Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2018, 06:49 PM   #1

Default Tire Mount Bracket Problems with 2008 FF 189FBS

My wife and I journeyed from Florida to Alaska this year, camping 177 nights in our 2008 FF 189FBS. The camper did pretty well overall, considering the many miles traveled and overall road conditions.

As we headed home in September, I was looking over the rear wall mounted tire carrier one morning and discovered the left top bolt was sticking out approx 1/2" and the bottom right bolt had pushed through the siding. The overall mount was a little loose, so I decided to put the spare in the back of our truck, seal the carrier (caulk and duck tape) and repair the issue once home.

We are now home and I removed the tire carrier bracket today. All four bolts were badly rusted and three pulled through to the outside. The fourth broke off when I tried to remove it.

There is an access cover in the bathroom behind the toilet. I removed it and learned that four holes were drilled from the outside and the tire mount bracket was held on by bolts pushed through to T-nuts embedded into the bathroom wall siding.

The wall is about an inch thick, with wood between the interior wall and exterior siding. Some of the wood between the interior wall and exterior siding is soft and will need to be replaced.

I've attached a several photos showing the bracket and interior/exterior mounting locations.

Questions:

* Has anyone had this problem and how was it repaired?
* Is it better to remove (or cut a hole in) the interior wall or cut the exterior siding? (I am thinking interior wall but may be missing something).
* How large is the wood that holds the tire mount bracket/how large should the interior board be to hold the tire mount bracket and tire?

Any thoughts or suggestions about repairing this issue would be greatly appreciated.

E Thompson
Jacksonville, FL
2017 Chevrolet Silverado
2008 FF 189FBS
Attached Thumbnails
Outside view.jpg   In*side view.jpg   Tire bracket.jpg  

ThompsonJax3880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 09:11 PM   #2

I've read of this happening to others.
I don't recall their remedy, however, IMO since it happened it's clear the mounting support is inadequate to sustain the stress of the spare wheel and tire hanging on the back of the unit.

If it were me, I'd carry the spare wheel and tire in the bed of the tow vehicle and avoid having to deal with the possible total loss of the spare and bracket on the road somewhere that would create a hazard for other vehicles...and personal liability.

Old 11-17-2018, 09:37 PM   #3

Yikes! If you decide to keep the spare where it was, I'd switch to stainless bolts. I'd also add wide fender washers on both sides of the holes, with a nylon core lock nut on each side.
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 07:03 AM   #4

I had the same issue. I just used a 1/2" piece of plywood on the inside and used longer stainless steel bolts to hold it together. Also, make sure you seal the bracket on the outside. It looks like crap in the bathroom. I need to paint the plywood to make it look better.

Lay the bracket on a piece of plywood to get the holes to line up. Then cut the plywood once inch wider on the sides and top and bottom. A friend of mine said he will cut me a piece of 1/4" aluminum at some point to make it look better on the inside.
team dougherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 06:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by team dougherty View Post
I had the same issue. I just used a 1/2" piece of plywood on the inside and used longer stainless steel bolts to hold it together. Also, make sure you seal the bracket on the outside. It looks like crap in the bathroom. I need to paint the plywood to make it look better.

Lay the bracket on a piece of plywood to get the holes to line up. Then cut the plywood once inch wider on the sides and top and bottom. A friend of mine said he will cut me a piece of 1/4" aluminum at some point to make it look better on the inside.
Hi! To confirm - you didn't cut the wallboard or replace whatever is between wallboard and exterior fiberglass. Instead you added a plywood panel to inside wall through which the bolts go to outside and tire mount. Thanks for idea!
Old 11-20-2018, 06:06 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThompsonJax3880 View Post
Hi! To confirm - you didn't cut the wallboard or replace whatever is between wallboard and exterior fiberglass. Instead you added a plywood panel to inside wall through which the bolts go to outside and tire mount. Thanks for idea!
That is correct. I think what caused the issue, your pics look like mine does, the bracket was not sealed to the outside panel. This cause water to get into the bolt holes and rot the wood in the wall. You will find it very mushy. I just used the 1/2" plywood like you described and sandwiched the exiting wall between the bracket and plywood. Make sure you seal the bracket to the outside wall to prevent anymore water intrusion.

I used a scrap piece of wood I had laying around. To make it look better a 1/4" painted aluminum plate would look 100 times better.
team dougherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 12:56 PM   #7

Default Tire Mount Bracket

Well, first off, I can't believe they mounted it that way originally. Probably because the "Flush Mount" carrier was $1.00 cheaper than a "Bumper Mount" spare tire carrier. AND, that's my recommendation. A bumper mount is cheap and easy to install. Wont tear anything up. So sorry about what happened. Good luck.
mjpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 02:59 PM   #8

I had the same issue. I cut out a section of the back wall and replaced the wood. Then used a piece of steel to reinforce the back wall. Here's a few pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
20180609_150246.jpg   20180614_211540.jpg   20180614_205433.jpg   20180612_183850.jpg  
Lawabr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 11:00 PM   #9

I went a whole different route on my 189FDS. I made a tire mount that allowed me to relocate the tire up front btween the fame memebers near the battery. This also allowd me to weld a receiver to the frame in back for a bike rack or gear rack. It has worked out nice.
Old 12-03-2018, 07:37 PM   #10

Default Followup Question About Front Tire Mount

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnitio View Post
I went a whole different route on my 189FDS. I made a tire mount that allowed me to relocate the tire up front btween the fame memebers near the battery. This also allowd me to weld a receiver to the frame in back for a bike rack or gear rack. It has worked out nice.
Thanks for the suggestion...any pictures, particularly of the mount up front?

Ed T