Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2014, 07:11 AM   #1

Default Water Heater Question

set up the new trailer in the driveway and got everything up and running. Can someone explain the two switches on the water heater?

Switch 1 is behind the water heater panel on the outside. I assume this has to be on for it to work

Switch 2 is by the door and has LP on the top and Water Heater on the bottom.

Is the bottom position for electric water heater? Also, there is a little light beside the inside switch that has DSI on the top and Float on the bottom. I couldn't find a reference to it in any manuals. Thanks!

Hobie i9s kayak
Kafn8td is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 08:56 AM   #2

Getting closer...DSI FLT is a Fault light when the water heater doesn't auto light when on gas.

Outside switch is only for electric, such as when running on shore power.

Inside switch turns the gas portion on and off when running propane.

Correct?

Hobie i9s kayak
Old 04-14-2014, 05:37 PM   #3

You got it, Switch on the heater is for the electric element only. Do not switch on till the tank is full or you will kill the element. Inside switch turns the heater on with the gas. You might have to cycle the switch a few times at first as it will cut out if no gas is present. My stove is the last appliance in the line so when I set up I bled the air out of the system by turning on the stove top and use a BBQ lighter. Once the stove lights I know that I can turn on the water tank.
Citycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 10:02 AM   #4

Default Don't turn on electric switch with gas also

One thing I learned also is DON'T turn on the electric switch on the outside at the water heater whle using gas also. If you do, the electric will heat the water up enough to purposely NOT allow the gas to start. It took me almost a day of camping to figure this out, but once I turned off the electric switch and let the water cool down....the gas ignited and everything was perfect.
clarkgriswold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 10:52 AM   #5

Then there is something wrong with your system. I let the element heat the water and turn on the gas system also. If you use the hot water and the temperature goes down the gas will cut in and reheat the water. Also the electric will hold the hot water at temperature through the day so you are not using gas all the time.
Citycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 11:15 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citycamper
Then there is something wrong with your system. I let the element heat the water and turn on the gas system also. If you use the hot water and the temperature goes down the gas will cut in and reheat the water. Also the electric will hold the hot water at temperature through the day so you are not using gas all the time.
Must be something wrong then..... my likes all gas or all electric. Seems my electric keeps the water so hot it doesn't allow the gas to cut in.
clarkgriswold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 03:12 PM   #7

If your unit is plugged in, mine automatically runs off of electricity unless I turn the switch off on the outside. Once I turn it off, it automatically fires up on gas. Plug it back in and it switches over to electric.

Hobie i9s kayak