Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Tech > Modifications, Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-23-2012, 03:21 AM   #1

Default Water Tank level accuracy

I'm trying to figure out if my water pump inlet is not deep enough in my fresh water tank or if the level indicators for all the tanks (black, grey, fresh) are not accurate.
My pump will not be able to draw water and will run continuously with the fresh tank level reading at 1/3 full(can't get the pressure to 40 psi to shut off). I was thinking the inlet is not deep enough, but now I'm wondering if the sensors are not reading correctly. For example, when I drain the black tank, I can never get it to read "empty". It always says "1/3". Same for the Fresh tank, unless I open the bottom drain valve.
Does anybody know how to find the tank level sensors and the tank inlet for the pump?

4500lb tow capacity using wd hitch
Equal-I-Zer 600/6000 WD hitch
pdavila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:03 AM   #2

Re. the black tank, sometimes residual gunk will cause it to read 1/3. I'm sure even a small amount will garner a 1/3. The indicators aren't super accurate, but provide more of a general idea. Always be sure to empty your black tank when it's at least 2/3rds full. You need the gravity and mass to extract the contents of your black tank. If it's not that full at the end of a trip, just keep flushing the toilet until yet get enough water in there. If you've acquired a used unit and you don't know what's left behind in there, you can try liquid laundry softener after you empty the black tank--just add a gallon of hot water. I do that at the end of the season. It sort of cleans the tank a bit better.

Old 07-23-2012, 05:07 AM   #3

The camper is new and this was the first use of the black tank and no solids were put into it. When I used the dump station I opened the black tank valve, then used the black tank flush inlet and ran that several times by closing the black tank valve for a minute, letting it fill up, then draining it. Then I rinsed out the sewer hose with the grey tank.
The black tank never got very full, maybe we need to use it more often. It's just me and my wife, so not a lot of waste is generated.
4500lb tow capacity using wd hitch
Equal-I-Zer 600/6000 WD hitch
pdavila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:46 PM   #4
M&M

Default Water tank level accuracy

We have had similar problems with our camper this past week. I think a big issue is how level the camper is. All 3 tanks stretch most of the width of the camper and are very shallow. I suspect this can impact both gage readings and ability to draw water out of the fresh water tank. The outlet is on the side of the fresh water tank on our camper. If the camper is tilted so the outlet is on the high side, the tank may still be partially full but the outlet may be above the tank water line, and the pump will draw air instead of water.
Equal-i-zer 600/6000 hitch
M&M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:44 AM   #5

Default The sensors are almost useless

Don't trust the sensors -- they vary greatly. Some are accurate, some not. You have to test the levels yourself. And this is true of many, many trailers, not just Fun Finders.

With the fresh water tank, it does sometimes happen that the pickup for the pump is not in the deepest part of the tank. My dealer fixed that by shifting the pickup to the drain valve area -- that ensures that the pump can get all of the water in the tank. I also tilted the tank by putting a shim under one edge of the tank, to make sure all of the water goes toward the drain.
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote