Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2019, 09:15 PM   #1

Default Water pump plumbing woes

Hi all, just picked up a 2008 X160 today, really nice shape, hardly used, however there are a few things I need to figure out.

1) The PO removed the water pump and he couldn't recall how it was originally installed. The top valve (closest to wall) leads to the air vent, which is above the fresh water inlet on the outside. The short open ended hose is on the top of the tank. These two hoses seem like they must be installed backwards currently... But the short hose has no threaded part to connect to the above mentioned valve (in that location it would be used for winterizing I assume). Does anyone have a similar setup? If so I'd appreciate if you'd snap a photo or share advice.

2) The roof top AC has the optional heating element. It blows cold air but in the heat setting it just seems room temp. The manual states it's only for taking the chill off but shouldn't it feel warm/hot?

3) Electric brakes are installed - will the 7pin connector activate them when needed? Or is an additional (aftermarket) brake controller required? Our GMC Yukon has the factory tow package (stock 7pin at hitch). Dealer said not to worry about trailer brakes working as it's under 4000lbs.

Thanks!
Erik
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20190619_230727.jpg  

MaineErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 08:37 PM   #2

1) Ours is different so others should comment
2) Yes, you should feel some heat. You might pull the cover on the ceiling and see whether the heater is connected.
3) Our Burb was prewired which meant that I had to purchase a brake controller and then the correct cable adapter to make it work. My cable adapter plugs into a fuse panel under the dash above my left foot. I chose a Reese Pilot brake controller which has been a good choice (not too cheap nor too expensive) and easy to set up. I question whether it would even be legal to drive without the electric brakes properly connected to a brake controller.

Old 06-25-2019, 08:23 AM   #3
Site Team

1) Hard to tell from the pic but it looks like the connection at the top of the photo should be the outlet from the pump. The lower line would then come from the tank, it should be fairly easy to verify that it goes to the tank. There should also be a check valve in line with the pump so that water doesn't flow back through the pump into the tank when you're using city water. Something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-23303-B.../dp/B000EDUTN6
2) I don't have one of these installed so I really have no idea, although I've heard that you don't get much heat out of them.
3) You will need a brake controller to make the brakes work. As previously mentioned some states require that if a trailer is equipped with brakes they must be used. If it were me I would want them connected. You should be able to find a good brake controller and wiring harness for your Yukon for under $150.
Let us know how you make out.
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 07:14 PM   #4

Thanks for the advice you two - I figured out the plumbing and read a bit more about the alt heat adapter, so realize too that it's pretty wimpy at providing heat.
I'll look into a brake controller.
MaineErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 09:20 AM   #5

It depends on the state, but most states require electric brakes on trailers over 2000 pounds. Your tow vehicle is certainly big enough to deal with having no brakes on the trailer, but I think the law is also about your trailer having emergency braking if the trailer is disconnected from the tow vehicle, hence the need for a electric brakes and a breakaway switch.
twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 07:22 PM   #6

Get a brake controller and make sure your electric brakes work properly. You will be very glad that you did.

Chirpz is offline   Reply With Quote