Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2017, 11:43 AM   #1

Default water heater temp control?

With ya'alls help I figured out how to light hot water heater. Now, how do I control the water temp? My last trailer, 1992 Casita, had a lever to control temp fm warm, med, hot. Also my heater has a pretty large nut (outside trailer below and behind plumbing) which I assume is either the drain plug or the thing that collects city/well water impurities...diod? Is it the drain plug? I like to drain my water heater tank after each trip!

xbassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 12:04 PM   #2

The large plug is the anode rod.
Relieve the pressure in the water system and unscrew the plug ... socket & ratchet works well to do that.
The plug will have a rod attached to it which is designed to deteriorate over time to protect the water heater tank. Replacement anode rods are availabe at any RV parts supply place......but get the one made for your brand/model water heater.
Once the plug/rod is removed you can flush the interior of the water heater with a flushing tool .. also available at RV parts stores.

Old 06-06-2017, 04:59 PM   #3

I don't know if the newer Fun Finders have a way to control water heater temp -- so I would be interested to hear about this, too!
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 05:13 PM   #4

On a Suburban cold water heater,* see page 7 of this service manual ... shows where the thermostat is to regulate the water temperature.

http://hometips.me/mar/suburban_wate...ice_manual.pdf

However .. see page 13 where this is stated:

Suburban's direct spark ignition water heaters have a preset thermostat of 130°F that is nonadjustable.
It is also equipped with a high temperature limit (E.C.O.) as a cut-off device.
Temperatures above 180°F will cause manual reset button to trip, shutting down the main burner.
To activate the burner, the water temperature must be below 100°F, push the reset button to
reactivate the burner. Make sure the thermostat bracket is holding both switches tight against the
water heater to ensure that both of them sense correctly. Check all wire terminals and voltage
through the E.C.O. and thermostat.

*they are cold water heaters...not hot water heaters. IF the water is already hot, no need to heat it
Old 06-06-2017, 06:19 PM   #5

Again ya'all came thru for me. It is a preset unit n now know what the reset button does. Anode...that is the word I was looking for. Big tnx!!
xbassman is offline   Reply With Quote