Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2017, 10:18 AM   #21

My FF is in the shop right now... getting a new roof, but before my AZ trip, I will replace these tires... Like Eagle, mine are the originals and I have had no problems, but don't want any either... I believe these were installed at the trailer build, that means they are possibly 9+ years old...

I read a good article on Maxxis ST tires in the Trailer Life mag a few months back; they claim that they have their own facility in China and have better quality control than other companies that do not own/control their own manufacturing processes. I don't drive that fast while towing and usually run between 60 and 65 mph, with a max top end of a brief 67... I don't like the gear shifting when using Cruise Control while towing; therefore, don't use it.

With all that said, I'll probably stick with a load rating C or D in ST tires and am leaning towards the Maxxis brand...

However, I am also interested in the HD tires mentioned...

2013 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4 MAX Tow Package
2018 Dutchman, Coleman Lite 1805RB
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 11:57 AM   #22

https://www.walmart.com/browse/auto-...6Q2FybGlzbGUie

HD at Walmart.

John you know that your tires have the week and year of manufacture stamped on them, right.

It's a big world...explore it!!!
Michigantraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 02:36 PM   #23

GoodyearÂ*Endurance

Also are Taskmaster Provider and Kenda Carrier from trailer: https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Tir...c-14_Inch.aspx
runner421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 05:53 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantraveler View Post
https://www.walmart.com/browse/auto-...6Q2FybGlzbGUie

HD at Walmart.

John you know that your tires have the week and year of manufacture stamped on them, right.
I'll check it out when I get the trailer back... The Trailer Build/Maintenance book is still in the trailer too...

Old 01-18-2017, 05:56 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by runner421 View Post
GoodyearÂ*Endurance

Also are Taskmaster Provider and Kenda Carrier from trailer: https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Tir...c-14_Inch.aspx
Thanks Runner421,
I'll check those out as well...

Old 01-19-2017, 05:21 PM   #26

After seven laps around the country with various tires, here are my observations.

I don't go more than two seasons with a set of tires, no matter how many miles are on them.

I've had decent luck with the stock tires (like a whole coast-to-coast lap of the country last year with a new 214 WSD).

Beyond that, when I replace them, I always have good luck with Goodyear Marathons.

Up until this year, I'd never had a flat while out on the road. This last fall, I finally did have a blowout on the stock tires. I replaced them with Goodyears.

Keep an eye on the pressures.
guybmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 08:20 AM   #27

All good advice and being proactive - replacing based on age or mileage, most likely a great idea. I only replace when the treadwear indicators indicate it's time, or the condition of the tire (exposure, sidewall condition, that dry look). With a dual axle setup and flexible travel plans, I also replace as soon as possible after a blow-out. All joking aside-always visually inspect at every stop, check pressure often, watch vehicle speed, and a tire pressure monitoring system (mine does pressure and heat-which can signal bad/dry bearings heating up.)
But I don't have the money to replace tires before they need to.
Not wanting to argue-just presenting a different point of view.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:23 PM   #28

Quote:
All good advice and being proactive - replacing based on age or mileage, most likely a great idea. I only replace when the treadwear indicators indicate it's time, or the condition of the tire (exposure, sidewall condition, that dry look). With a dual axle setup and flexible travel plans, I also replace as soon as possible after a blow-out. All joking aside-always visually inspect at every stop, check pressure often, watch vehicle speed, and a tire pressure monitoring system (mine does pressure and heat-which can signal bad/dry bearings heating up.)
But I don't have the money to replace tires before they need to.
Not wanting to argue-just presenting a different point of view.
runner421,
Good maintenance and travel check monitoring... and like you, I'll usually run the tires for their "useful" life, as long as they look good, meet the manufacturer's expected life, and of course, show no damage, have the required tread depth, etc..
If you don't mind sharing, what tire pressure monitoring system are you using and do you like it... I am really looking at these things, but find prices all over the board and would like to get an honest user's thoughts...
Thanks in advance...

Old 01-20-2017, 07:11 PM   #29

Default Truck System Technologies

I use the Truck System Technologies TST 507 Starter Kit as do 3 family/friends with RVs. The 507 Flow Thru is the same except you don't have to remove the sensors to air up the tires.
I am very happy with the system. It has proven to be reliable and well worth the cost. At $259 (manufacturer's website or Amazon), it's cheaper than repairs to a trailer. I've seen blowouts damage the camper's wheel well, in one case it destroyed the floor of the camper's slide and in another, it destroyed the campers wheel trim/fascia. Pretty serious damage.
The monitor is easy to read and cycles through each tire's pressure and temperature. Requires a 12-volt power supply. The sensors have easily replaceable batteries. Must be mounted on metal valve stems (don't forget the spare, if you have a flat you can temporarily swap the sensor on the spare.)
As a tire's pressure drops or the temperature rises, the alarm will sound/loud. It gives you the time to stop, usually while there's still air in the tire. A flat isn't near as bad as a blowout/shredded tire.
Old 01-20-2017, 07:35 PM   #30

Rvgeek's views on RV tire life.
https://youtu.be/X7scHIvjyBk
It's a big world...explore it!!!
Michigantraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 07:16 PM   #31

Thanks for the info Runner421,
The trailer will get a new set of tennis shoes this spring, before heading out; that will be a good time to start "electronically" monitoring the temps and pressures. I have a set of side mirrors that slide way out, but I still cannot see the rear tire on the street side and cannot really see the curb side tires at all... If it's dark, I have to rely on pre-trip and periodic stop inspections...

