Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Tech > Modifications, Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-06-2021, 08:49 PM   #1

Default Will never buy a Maxxfan again!

This is a follow up with an earlier post regarding my Maxxfan. After spending the past month trying to get my Maxxfan working I'm just about ready to give up on this POS. Although it's still under warranty, Maxxair does not have a clue what's wrong. They say that their fans only work with voltages between 12.0 and 13.8 volts and although they have sent me two control boards, the same malfunction occurs. The voltages I tested were regulated at 12.2 v, 12.6 v, and 13.0 v direct from a DEEP CYCLE battery. There are countless complaints on the web of problems with their fans. Only saving grace is I only paid $150 for it, but others got screwed for a lot more. Personally, there should be a class action lawsuit on them for marketing a product that is not designed to function on a RV's electrical system (i.e. voltages up to 14.5 volts when charging).

Anyway, after inspecting the fan, I've decided to gut the electronics and retro fit it with a DC speed controller. BTW, you would think that for the expense, they would use a more efficient brushless motor. Nope, they used a common brushed motor. I will update later once I experiment a little more.

twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 06:31 AM   #2

From what you posted above, it clearly seems the problem is NOT in the control boards but something else.

Old 06-07-2021, 07:53 AM   #3

I agree, unless the boards are faulty from the get go. From my perspective, try to run it from a 5 amp voltage regulator hooked directly to a deep cycle battery tells me it's not the power supply.
Old 06-07-2021, 08:25 AM   #4

My toy hauler came with a factory installed Maxxfan (an option) from the factory and so far, has functioned perfectly fine.
Therefore, would be interested in your results should the same condition ever be encountered.
Old 06-07-2021, 02:11 PM   #5

Like Eagle, our Maxxfan is still working since 2016. I had supposed they were brushless but your idea of swapping to a variable voltage drive or proportional should work fine with the DC motor. Hope you post the results.
Old 06-07-2021, 06:57 PM   #6

An update, sorta. I called Maxxfan today. After being on hold for 40 minutes I finally talked to a technician. I explained the issue and he said the problem is with your motor and not the board. He said he thinks the motor is sending a error to the board. I asked how the board could detect an error from a brushed motor that only has a positive and negative leads and he did not know. Anyway they are sending a new motor under warranty so I will wait and see if it works.
Old 06-07-2021, 07:31 PM   #7

Interesting ... seems like the 'technician' may have graduated last in his class ??? LOL

At least they are sending you a replacement motor that may be the cause.

Keep us posted please and good luck.
Old 06-13-2021, 02:12 PM   #8

How unfortunate. I had two of the Deluxe version put in our brand new FF 15WSK. THEY ARE AWESOME but, ours work.

We never boondock. Except for the time I forgot ... to pack the electric power cord. Fortunately it was a weekend and have an inverter in the SUV.

Please keep me informed. I recommend all the best accessories to friends. Costumer service and serviceability is what I need to know about.
DogsGo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 06:44 PM   #9

Since I waiting on a replacement motor, I decided to add a after market DC motor controller (passing the Maxxfan control board) to the motor that Maxxfan said was bad. And it works great! The after market controller has a rotary speed control nob and a forward, reverse and off switch.
Attached Thumbnails
20210613_201032.jpg  
Old 06-13-2021, 11:29 PM   #10

Well tell Maxxfan. Now you've solved it, let's see what they do!
Old 06-14-2021, 06:13 AM   #11

Apparently the Maxxfan control board was defective as were the replacements. Wonder, were/are they made in China?
Old 06-14-2021, 01:25 PM   #12

Maxxfan seems to have made their current control boards super sensitive to voltages commonly seen on RV and vehicles. Aside from the issues with their electronics, I like the overall design of the fan. The dual lift arms are really nice touch. Anyway, when I finally get the new motor, I will remove the after market stuff and put back all the original electronics plus the new motor and see if it work. But if that fails, at least now I know I can "make it work" with a after market remedy.
Old 06-21-2021, 08:57 PM   #13

New motor arrived on Friday. Installed it today, along with the new control board. And drum roll please, it did not fix the problem. So now I have two new control boards and a new motor and the same malfucting fan. LOL. So I decided to go back to my original fix and make it permanent.
Old 06-21-2021, 09:34 PM   #14

Default Wow

Wow. I think you'll like the modified fan but . . . Wow.
Old 06-22-2021, 06:05 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinster2 View Post
New motor arrived on Friday. Installed it today, along with the new control board. And drum roll please, it did not fix the problem. So now I have two new control boards and a new motor and the same malfucting fan. LOL. So I decided to go back to my original fix and make it permanent.
Time to call Maxxfan and let them know - and tell them to send a complete new fan along with a postage paid return label to send to defective one back....and include a check for an RV facility to remove/install the fan.

Old 06-22-2021, 09:59 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinster2 View Post
JTA, are you testing and operating the fan while it is connected to shore power with the Converter energized? If so please turn OFF the Converter or disconnect from shore power and retest. I am thinking that the output of the Converter might be what is messing up the electronic circuit. Perhaps the Converter is actually the defective component.

Just trying to think outside the proverbial box in light of the history.
Old 06-22-2021, 01:26 PM   #17

Actually, I have tested it with several different power configurations. From the converter., from the the deep cycle battery, with and without regulator. I even used a 5000 mah 30C 3 cell lithium polymer battery. Same result.
So I'm done. I've added the aftermarket speed controller and made a nice clean install.. It works and allows me to reverse flow so I'm happy enough.
Old 06-23-2021, 02:18 PM   #18

Here is a picture of the final aftermarket installation.
Attached Thumbnails
20210623_150446.jpg  
Old 06-23-2021, 04:35 PM   #19

I'd give you an A+ for perseverance and ingenuity!
Old 06-24-2021, 06:14 AM   #20

Although your completed modification gave you a functional fan, I still would have taken the before mentioned approach.

"Time to call Maxxfan and let them know - and tell them to send a complete new fan along with a postage paid return label to send to defective one back....and include a check for an RV facility to remove/install the fan."

Congrats on your success.