Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Tech > Modifications, Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-10-2021, 07:45 AM   #1
Boz

Default Tire Wear Issues

I have a 2016 26RBSS that we got in 2017. I noticed a summer or two ago that one of the tires was wearing funny. It had been flat on one trip so I thought maybe that was what caused it. You can see in the attached photo it is wearing abnormally on the outside edge. After it was patched I moved it to the other side to see if the wear would happen again. It did in fact happen on the tire that was put in the same place. It is the passenger side with a rear kitchen. I am wondering if it is the extra weight? I plan on replacing all of the tires this Spring, but I am hesitant to do that if I am going to have to worry about this abnormal wear. These are the factory tires that came on the unit.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20190708_211305_01.jpg  

Boz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 10:08 AM   #2

It could be something like "camber," an alignment problem on one wheel? Google the images of camber tire wear and you will see what I mean.

But bear in mind, please, that I am not an expert -- so take this advice with a handful of salt (not just a grain).

Old 02-10-2021, 12:07 PM   #3

I too would say the camber is off. Looks like to much positive camber and can be easily corrected by having the axle aligned. Find a reputable alignment shop and have them check the alignment.
Suggest a shop that does truck/trailer alignment since most auto tire shops are only equipped for auto alignments - not straight axle truck or trailer alignments....from someone who did auto alignments for several years in a tire shop.
Trailer axles take alot of 'twist' in sharp turns and/or maybe abuse from a rough roadway.
https://www.yourmechanic.com/article...is-tire-camber

Here is more: https://www.comeanddriveit.com/suspe...ber-caster-toe
Old 02-10-2021, 05:22 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boz View Post
I have a 2016 26RBSS that we got in 2017. I noticed a summer or two ago that one of the tires was wearing funny. It had been flat on one trip so I thought maybe that was what caused it. You can see in the attached photo it is wearing abnormally on the outside edge. After it was patched I moved it to the other side to see if the wear would happen again. It did in fact happen on the tire that was put in the same place. It is the passenger side with a rear kitchen. I am wondering if it is the extra weight? I plan on replacing all of the tires this Spring, but I am hesitant to do that if I am going to have to worry about this abnormal wear. These are the factory tires that came on the unit.
Boz, if you are somewhat handy I would suggest you first park the trailer on a flat/level surface. Here is what I would do to determine if one of the axles is bent.
1) Look underneath the trailer from the front and rear to see if both axles appear to have the same amount of clearance to the ground near the center of the tubes. The tubes have a natural arc such that at normal load the wheels should actually be perpendicular to the road surface. As the load is increased to the max the camber will change and you will see that the bottom of the wheels will start moving outward (which would cause wear on the inside of the tread whereas you are seeing wear on the outside).
2) You should be able to hold a level in from of the wheel vertical to the ground and measure the distance from the level to the top and then to the bottom lip of the rim. If the wheel has no camber then both measurements will be the same. Compare measurements on the two axles, and then with the R and L.
I think you should quickly be able to determine if one of the axles has become bent. I am supposing that you have leaf spring suspension as I do and not independent suspension.
Old 02-12-2021, 09:17 AM   #5
Boz

Thanks for the advice! I will have to give each of these a check when I pull it out of storage to do the bearings in May. I'd love to know how the axle got bent if that ends up being the case. Sure I have maybe hit a curb or two, but I try to be pretty careful with it.
Boz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 11:29 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boz View Post
Thanks for the advice! I will have to give each of these a check when I pull it out of storage to do the bearings in May. I'd love to know how the axle got bent if that ends up being the case. Sure I have maybe hit a curb or two, but I try to be pretty careful with it.
Boz,
Here is a good article: https://www.centrevilletrailer.com/c...wear-made-easy

I just found this video of a abnormal tire wear and it was due to toe-in on a Dexter Tor-Flex axle which caused the tire to scrub. You might want to take a look and see whether you have leaf springs or this independent style suspension.

Jimbo
Old 02-14-2021, 12:25 PM   #7

I have had a similar tread wear situation on my 2015 RBSS which we got in 2016. The wear was on the inside of the rear passenger side tire. Our kitchen is opposite the slide out. I’ve suspected the axle but haven’t taken any action. Also the refrigerator is in the vicinity of the wearing tire. We keep the fridge full on trips with a lot of liquids. Wonder if the extra weight in that area could cause excess camber? Haven’t been on a long trip for a couple of years so my newer tires haven’t shown this type of wear. As I have a big trip planned this summer, I’ll soon be doing all the measurements mentioned in this post. Thanks especially on the video on axle diagnostics and replacements. I’ll post my results.
Jeff from Virginia
JefPal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 12:40 PM   #8

