Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Tech > Modifications, Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-18-2011, 07:07 PM   #1

Default Trailer Lights on a FF X-160 2008

Hi all,

I am having a problem with my towing lights on my Fun Finder X-160 2008. When I plug the trailer lights into the hitch socket all I have are running lights. The blinkers or brake lights do not work on either side. The bulbs look great on the trailer. Nothing burnt.

The tow truck I hook to has all the correct power to its side. I also cut the sheath on the trailer side and exposed the wires to test light it. When the blinkers are on and its hooked to the tow vehicle I test light at the exposed wires on the trailer side right below the plug and I have perfect measurement. I didnt get a chance to follow the wires all the way to the back of the trailer testing as I go because I got caught by nightime and the mesquitos. Gotta love south Louisiana.

If anyone has any ideas or something else that I might be over looking I wouldlove to here it. I will be tracing down the rest of the tow wires to the back tomorrow. Thanks for your help!

Chris

christoph80254 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 08:03 PM   #2

If I had to guess, and that's all I can do from here I'm not sure what you are calling "running lights, I'm going to assume that you mean the clearance lights...the following is based on tail lights out, clearance lights are working fine.

Since you have power on the TT side of the plug, you've eliminated that as a source. Follow your 7 pin cable under the front and into the storage area...you should see a junction box (mine is black plastic) and your 7 pin cable will go into that and then branch off for the various circuits in your trailer, several of the splices will go to a standard 4 wire trailer wire cable (R turn, L turn, brake and running *you'll note there is no ground in that bundle, that's coming ). Check those connections, but, it would be odd for all four of them to be bad. If you look under your trailer, you should see that four strand, standard trailer light cable running along the street side frame, on the inside edge. Follow that back to look for breaks in the cable. If that is "solid" (not broken/torn) then the problem will be with the lights themselves. Corrosion is a possibility, but, not likely on both tail light assemblies at the same time. That leaves the ground path...the lights are not grounded by that 4 wire harness from the front, they are grounded from the light sockets to the frame on a separate ground wire, all the functions for each light are dependent on that one ground wire from each light and both are usually grounded at the same point, if that ground point is damaged (broken, loose, corroded, etc.), none of the tail light functions will work. I suspect you'll find the problem there...

Best stab I can take it from here BTW, I can appreciate the bugs you've got...we just got back from a couple of months on the road that included a few days in New Iberia. Lovely country, but, yep, you've got some "killer" bugs...I've got a grill full of their little carcasses!

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 06:14 AM   #3

Default Found the problem

After tracing the wires from the plug to the lights in the back I still had not found the problem. I had signal all the way to the light. I took the cover off the light and the filaments in the light were fine. I took the light out to discover that water had damaged the contacts On the light and corroded the contacts. Needless to say they work fine now. FYI always check the simple stuff first. Don't just look at it really check it. Thanks for all the help.

Chris in louisiana
christoph80254 is offline   Reply With Quote