Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Tech > Modifications, Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-15-2018, 09:27 PM   #1

Default To cover or not to cover

First time RVers, just bought a 2009 Viewfinder V21FB... we’re planning to buy a cover for it. By brother has a 25’ TT (different brand) that’s about 8 years old - he just had to have the roof replaced. He said the repair tech told him not to cover it. I assume the idea is covering it traps moisture inside? Is there any consensus on covering? We live in MD, so moderate mid Atlantic weather. It will be parked outside in the relative open.

If a cover is encouraged, Amy specific recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

talltimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 12:59 PM   #2
N&K

Send a message via AIM to N&K

A lot of people have differing opinions on covering a TT, and there are covers that are specifically made to provide protections from various weather conditions. The materials used can be made to address very cold weather, very hot weather, very wet weather, dirty windy conditions, and for more moderate conditions. The price you pay usually reflects a cover's ability to protect from these conditions.

I live in a more moderate weather area similar to your description of your weather. I expect my cover to divert some of the rain onto the ground rather than to the inside of my trailer. I also expect the cover to lessen the amount of dirt and leaves that seem to work together to stain the exterior especially the roof. I have an Expedition S2 from Eevelle that I bought on sale in the fall. The size I bought was to fit the size of the trailer box. Is was big enough to also cover the batteries and propane tanks. It worked well in its first year of use. I will see how long it lasts.

Whatever you do, don't use a plastic tarp as a cover unless you can make a framework that keeps the cover separated from the trailer to allow for good airflow under the tarp.

Old 07-16-2018, 01:45 PM   #3

If there is any way you can manage it.... a drive in trailer port beats any kind of cover wrap hands down. It provides easy access to your trailer and more than adequate protection. Just don't hit it when you back into it....ha.

If you must cover... ditto the comment on NO TARPS. That can trap moisture and invite mold etc.
Chirpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:02 AM   #4

Thanks for the feedback! I think we will probably do this in moderation - not so cheap as a tarp, but not sink big bucks into some uber-fancy super cover...it is stored out doors - no chance for a hard cover, although my mind has explored how to build something light and collapsible. From ready user reviews of various covers on Amazon, it sounds to me like we shoudl just expect to replace it every other year or so. I only plan to cover when it will be parked for extended periods (a month or more?)...
talltimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 07:40 PM   #5

Ok i will give my two cents on this. First off, do not use a tarp to cover your trailer. You need a cover that breaths and tarps don't. The reason this is important is because you don't want to trap condensation under the cover and inside the trailer. Secondly, you don't want to use a cover that is dark because it will add heat to a roof, especially in the summer or in the south. As for purchased covers, i use one to store my trailer during Michigan winters. It has a light gray ripstop top and breathable tivec zippered sides. Cost about $150 and should last about 5 years. I've use it two years and its still in great shape
twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 11:29 PM   #6

Make sure you check for sharp edges and pointy protrusions on the top and edges of your trailer roof. Don't know about the Viewfinder model, but the FunFinders for many years had cheap rain scuppers on each corner. Those things will rip even robust covers. especially in high wind and also if you carelessly yank the cover off while standing on the ground. (Don't ask how I know this). I've always had to do some padding to help the relatively cheap Tyvek covers I have been using for years now last longer.
2016 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 4x4
jbfunfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 11:01 AM   #7

Thank you for bringing up the issue with the sharp edges on the trailer rooff damaging the cover.

Does anyone know a solution how to cover up those sharp edges to protect the expensive cover a bit better please ? I was hoping to put something over the sharp edges. So far we have used duct tape to cover the sharp edges but they dont last long. I was also thinking to do some needlework on the cover itself and re inforce an area around the sharp edges, but just by getting the cover over the trailer, it gets damaged by those sharp edges before the cover is even in position. So better alternative will be to cover the sharp edges with something more permanent. But what to use ? Any advice will be much appreciated.

I see now via Google search by cutting up a pool noodle into pieces and using duct tape to tape it down over the sharp edges, is a short term solution. But what might work long term?
Old 08-20-2018, 08:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowKolla View Post
Thank you for bringing up the issue with the sharp edges on the trailer rooff damaging the cover.

Does anyone know a solution how to cover up those sharp edges to protect the expensive cover a bit better please ? I was hoping to put something over the sharp edges. So far we have used duct tape to cover the sharp edges but they dont last long. I was also thinking to do some needlework on the cover itself and re inforce an area around the sharp edges, but just by getting the cover over the trailer, it gets damaged by those sharp edges before the cover is even in position. So better alternative will be to cover the sharp edges with something more permanent. But what to use ? Any advice will be much appreciated.

I see now via Google search by cutting up a pool noodle into pieces and using duct tape to tape it down over the sharp edges, is a short term solution. But what might work long term?
I did the pool noodle thing with plastic zip ties cinching them down until two of the cheap scuppers broke off. After that, I removed the remainder of the two broken ones and the two unbroken ones entirely. I figured rain scuppers were not that important here in SoCal where it rarely rains anyway. There were some other sharp corners and edges up there, mostly the ends of aluminum channels and trim which I filed smooth. My inexpensive ADCO Tyvek covers have always had reinforced corners so I have found that it is best to carefully pull up and roll the cover on the roof and then throw the bundle down to the ground rather than pulling it off while standing on the ground. Of course, standing and walking on an RV roof is a very dangerous thing and probably should not be attempted by most people...there are so many protrusions you can trip on. And then there are RV roofs that must not be walked on....
2016 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 4x4
jbfunfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 04:03 PM   #9

pool noodles or pipe insulation can be used to cover the gutters and sharp edges on the upper parts of the trailer..
Frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 01:09 PM   #10

I recently read where some covered the 4 bottom corners with a hard plastic kitchen storage container cut to fit the camper corners.

And then there is this article:

https://www.rvcampinginfo.com/protec...g-your-noodle/
Old 09-17-2018, 06:58 PM   #11

I have an Adco cover that came with gutter corner covers. It has a white roof that helps prevent UV damage. This company also sells patches for the inevitable rip. Is pretty breathable, though it has gotten some mold in year 5. I roll up the sides and then front to back rather than dragging it up or down the trailer. Definitely think the cover it helps.
CRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 12:45 PM   #12

Default when we did not cover ours....

Last fall (oregon) we did not cover our funfinder. OOOPS. The ice storm made the top of the trailer GET HOLES IN IT. RV tech who fixed it said we blew it because when the top ices up and then defrosts, it stretches the roofing material and makes leaks. omg. So, this year we are looking for a cover. yikes. Not sure where you live, but cover it if it gets icy. It only gets icy a few times a year here usually.

Fun Finder X210wbs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, roof