Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Tech > Modifications, Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-02-2018, 12:52 PM   #1

Talking What should we do with this mess????

All leaks are now fixed but look what keeps getting worse!! Is there something I can do to fix this or do we just suffer with it like this? It is more aesthetic at this point...but geesh....this is cutting into my resale value.
I am wondering about just putting some light metal sheeting over the entire front or something. I am not handy though. So, since i already have sunk about 10,000 into this one, i do not think i want to spend much.
I am wondering about stuffing the sunken spots with something to hold it. lol We have had a lot of great adventures, and hopefully, a lot more to come.
And yes, we have a dehumidifier inside the trailer going all of the time just in case now. But all leaks fixed by an RV tech. He said trade it in quick....

The sides look great btw. It is just the front. Even the gloss was gone and I had to put gloss over it recently.
Attached Thumbnails
20180919_170857.jpg   20180919_170848.jpg   20180919_170842.jpg  

Fun Finder X210wbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 12:53 PM   #2

Sorry about the sideways pix not sure why????

Fun Finder X210wbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 09:12 AM   #3
Site Team

The way to fix that properly is to remove the front cap and replace it, which will probably be $$$$. Did your RV tech give you a quote?

If you're sure the leaks are all fixed the easiest thing is to just live with it. From the pics it doesn't look all that bad.
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 12:03 PM   #4

Seems you have three options.

1. Sell or trade it off and take the hit in the pocket.

2. Have a camper repair place remove/replace the front cap for additional $$.

3. Since you state all the leaks are fixed, just use it like it is and live with the visual imperfections so over time, you will get a useful return on your investment.

Just my 2 cents worth.

PS: Not every camper in use is new and a great many don't look new either.
Old 10-03-2018, 09:31 PM   #5

Default Y

Well you say all the leaks are fixed. If it is getting worse, maybe not. Did they seal the front marker lights. It has been reported that this area (top front marker lights) is where a lot of water can come in to delaminate the front.
twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 11:08 AM   #6

I love how the repair techs tell you to "trade it in quick". Yeah, just push the problem on someone else.
mjpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 04:43 PM   #7

I had the same issue with mine. Leaks were extensive and so were the repairs. I had the entire front rebuilt with new wood. Then the thing delaminated. The fiberglass cover is only about a 1/32 of an inch thick and the front is glued to cardboard. That's why the front goes first. Once it delaminates your only option is to remove it and buy new stuff and glue it back on. They told me about a grand for the front, but the sides had hints of delamination as well so I bailed. Had a fire sale on it and let it be someone else's problem. I was lucky to get 6500 for it. Last fiberglass trailer I'll ever buy.

Most new trailers have a solid fiberglass front now instead of the laminated stuff, so they are more durable. But I went the aluminum route.
Old 10-14-2018, 08:52 PM   #8

I do see a lot of trailers that have delaminated. A dealer told me it isn't always water damage, sometimes the extreme heat from our climate can loosen the glue holding it. but I think leaks are often involved. My son's big travel trailer has a spot in an upper corner starting. he is going to take it off and repair it himself one summer. (he is a teacher and has some time to do it) there may be drawbacks to metal skin/stick trailers, but delimitation isn't one of them.
Hilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 08:36 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilda View Post
I do see a lot of trailers that have delaminated. A dealer told me it isn't always water damage, sometimes the extreme heat from our climate can loosen the glue holding it. but I think leaks are often involved. My son's big travel trailer has a spot in an upper corner starting. he is going to take it off and repair it himself one summer. (he is a teacher and has some time to do it) there may be drawbacks to metal skin/stick trailers, but delimitation isn't one of them.
Tell your son not to wait to long, just shove some glue under the lifted spot. Once it starts your in for world of hurt.

Every trailer type has it's draw back. No mater what it is. Certainly the new fiberglass ones are made better than in previous years. The aluminium ones can get holes from stone chips and ding easily. But they repair easier IMO except for riveted kind.

Bottom line, there is always maintenance with a trailer.
Old 10-15-2018, 08:40 AM   #10

That is true! There is always maintenance on a trailer. Some just seem easier than others and there are always trade offs in every direction...space, money, etc.
Hilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 12:01 PM   #11

Lots of duct tape.

Chirpz is offline   Reply With Quote