Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2009, 11:24 AM   #1

Default Toilet, sewer, water questions

Ok. We did it. We took our FF X139 on its maiden voyage - to the local KOA. We didn't prep the toilet, so we used the KOA toilets.

But for our next trip, we want to use the toilets and possibly sinks.

Questions:

1) For the toilets, do we just buy those blue chemicals and pour them down the toilet? Is that it?

2) The prior owner left a sewer hose in the trailer. If we have a sewer hookup, do we just screw this to the bottom of the trailer somewhere and hook the other end to the sewer hookup? Do we need additional adaptors? And if we do this, do we need to do anything when we leave besides unscrewing the hose? Do we need to hose out the sewer hose so it's not full of sewer crap?

3) If we don't have a sewer hookup but use the toilet, do you recommend we use the dump station after EVERY trip so we're not driving sewer crap around in our trailer? If there's no dump station, just take it to a local trailer place near our home to dump?

4) If we use our sinks, do you recommend we dump the gray water after every trip? I suspect that's easier than dumping the black water. Or the park may have a direct line for gray water.

5) If we dry camp and fill our water tank, I assume we need the water pump to get water. Does it run down the battery to get water when dry camping and using the water pump? Is less pressure needed for a full water tank vs. one less full?

6) Any other tips for a first-time toilet/sink user?

paulitzlee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 01:59 PM   #2

Quote:
Ok. We did it. We took our FF X139 on its maiden voyage - to the local KOA. We didn't prep the toilet, so we used the KOA toilets.
Wow. You made it a complete trip w/o using the sink or toilet. On our first trip my wife was using it before the trailer was set up.

Quote:
1) For the toilets, do we just buy those blue chemicals and pour them down the toilet? Is that it?
Yes. But I only pour about a cap or two of the chemicals in the toilet bowl, then I fill up the bowl with water twice. The reason I do this is so solids don't just sit on the bottom.

Quote:
2) The prior owner left a sewer hose in the trailer. If we have a sewer hookup, do we just screw this to the bottom of the trailer somewhere and hook the other end to the sewer hookup? Do we need additional adaptors?
You can do this, except I would recommend leaving the cleanout valves closed as vapours/odors from the sewer will go through the hose and into your trailer (not good). Typically what I do is only hookup to the sewer connection when the tanks are full. Otherwise the hose is in storage. No you do not need additional adaptors as long as the one end fits properly to the trailer connection.

Quote:
And if we do this, do we need to do anything when we leave besides unscrewing the hose?
<< See above

Quote:
Do we need to hose out the sewer hose so it's not full of sewer crap?
I would highly recommend cleaning it out, just don't use your fresh water hose.

Quote:
3) If we don't have a sewer hookup but use the toilet, do you recommend we use the dump station after EVERY trip so we're not driving sewer crap around in our trailer? If there's no dump station, just take it to a local trailer place near our home to dump?
The problem is when it settles, not when your driving. So yes I would empty it after every trip, whether it's at the campground or close to home is a personal preference.

Quote:
4) If we use our sinks, do you recommend we dump the gray water after every trip? I suspect that's easier than dumping the black water. Or the park may have a direct line for gray water.
The proper way to dump the tanks is to hookup your sewer hose, make sure the other end is over the sewer connection. Open the valve for the black water tank, then once that is done (or close to it), then open the grey water valve. This flushes all the junk out of the sewer hose.

So. Yes. after every trip. no easier, exactly the same. No parks have a separate line for the grey tanks (that I've ever seen in 30 years of camping).
The only problem I have ever run into with dumping tanks is that sometimes my black tank has to be full in order to dump properly. So sometimes I will spend time to dump water into it.

Quote:
5) If we dry camp and fill our water tank, I assume we need the water pump to get water. Does it run down the battery to get water when dry camping and using the water pump? Is less pressure needed for a full water tank vs. one less full?
Yes, your assumption is correct. Yes it does run down the battery. If you are dry camping I'd recommend shutting off the pump when not in use. In theory it should be less pressure, but I think it is a very small amount. So small not to matter.

Quote:
6) Any other tips for a first-time toilet/sink user?
Tips..
Well one big one for me is that our bathroom is for emergencies only (night time), when there are other facilities avail. at the campground.
This reduces the likelyhood of having to dump the tanks (no one likes doing it).

We bring bottled water for drinking and cooking. so that also reduces our fresh water consumption.

Gloves...

Hope that helps.

I've answered most of your questions. But my mentality is there's never enough information. So here's some reading for you if you're bored.

http://rvbasics.com/techtips/rv-newb...questions.html

But don't feel like you can't ask questions here. We'll definitely answer if we can.

Old 06-27-2009, 07:44 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb_bb
............We bring bottled water for drinking and cooking. so that also reduces our fresh water consumption.

Gloves... .................
For drinking water I use a PUR filtering pitcher. That way I can use the local potable water and still feel reasonably safe.

Also I keep an inexpensive supply of disposable plastic or latex gloves available for waste dumping.
No pets - Sponser Child https://www.childfund.org
gheicher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 03:45 PM   #4

if i have to take the stuff home with me (no dump station) i pour some dish soap (or laundry detergent) in the balck tank before i leave, the sloshing around seems to help clean i out a bit when i dump it at home. also ive used the water pump for 3 days of dry camping which included 3 showers and toilet use and washing of dishes and we didnt run the batt down and w listened to the radi for about 5 hrs each nite