Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2021, 07:36 PM   #1

Default Tire rim size

Just had a blowout on one tire on our last trip. Had spare...and got tire replaced asap. Thought I would buy a second spare rim and tire. 205/75/R14 rubber on a 2012 189 funfinder. Is there a specific rim that I should buy?
Thanks

MickHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 04:13 PM   #2

Seems like overkill to me ��. Storage space is already at a premium in a 189 so you’ll have to think of what gets left behind. I suppose you could keep in the your tow vehicle but that would come at the expense of your payload maximum. Do you have an additional spare wheel for your daily driver? The odds of needing one for that vehicle are much higher��. A decent roadside assistance plan with an RV rider might be a better plan ��.

2007 Shadow Cruiser x210, 2004 RAM 2500 4x4 QuadCab SLT 5.9L CTD, Factory Tow Pkg (3.73 axle), HaulMaster WDH
RipVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 12:38 PM   #3

You would be better off by using the money to purchase a tire pressure/temperature monitoring system (TPMS). I have one and I constantly know how the tires are doing.
Rocky Mtn marmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 07:40 AM   #4

WalMart and most farm/home & home improvement stores have cheap china tires mounted on trailer wheels so find your size already mounted and your good. Be sure it's a 14" diameter too.
Since it's going to be a 'second spare' a cheap china made tire should be fine and economical too.
Old 07-14-2021, 08:01 AM   #5

Years before owning our own camper, we rented one for a trip with our granddaughter. We had a flat and had to put the spare on to continue. Since there is always potential for tire issues, stopped at the next Walmart and like Eagle has suggested, bought a (relatively cheap) spare. When we returned the camper to the rental place, they didn’t want the spare I purchased AND didn’t charge extra for the damaged tire! So, I returned it (since it was unused) to Walmart for a full refund.
Bottom line, IMHO, is that you only need one spare wheel.

2007 Shadow Cruiser x210, 2004 RAM 2500 4x4 QuadCab SLT 5.9L CTD, Factory Tow Pkg (3.73 axle), HaulMaster WDH
Old 07-14-2021, 08:17 AM   #6

One thing to remember is once you put on the spare tire ... you no longer have a spare tire if another flat is encountered.

That 'second spare' tossed in the back of the tow vehicle can be a lifesaver when traveling in more rural areas (Wyoming/Montana/Nevada, etc.) where towns can be 100 or more miles apart with some services and waiting for a tow truck can take hours.

That 'second spare tire and wheel' can be great peace of mind insurance.
Old 07-14-2021, 08:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
One thing to remember is once you put on the spare tire ... you no longer have a spare tire if another flat is encountered.

That 'second spare' tossed in the back of the tow vehicle can be a lifesaver when traveling in more rural areas (Wyoming/Montana/Nevada, etc.) where towns can be 100 or more miles apart with some services and waiting for a tow truck can take hours.

That 'second spare tire and wheel' can be great peace of mind insurance.
I do suppose that it makes a difference if camping adventures take one “off the beaten path”.

Old 07-14-2021, 09:27 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipVan View Post
I do suppose that it makes a difference if camping adventures take one “off the beaten path”.
Yes it does as not every state in the union has a town along every paved road with full services every 5 or so miles.