Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2011, 10:42 AM   #1

Default Where is the battery disconnect switch on FunFinderX 189FBS

I didn't realize it even existed until I started reading a few posts on here. I just bought this TT and took it out on a few trips and enjoyed it very much. But, I think my battery is all dead. I'll have to plug in to my TV in order to have power in the camper. Could someone tell me where this thing is? and how to avoid draining my battery??

Thank you guys.

BigAk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:35 PM   #2

Default Battery Disconnect

Depending on the year of your unit it is on one of two locations on the FBS.

On the older units it is in the storage compartment on the passenger side just inside the compartment door on the left. It is a silver colored plunger style switch. Push in is disconnected and, pulled out is connected.

On the newer units, it is located on the control panel just inside the entry door on the right.

Dave

CubFanMan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 02:21 PM   #3

Default Re: Battery Disconnect

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubFanMan1
Depending on the year of your unit it is on one of two locations on the FBS.

On the older units it is in the storage compartment on the passenger side just inside the compartment door on the left. It is a silver colored plunger style switch. Push in is disconnected and, pulled out is connected.

On the newer units, it is located on the control panel just inside the entry door on the right.

Dave
Dave... Thank you very much for your help. I just looked for the switch and found it in the storage compartment like you said. It turns out my battery is not out of charge; instead the plunger switch was in the push in position. I pulled it out and suddenly all the lights on my camper came on indicating that my battery is still charged... pretty happy about knowing this little detail.

I think it's bad design to put the plunger switch in the storage compartment. Apparently it got pushed in while I was loading the storage with stuff. I can imagine it would get disconnected/pushed in again as I travel and the stuff shifts around; which is not good. Whoever designed it this way needs a kick in the %*&^*^...

Anyway... Now that I know this little tidbit; comes the following question. When should this battery switch be on or off?? Should it be on while I'm traveling or off... How about when I'm camping?? How about when I'm storing the camper?? Finally; how does this camper battery get charged?? Does it get charged via my car battery while driving??

Again; I appreciate your time and help.
Old 12-19-2011, 04:45 PM   #4

Default Battery Disconnect

It should by on when you are using or trailing the unit and off when you are storing the unit.

The battery is charged while towing, and when the unit is plugged into an outlet.

Dave
CubFanMan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubFanMan1
It should by on when you are using or trailing the unit and off when you are storing the unit.

The battery is charged while towing, and when the unit is plugged into an outlet.

Dave
Once again; I appreciate your help Dave.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:21 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAk
I think it's bad design to put the plunger switch in the storage compartment. Apparently it got pushed in while I was loading the storage with stuff. I can imagine it would get disconnected/pushed in again as I travel and the stuff shifts around; which is not good. Whoever designed it this way needs a kick in the %*&^*^...
Agreed. What they should have done was to install a guard around the switch to keep it from accidentally being shut off by shifting cargo. At least its a pretty simple DIY mod to install one.
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 09:51 PM   #7
M&M

Here is a reprint of a post we made some time back:

The battery disconnect on our Fun Finder 210WBS was in the middle of the front storage compartment. It was hard to reach when the compartment was empty and even worse when not empty. Also, putting gear in the compartment could easily switch off the power. We moved the switch and mounted it above the curb side cargo door on the left side of the compartment near the cargo light. It can now be reached either by opening the cargo door or from inside the camper by opening the hatch by the side of the bed. The switch is now protected from cargo bumping it and shutting it off. You can remove and use the existing switch in this upgrade. You will need #8 wire (white color to match stock), a bracket to mount the switch, clips to secure the wires in place, and possibly a plastic wire loom to protect the wires and make the job neater.

Equal-i-zer 600/6000 hitch
M&M is offline   Reply With Quote