Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2011, 07:16 PM   #1

Default What the ....? My water is blue!

In a way this is an update of my earlier post P U What Stinks? where I asked for advice on a strange BO smell in my bathroom.

We took our camper out for the last trip of the season last weekend and in preparation a week or so before I desolved a toilet packet (blue jell pack) in a 5 gallon bucket of water and dumped it down in the shower stall which we do not use all that often.

So we're on the trip and the BO smell is greatly reduced and I'm thinking alright, I can relax a little bit.

Then my wife comes to me that first evening as she's starting the dishes and shows me a clear water glass full of light blue liquid. I asked where she got it and she says it's what came out of the hot water tap in the kitchen. What the .....? So I go into the kitchen and turn on the hot tap and nothing but clear water comes out. On the third day, my wife comes back out with another glass of light blue water and says it was the first shot out of the hot water tap and that now the water is running clear. The blue water doesn't smell like the toilet packet but it sure looks like it desolved in water.

Now I know plumbing and nobody in their right mind would connect the supply side of any water system to the waste side but don't you think it's a little funny that after I dump a blue toilet packet down the grey tank and now I'm getting blue water out of the hot water tap?

What the .... is going on?

WarpathEngineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:12 PM   #2
M&M

Default blue water problems

I don’t have an answer to your problem, but maybe I can provide some food for thought that may help you solve the problem.

To the best of my knowledge, there are only about 4 ways contaminants could get into the water system. They are the through the water tank, through the “city water” hose connection, through the winterizing hose (if your camper has one), and through one of the outlets including the sinks, shower, outside shower, and toilet.

You may want to start with a visual inspection of all the hoses including looking at the winterizing hose for clues.

I suppose it is possible that some of the blue could have been siphoned into the system through the shower hose if it was lying in the tub bottom when you filled it, although this would seem unlikely.

If the camper was on city water when you had the problem, contamination is possible from the water source, your hookup hose, and from the hose inside the camper that connects to the outside fitting.

Although your camper is new, it is still possible that it was winterized at some point, perhaps with something blue in color. It may have left a residue in the water heater or water filter (if you have one).
You might try draining the water heater and fresh water tank and collect the water to see if any blue shows up. If you have a water filter, cut it open and check for blue residue.

Our water heater seems to have some type of blue glass coating in it. Some blue pieces did come out of the heater when I flushed it, but they were bigger chunks and did not turn the water blue. However, it is still something to think about as the problem does seem to be associated with your hot water.

Another angle would be to drain the blue water out of your grey tank and fill it with red RV antifreeze or water with red food coloring added and see if you can replicate the problem. If you get red into your system too, it would indicate there is some type of cross contamination.

Equal-i-zer 600/6000 hitch
M&M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 06:00 AM   #3

Yea, its got me stumped. The shower hose was up in its wall hanger when I dumped the toilet tab down the drain. The winterize hose is under the sofa so that wouldn't be a problem. It could have been the city water at the park but we didn't notice any blue color from the cold water tap. We've used this camper now maybe 10 times over the last two years and this is the first time this type of problem has cropped up. Even though we bought the camper new, it had set at the dealership for two years so it may very well be possible that the lining of the water heater tank is starting to degrade. I know that the annode is chewed up pretty good and I was going to replace it the start of next season. Maybe I see if I can come across an inspection camera and take a look inside the heater tank.

It just seemed strange that I dump blue colored water into one area of the camper for the first time since owning it and blue water appears out of a completely unexpected area within days.

Thanks for the advice.
WarpathEngineering is offline   Reply With Quote