Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2012, 10:32 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to judb
Default Suspension system

When I recently put new tires and had bearings repacked on our 06 189FBR, the mechinic said that my flyleaf bushings needed replacing and that without doing so the wheels could not be alighned meaning extra wear on the tires and possible other problems. Since this is like a $1,000 job, I held off, but am going from WA. to AK. in a few weeks and do not want to take any chances.
At a RV gathering this past weekend, none of the 10 or so RV owners had even heard of a "flyleaf bushing". Do any of you Forum members know what they are?

judb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:37 AM   #2

Never heard of a "flyleaf bushing" so it could be a name the guy just invented......maybe like a "muffler belt"

However, worn bushings on a suspension system can cause problems: Rubber bushings can deteriorate quickly in the presence of oils (e.g., motor oil, mineral oil) and extreme heat and cold.
The flexibility of rubber also introduces an element of play in the suspension system. This may result in camber, caster, or toe changes in the wheels of the vehicle during high-load conditions (cornering and braking), adversely affecting the vehicle's handling. For this reason, a popular aftermarket performance upgrade is the replacement of rubber suspension bushes with bushes made of more rigid materials, such as polyurethane. Polyurethane bushes are also available for many vehicles with the same characteristics[citation needed] as the manufacturers original bushes, but with greatly increased durability. This is useful on vehicles that have a reputation for wearing out standard rubber bushes, but for which harder bushings with increased harshness of ride are not wanted.

Suggestion: Take your unit to a reputable alignment shop and have them check the suspension system for worn parts so you know

Old 05-18-2012, 12:31 PM   #3

The following is copied from another site:

"I've never heard of "flyleaf bushings". Perhaps you mean "eye leaf bushings"? These are the bushings located in the eyes, or mounting holes, at either end of the axle leaf springs. I just had my nylon/plastic bushings replaced with bronze bushings with grease fittings after the nylon ones wore-out at about 16,000 miles on our 2005 Nash 22H travel trailer.

If these bushings are worn-out and not replaced, the eyes (mounting holes) of the leaf springs will start to wear and enlarge -- eventually requiring replacement of the leaf springs -- not to mention tire wear problems due to the loose, shifting axle suspension. I had ALL my suspension bushings and bolts replaced with the greasable bronze bushings for well under $500 at Nelson's RV Service in Vacaville, CA -- located right next-door to Camping World.

Ed"

AND here is a supplier of bushings and other suspension parts:

http://www.easternmarine.com/Leaf-Spring-Bushings/

The parts cost very little so if you are at all mechanically inclined you can save 90% of the $500 Ed paid to have his changed.