window with RV silicone. Its stored outside for winter and after a few months I went in to check in on it and noticed water streaks in the same spot as before, I’m going crazy trying to hunt the leak, is there any advice at what I’m doing wrong, or how to fix this.
Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
20210123_150442.jpg   WindowLeak_1.jpg  

camper16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 05:03 PM   #2

I hate to say this, but this might be a roof leak. The stain is horizontal -- if it were hanging down vertically, I would say it is a window leak. It looks more like there is a small leak where the front cap joins the roof.

The water then runs down the wall and emerges at the seam in the paneling.

I hope I am wrong -- a window leak is much easier to fix.

Old 02-15-2021, 05:30 PM   #3

Hi profdant, the top picture might be a bit confusing. it actually got posted sideways. if you see the picture with the red arrow and look to the bottom left you'll see the leak stains. I hope its not a roof leak
camper16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 09:27 PM   #4

Whew! Now I get it. Yes, definitely a window leak, thank goodness. Did you use butyl tape? And did you fully remove all of the old caulking?

Fixing a window takes two people, but it is not rocket science. You can do it yourself, or you can also have a window repair outfit take care of it for you.

I had an identical leak on my old T-139, a 2003 model. I unscrewed the window, removed it, cleaned it all up, installed butyl tape, and re-installed the window. The leak was fixed.

Then, on my newer X-139, we were parked in an RV park in 110 degree heat, and they turned on the sprinklers, which splashed my window with very cold water. The window cracked due to thermal shock.

Instead of doing it myself this time, we took the trailer to a pro. It was not a cheap repair, but it saved me a lot of labor at a time when I was very busy. (Now I am retired and would do it myself!)
Old 02-21-2021, 12:33 PM   #5

Actually Profdant139 may had been correct that the could be at the roof - where the membrane is sealed to the front cap and the corner trim and the gutter (lots of stuff intersecting in one spot)

Pull the window frames and inspect the wall cavity. You’ll be able to see the source.

If it is the window, it needs to be pulled anyways to replace the butyl tape for resealing.