Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Tech > Modifications, Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-22-2016, 03:19 PM   #1

Unhappy Stupid probably expensive error ... Aka front window rock guard

Starting out on our second 2 month adventure for the year. We made it all the way from Texas to California, 10 days with no problems. Starting out this morning for the last one and a half hour leg of our trip, I forgot to lock down the front window rock guard. About 5 minutes from our destination, The rock guard blew off and crashed across the Interstate, fortunately not damaging anything or anyone. However now I have no guard on my front window. Any suggestions for 1 - a cheap and effective temporary fix, and 2 - an inexpensive permanent fix.

Old 06-22-2016, 03:34 PM   #2

For a easy/quick/cheap temporary repair, I'd go to Lowe's or Home Depot and get a piece of the thickest , heaviest plastic sheeting ( drop cloth, in the paint dept ) and wrap it around the thickest piece of corrugated cardboard you can find. Gorilla tape to secure the plastic around the cardboard, and to secure the piece to the trailer.
If you are at a campground, check the dumpster for a good piece of cardboard.

EDIT: dumpster diving is a good place to find stuff like cardboard or other emergency repair items. For instance, someone in camp may have just bought a new TV set, and tossed the box. Nice thick, large pieces of cardboard. It's amazing the stuff people discard.

gmw photographics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 03:44 PM   #3

As for the permanent repair, you can possibly make a repair using a piece of FRP paneling. It's really going to depend on how close to "original" it is going to have to look to make you happy.
I can envision making it..... and I will admit, it would be a multi hour project.

The other possibility is turning it in to your insurance if you have the coverage for it, although you'll be dealing with the deductible on it. It's really going to depend on "perfect" the repair is going to have to look when all done.

I'm always afraid I'll forget something, so I use a printed checklist each and every time. I failed to use my checklist one time, and as I pulled out of the CG, a glance in the mirror.... I saw my emergency window was not latched.
Old 06-22-2016, 04:47 PM   #4

What GMW said above ... or I was thinking of a piece of heavy plexiglas slightly larger than the window opening and held on with Gorilla tape.... as good as military 100 mph tape!

Just a thought
Old 06-22-2016, 05:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw photographics View Post
As for the permanent repair, you can possibly make a repair using a piece of FRP paneling. It's really going to depend on how close to "original" it is going to have to look to make you happy.
I can envision making it..... and I will admit, it would be a multi hour project.
I'm always afraid I'll forget something, so I use a printed checklist each and every time. I failed to use my checklist one time, and as I pulled out of the CG, a glance in the mirror.... I saw my emergency window was not latched.
Yes I definitely need a better list!! Regarding repairs I care not how close to original it is... The more custom the better. Eccentric looking perhaps but not homeless hoarder looking ha

What is this frp? How thick? Is it strong enough to simply frame and mount? I have a piece of the panel from my shower remodel, but I don't think it's fiberglass reinforced, so probably won't hold up.

Thanks for the idea!
Old 06-22-2016, 05:39 PM   #6

Hubby has put cardboard up to keep the sun out, we'll wrap it in plastic, we are heading to Oregon/Washington in the middle of July, so maybe I need to make some spares. Lol it will be quite awhile before I am home to make permanent repairs.
Old 06-22-2016, 05:45 PM   #7

Yes, you'll be surprised how well a piece of cardboard wrapped in plastic will hold up.

FRP = fiberglass reinforced plastic. It's thin, you have seen it like in shower enclosures, etc. It's about 3/32" thick. Easy to work with, waterproof of course.
Old 06-22-2016, 06:33 PM   #8

I wonder if plexi would keep it cool? That is one advantage to a solid cover, plus I had added foam board insulation.
Old 06-22-2016, 07:02 PM   #9

My 139X has this window. New White Kinro 48x22 RV Trailer Greenhouse Picture Window Rock Guard B701 740 | eBay

It might fit a 189. Not a bad price and you get a spare window. If you don't want the glass, they might ship the rock guard only to save shipping cost
GrandpaX10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 10:23 AM   #10

Great! It's actually a little bigger than mine but I could make it work. How much did the shipping cost?
Old 06-23-2016, 06:46 PM   #11

When I said "My 139X has this window" I meant it came with it from the factory. I don't know what shipping would be.
GrandpaX10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 11:31 AM   #12

Oh lol thanks. I thought that might be what you meant.
Old 06-28-2016, 09:30 PM   #13

I think I found a replacement window! It is actually a slider window that opens! this would be such a great Improvement since I'm the one who sleeps under the bunk and against the side with no ventilation. Any concerns about having a slider window and screen at the front of the camper?

Old 06-28-2016, 09:31 PM   #14

Other than me rolling over and falling out... Ha!!
Old 06-29-2016, 07:51 AM   #15
Site Team

I can't see why not. That panel is also reinforced with metal braces, I know mine isn't.

LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
front window, repairs, rock guard