Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Tech > Modifications, Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-21-2011, 07:25 PM   #1

Default What's in the rear wall over the window?

Anyone know what kind of wall stud is used in the end wall of my 2005 139FK?? Is it an alumium "cripple" or a slat of wood? I am trying to mount a TV on the end wall (first to another board and then another board to the end wall over dinette). I seem to think it is wood, but want to be sure....

2005 Sun Cruiser Fun Finder X-139FK
2000 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L (Winston)
Cadillac Sedan de Ville V8 (Great White Whale)
obxgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 07:50 PM   #2

Use screws through the cabinet frame(s) and it will hold just fine. No need to penetrate wall.......

Dontexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 07:33 AM   #3

I don't have the schematics for the framing for that particular model, but, I believe, that all the FunFinderX series have the welded 1" square aluminum framing. There is no "wood" involved in the exterior walls, with the exception of the spare tire mounting, that is between those studs. Usually you can spot where the studs run by looking at the cabinet mounting areas...not the outside edge of the cabinets, but, on the inside of the cabinet you should see a "flange" that the company screws into those studs for mounting.

If you look at the "new" 139 series, you can see where they mounted the swivel arm for the LCD television swing mount on the stud just inside the outside edge of the counter over the refrigerator...

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 03:56 PM   #4

Default Re: What's in the rear wall over the window?

The 2006 Models still have wood frames.
Dave Cole
2006 240X
David Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 08:56 AM   #5

You may be mistaken about your framing... To the best of my knowledge all of the FunFinder line, at least from 2005 on has been aluminum framed... I'll look into it further, but, a friend of mine has a 2005 and swears it is aluminum framing in the walls and roof... I'll let you know what I find out

Don
Bronwyn

Old 03-26-2011, 10:23 AM   #6

Thanks Don...I'd love to know...I have seen YouTube videos of newer (2008 on...) FunFinder frames of aluminum, but would like to know for sure what's in there...

Either way I suspect screwing it over on the sides to the cabinets will be the safest option....

Old 03-26-2011, 10:27 AM   #7

I stand corrected... The FunFinder line went to the aluminum framing in 2007. I thought it was earlier than that... Of course at my age, yesterday seems long, long ago I'll have to let Wayne know his '05 is wood framed :P

Late edit... From CruiserRV: "Aluminum frames began in 2006; complete changeover for all lines by 2007 model year."

In case anyone is wondering sometime down the road

Don
Bronwyn

Old 03-26-2011, 01:46 PM   #8

Thanks...Kewl to know! Guess my boyfriend wins this one...Grrrr

I don't suppose any of you have ever pried off the seam cover at that joint??? I'm wondering if it was glued or just tacked in....

Old 03-26-2011, 03:00 PM   #9

Most likely glued...to the best of my knowledge, even with the wood framed units, the walls are a glued up, layered unit. Exterior wall, wood framing, foam core filler between the framing pieces and then the interior paneling all glued up in a "laminated" sandwich. There may be staples in the wood framed units edges, but, I would think the walls (they are real thin luan plywood) would bow without being glued up. I know wiring is done through channels embedded in the laminated panels...had to dig into one when I put the dimmers on some of my overhead lights and my ceiling panel is glued up to the aluminum framing and the foam board insulation; what a mess.

Don
Bronwyn

Old 03-26-2011, 05:33 PM   #10

Susan, When I put my TV mounting boards in, I just used a table saw to cut a groove the size of this trim pice. That way you dont't have to alter anything.......
Dontexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 08:35 PM   #11

Don,

If I can find my handy-dandy router (which I don't think I have used for 15 years...) I'll rout out a channel for mine too...no use messing it up for the the next guy! But after all I've done to this puppy I can't imagine parting with her!

If snow doesn't prevent me, tomorrow I'll scavenge at Lowe's and get some wood!

Old 03-29-2011, 01:40 PM   #12

Well... Don in Tx and Don the Slave and all others, I am finally trying to get the thing mounted. Yesterday I went to Lowe's and got a 1 x 12" and cut it to wedge in securely between the cabinets so I can screw it in like Don (don't ask which!) did. Of course, the ceiling vs. cabinets was not square at all and it took some figuring as it was more square on one side than the other (of course!) Then I pre-drilled the holes for the bracket (which will have to be mounted way low as the tv goes on TOP of the arm...) and counter-sunk the holes on the back...

I'm draggin home now to put a second coat on the wood of Watco Danish Oil in color "fruitwood"...lookin' good so far. I hope to get it screwed in tomorrow...kind of dreading having to work inside that teeny-tiny area in side the cabinets, but once it's done it'll be over and done.

So far what took the longest was getting my cutsy little saying off the wall (not a big loss as I got it on sale at WallyWorld for $3, but those goobers really stick well!)

I'll take some pics tomorrow..can't wait to see my new Home Theater Box-on-Wheels! Now if the weather would lighten up...i was supposed to join about thirty friends to camp this weekend, but VA is wousy this week!