My guess is someone replaced the tire and jacked up the trailer by the axle. Don't do that ! That can bend the axle and cause the problem you have. You have excessive wear on the outside of the tire and that's indicative of jacking from the axle near the leaf spring and causing a slight "bend". As Eagle stated, a good Truck or Trailer shop can correct this. Good luck.
mjpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 06:42 PM   #9

If two different tires wore on the outside, in the same position, you have an alignment problem. Outside wear will either be excess positive camber, wheel tipped out at the top, probably visible with the naked eye, or else excess toe, wheel tipped out (probably), or possible in, at the front. I have seen that bias ply tires are more prone to alignment wear, if you now have bias ply tires, replacing them with radials might eliminate the problem.
2018 Chevy Silverado 1500 with 5.3 Max Tow package
Dleit53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 07:21 PM   #10

I have a 2015 F265RBSS and in the fall of 2018 the right rear tire wore almost bald on the inside edge (I haven't towed it more than 3000 miles), and the tire & wheel were visibly leaning in at the top due to the Lippert axle bending. I'm an industrial scale service tech so I set up a set of axle scales and tested the weight per tire front & rear and left & right. The axles are rated for 3500# and no wheel weighed more than 1700# with the rig fully loaded. The spindle had bent from the axle tube so the axle was replaced. Now it looked to me, when I put it away last fall that the same wheel is leaning the same way again, but this time it looks like the tube is bowed. I will look at it more once we get closer to camping season in the midwest. Strange that it's the same wheel position both times, without it being overweight???
"I'd rather go camping"
BigMikeFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 09:03 AM   #11

When replacing tires on a car, pickup or truck - most have the vehicles alignment checked and corrected, if needed.

Curious how many do the same when installing new tires on their travel trailer? Or if most never do so.
Old 02-17-2021, 09:38 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
When replacing tires on a car, pickup or truck - most have the vehicles alignment checked and corrected, if needed.

Curious how many do the same when installing new tires on their travel trailer? Or if most never do so.
Good question! In the ~40 years that we have owned trailers I never remember taking the trailer in to a store to get the tires changed. I remember using spares and/or jack stands and getting tires replaced at America's Tire, Walmart, Costco, Sam's Club, etc. The tires normally had to be preordered. Perhaps it is because we have lived in metro areas that it has not been convenient to take the trailer in to a tire store (we do not have a Camping World or equiv close).
I have kept at eye on tire wear and tire pressures. I don't remember ever seeing a wheel which had any toe in/out or noticeable camber. As far as I know there has been alignment possible on any of the leaf spring axles that we have owned. There is a pin on the leaf which aligns only one way on the axle perch. The pin prevents the leaf spring from shifting. Once on an early trailer I had to replace the leaf packs because they had lost their arc on a bad road in MX and I installed higher capacity leaf packs.
Old 03-01-2021, 07:50 AM   #13

Only tire wear I have noticed on my 210udsis the rear set from skidding. I had to swap the front to back just to get the most mileage out of them. My tire guy said I got my money's worth as the were wore pretty even. Only disadvantage of a short truck and trailer in tight areas.
Old 05-25-2021, 09:48 AM   #14

Keith,

Saw your post on tires, so I'm coming to you with another question! I want to replace my tires - they're 7 y/o, and one suffered a puncture just as we got home. I'll take that as an omen. Any particular brand you suggest?

Thanks,

Bo
Bo59funfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 11:05 AM   #15

IF I may offer a suggestion - after much research when replacing the tires on my unit, two brands received the highest praise for a ST camper tire.

GoodYear and Michelin. I chose GoodYear since the can be found near everywhere in the USA.

The GoodYears are speed rated at 87 MPH for the extra margin of safety - not that you have to travel that fast.
Also - they are a heavier tire due to better construction and also have a side curb 'scuff ring' to protect the tire when going over/next to a curb.
Due to the construction .. the sidewalls are much stiffer that provides a more stable platform for the camper....and makes the camper easier to pull for fuel savings to a certain extent.

My first trip out with the GoodYear tires was extremely noticeable with a firmer/more stable ride, less wind sway or push and rolled with less power.

An internet search will provide great comparisons for your determination.
Old 05-25-2021, 11:34 AM   #16

Just put 4 Goodyear Endurance Special Trailer (ST)Tires on my FunFinder. They’re pretty highly rated made in the USA (not China). Gonna replace the spare tire with the same. Traveling a bunch this summer and want to be safe. They have a higher speed rating than other trailer tires but I still hold speed to 65 or under.

JefPal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires wear