Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2022, 02:32 PM   #1

Default Thermostat wiring question

I've a 2013 215wsk, I replaced the dometic rooftop 13.5 AC with a Houghton 15k heatpump. The Houghtons thermostat is self contained and is accessed via hand held remote. The T.T. stock thermostat now seems to have no power so I'm unable to use the T.T. propane furnace. Although when I'm plugged in I'll likely to use the heatpump I'd like to avoid running the gen set when dry camping and heat with propane.

In the AC roof cavity there is a wire marked 12v thermostat. Then there is a 4 contact white female plug that use to plug into the old Dometic. That plug has two red, one orange and one black. One red provides 12v+ the black is ground, the other red has no voltage nor dose the orange. When I jump the two reds together the thermostat wakes up provides the temp it's set to and a E1 error code I guess. When the reds are still jumpered the orange is energized with 4.3v+.

With the wires jumpered I still have no response from the furnace when the thermostat is set to heat and temp bumped up above ambient. Fan also will not energize when thermostat is set to heat or fan.

How do I wire this so furnace is controlled by thermostat?
Attached Thumbnails
1663705792173673270972115206347.jpg  

Pcola10k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 09:56 AM   #2

Default Found the furnace control. 2 wires for heat only thermostat

Tracked down the two wires that control the furnace. I've attached photos. I found them behind the the outside service cover for the refrigerator all the way to the right in the crevice between the flame shield and the outside wall of the 215wsk.

The wire had been previously cut and put back together with wire nuts. When I removed the wire nuts and connected the red and white wire together on the lower side, waited a min or two and the furnace fan started and then lit. So now I just need to replace the original Dometic thermostat with a 2 wire heat only manual T.Stat and run a 2 wire thermostat wire from the new T.Stat to the wires pictured.

Darn it lost the pix, will add when I install the new T.Stat later this week.

Pcola10k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 10:30 PM   #3

Default Informational!

Thanks. You just never do know where the surprises are hidden in these things we call home.
DogsGo2 is offline   Reply With Quote