Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2012, 09:07 AM   #1

Default Winter storage prep.

My XT276 will be going into storage for the winter soon and I want to clean the roof and wash the exterior.

Is it OK to walk on the roof with tennis shoes?

I'm thinking some dawn dish soap and a soft brush to clean the roof, rinse it off good and then wash down the sides in the same manner.

Sound good or other suggestions/recommendations please.

Thanks.

Old 09-26-2012, 01:43 PM   #2
roy

I have cleaned my roof twice and both times I walked on it with sneakers. No issues. FWIW I weigh 165 wet. I used the campco cleaner wax on the exterior and straight up meguiers car wash on the roof with so so success. I used one of those teliscopic brush poles for roof and sides. With that campco cleaner wax on the exterior you will need to chami dry it on the windows especially or they will spot. I plan to winterize mine in nov got one more week long trip in oct if it gets out of the shop by then.

WERA Expert #826
roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:10 AM   #3

Thanks for the response Roy.

I searched the net and figured it would be OK to walk on the roof 'carefully' of course- & appreciate the confirmation. At 6'2" & 220 a bit more weight tho.

Read about using Dawn dish soap on the net but also have Mequiers car wash and ZipWax wash & wax products and Mequiers rubber/vinyl cleaner.

After more searching on the net, found a product called B.E.S.T. that is made to use on RV rubber roofs...ordered some but will probably do a pre-clean first...with either Dawn or Mequiers.

Also have one of those telescoping brushes that connects to a water hose that plan to use.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:22 AM   #4

I have my winter storage prep 95% complete.

Since the forecast is for below freezing temps (at night) the next several days I beat the cold.

The plumbing system has been winterized and the interiror cleaned, tires aired to 50 psi and may remove the propane tanks yet... and will remove the battery before going into storage.

Yesterday I washed the roof (used Dawn dish soap since the B>E>S>T> roof cleaner hasn't arrived yet) and scrubbed the exterior with ZIP Wash/Wax. Both did a super job and was amazed at the dirt accumulation that came off the rubber roofing material.

Appearance wise, the unit looks like showroom floor condition again.

Only thing left to do is remove some of the condiments from the interior along with all the paper products and put in some cotton balls with pure pine oil and cedarwood oil to keep the mice and bugs and at bay. I 'mouseproofed' the unit right after I bought it (plugged all the holes where plumbing/wires run thru the floor) but that added protection won't hurt ... I call it extra insurance.

On the 14th it goes into inside cold storage.....$30 a month until spring~ sure beat the heck out of outside fenced storage for that much a month or more.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:51 AM   #5

I also put moth balls around the tires and anything else that touches the floor and can be climbed on. Then put some inside near any openings. do the same around the Corvette when it is stored in the heated garage. Them mice love them wires and like to build nests in the engine air cleaner.
hrhvulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:38 PM   #6

I completed my pre-storage preparations and have moved the unit to the indoor storage facility.

I put two packets of 'Fresh Cab' in the camper just in case some mouse would decide to make it home for the winter.

http://resources.earth-kind.com/natu...FSemPAodOHwADQ

Since access is not available until they move it out of the storage facility about mid-April wanted to be sure it wasn't a 'mouse house' over the winter.