Old 01-21-2017, 07:24 PM   #32

True - good luck. If you go with TST I think you'll be happy. It's a bit nerve wracking to actually see the tire temps increase on really hot days. And you can see the tires on the sunny side of the camper (even while rolling) are several degrees higher than those rolling in the shade.
Old 01-21-2017, 08:30 PM   #33

Quote:
True - good luck. If you go with TST I think you'll be happy. It's a bit nerve wracking to actually see the tire temps increase on really hot days. And you can see the tires on the sunny side of the camper (even while rolling) are several degrees higher than those rolling in the shade.
I noticed the sunny-side tires run warmer quite a few years ago and it took me a while to figure out it was the SUNNY-SIDE that got warmer...

Old 02-13-2017, 10:40 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suny View Post
Hi,

Yeah, here is THE tire thread

Anyone has experiences with those new High Speed HD tires?
Carlisle RADIAL TRAIL HD

Radial Trail HD

Thanks
I just replaced my original tires on a 2013 FFX210 with the Carlisle Radial Trail HD in Load Range D. $75 each x 4 Tires. We picked up the trailer in July of 2012, so I knew it was time to replace the original tires. They all looked great, but one was having an issue holding air. On the way to Discout Tire (2miles away) I pulled into a parking lot to check on a strange sound. Then BAM! one of them blew just as I turned in and was doing about 5 mph. I was fortunate not to be on the highway. I don't have an opinion on the tires yet, but for now I'll buy the marketing info and believe these will do the job based on speed and load rating. If I have any issues with these in the next 3 years, I'll likely be switching to LT tires base testimony of folks with more towing experience than me.
LagoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 10:41 PM   #35

Great info! Hope I remember it when I need it. So, my question is, what do you use for tire pressure monitoring? I looked into some, but the reception range was not far enough to reach the trailer.

Liz
Old 03-10-2017, 09:44 AM   #36

Default Truck System Technology

I use the TST Tire Pressure Monitoring System. Not cheap, but a lot cheaper than an unmonitored tire that loses pressure to the point of the catastrophic failure. As everyone knows, that flapping tire remains can shred the wheel well of a camper, and if it's the wheel well of the slide, it can shred the floor of the slide as well.

TST makes two basic kinds. One you have to remove to fill the tires, one is a pass-thru that you can add air to the tire without removing the sensor. I have a full-size F350 (8 1/2 foot bed), that has a truck bed camper riding in it. I can still reach the sensors without interference.

If anyone is experiencing interference of any kind (notorious for setting off your own vehicle's tire pressure monitoring system) check the type of AC accessory charger you are using for your cell phone or tablet. They can and do cause an interference that sets off the low tire pressure warning system.

https://smile.amazon.com/Tire-Pressu...ywords=tst+507
Old 03-10-2017, 11:55 AM   #37

The latest issue of "Trailer Life" (April 2017) lists the following tire pressure monitoring systems should you desire to check and compare.

www.advantagepressurepro.com

www.tirepartrol.com

www.doranmfg.com

EEZ RV PRODUCTS - RV And Outdoor Recreational Equipment, Eeztire Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems

Trailer Wiring Solutions, Brake Controllers, RV Levels - Hopkins Towing Solutions

The OFFICIAL WEBSITE of Minder Research, Inc. - Home of the TireMinder TPMS, TempMinder and NightMinder Systems.

TireTrakerâ„¢ TPMS - Tire Pressure Monitoring System

www.tsttruck.com

Home | Valor TPMS
Old 09-15-2017, 02:10 PM   #38

Hello George, We purchased a 2012 189fbs in Dec. we have spend about 7 weeks traveling so far. The tires are original. I called cruiser to be sure the tires i have are Freestar. The customer service gentelman recommended we change to a radial tire ,that was all the info he could give.....
I just wanted to say thank you for all your posts and responses i feel as if i can now make a much more informed decision.
We love our 19 foot Fun Finder so easy to tow with our Tundra.
Thanks again, Barbara (Frosty's Fun Finder)
Frosty's Fun Finder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 02:26 PM   #39

Frosty -- Goodyear just came out with a new item, the Endurance. Not cheap, but they looked good to me, so I got a set. So far, so good, after 6000 miles of towing this year.
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 02:38 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by profdant139 View Post
Frosty -- Goodyear just came out with a new item, the Endurance. Not cheap, but they looked good to me, so I got a set. So far, so good, after 6000 miles of towing this year.
Hi, Dan! Those are the tires I plan to put on my new trailer. You really like them so far, eh? I think they're around $150 each? I'll get 'em when things breaking around the house stop emptying my bank...