Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2011, 08:54 AM   #1

Default weird eletrical issue

Hello All,
We were camping this weekend at a state park when about midnight all the lights in the camper started rapidly going on and off. Anything that was electric would go off and on and the little co2 alarm near the floor was blinking check voltage. I went outside and reset the breaker on the box and then checked our breaker box in the camper and nothing was tripped. By the way we have a 2008 funfinder 210 and this was our third trip since we bought it used last month. So I unplugged from the outside power and just spent a cold night without heat or any electricity. Got up early the next day and headed home thinking that the breaker was bad or the box we plugged into was faulty. We got home and it did the exact same thing when we plugged it in at home. I am completely perplexed now so I start to investigate. The only thing I could find is a blown 30 amp fuse coming right off the battery in front by the propane tanks. So I run down to the auto parts store and get a new fuse and stick it in there and everything goes back to normal. Has anyone had anything like this happen to them or can explain why that fuse would cause so much trouble. I am going camping the weekend after next and we will be about three hours away from home and am worried it is going to do it again. Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

rosner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:40 AM   #2

That 30 amp fuse is the "main line" protection device for your 12v system, much like the fusible link in the automobile industry that connects the battery to the car's system. Many things can cause it blow...a faulty ground, a worn insulation jacket that allows the hot wire to contact the frame, a voltage surge at the pedestal; any host of possible causes. I use a "surge protector" on my pedestal connection to eliminate that as potential source of that sort of thing happening, but, many people have camped for years without one and had no mishaps. It may have just been a fluke.

When that fuse blows, it effectively isolates the battery from your system to eliminate the possibly of fire. Since your 12v appliances (ignition for your furnace, water heater, lights, etc) are all 12 volt, removing the battery causes them to cease functioning. Even though your converter puts out 12v to run those when connected to shore power, it needs a battery "sense" to work properly (the battery actually supplies the power and the converter keeps the battery charged) since the output from the converter is "unregulated for constant output" (the 12v output varies based on battery charge condition).

All I can suggest is to check your wiring for frays, make sure that the ground cable has a clean and solid connection and carry a spare fuse (you should gather together a "spare fuse kit" with a collection of fuses for each value used in your trailer). If it happens again, and you can't find the direct cause, it may be a faulty converter or a bad wire in a difficult to find spot (they get very creative when they run the cabling systems on travel trailers). At that point it may be time to let a "pro" check the system out...

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:13 AM   #3

Thanks for the info. That explains alot. I will get that fuse kit together tonight. Thanks again.
rosner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:51 AM   #4

I just returned from a months camping with our 2010 X 210. We dry camped and with shore power. When we parked in our driveway we found the 30amp battery breaker blown.
After much digging about, I found that the wire from the cluster under the bed to the battery disconnect is dead shorted. Although the batteries were fuse protected, the 110 volt system would still pump power into the short. Actually the warm wires helped me to find the problem. This wire is buried in the floor so I will re-wire under the unit.
Another problem with all Fun Finder trailers i have seen is that the switches for stabilizer motors located in the cargo area are unprotected . our gas grill contacted a switch in the up position and burned out a motor. I have since put a shield on the switches.
This unit has only been used for 2 trips so I am surprised that a short would appear so soon..
Ted.
Ted Kenner is offline   Reply With Quote