Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2019, 04:40 PM   #1

Default Winterized my unit today

Mid October is about the time scheduled for my camper to go into winter storage at the local fairgrounds.

I had hoped for one more outing but this coming weekend is going to be cold with temps below freezing and barely above freezing daytime so decided may as well winterize it since it's in the 60's today.

Rather do it when warm out than when around freezing with rain/snow in the weekend forecast...and snow possible before the weekend.

Aired the tires, drained the WH and fresh water tank, winterized the water/sewer plumbing, put Fresh Cab packets out to deter any rodent visitors (never had any, don't want any) and made sure all food, etc. had been removed.

All ready to hibernate for the winter.

Old 10-08-2019, 03:21 PM   #2

I also winterized last week. Decided to skip all the pink antifreeze this time and just used air to blow the water out. Used about a quart of the pink stuff for the traps and a quart for the holding tanks.

Kfalls189fbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 05:20 PM   #3

Did mine yesterday, I also installed a new head unit, jensen jwm60a, old unit was starting to have issues.
seismo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 11:11 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kfalls189fbs View Post
I also winterized last week. Decided to skip all the pink antifreeze this time and just used air to blow the water out. Used about a quart of the pink stuff for the traps and a quart for the holding tanks.

Especially important to make sure your "low points" are drained too when using the blow out method!
Old 10-09-2019, 07:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Personally, I don't trust blowing the lines out with air and always pump RV antifreeze thru the lines.

Before getting a RV, I professionally winterized mobile homes, motels and homes and found blowing the lines out with air was not sufficient as the repair cost from water froze in the plumbing made the RV antifreeze price extremely inexpensive. This education was received by repairing plumbing 'winterized' by people that blew the lines out with air and no antifreeze pumped thru them.
Old 10-09-2019, 08:16 PM   #6

I'm going to try and squeeze at least one more outing next week (we have a reservation in a county park south of St Paul) before I put my x210 in "suspended animation" for the Winter��. Here in SW Wisconsin, we do have some Winter-like weather forecast for 11-13 Oct. Pretty unseasonal (but historic weather patterns are no longer the norm)�� and I'm definitely hoping for some more Autumn like weather to return before the real Winter gets here��! I too, do not enjoy winterizing the camper in near or below freezing temps. Neither do I like to bring my rig to my indoor storage barn (sadly NOT heated) with a load of snow on the roof.
I usually Winterize like Eagle. I skip the pink antifreeze in the water lines and blow the lines out with compressed air as does Kfalls... the traps and waste holding tanks get about a gallon of the antifreeze combined. In addition to draining the HW heater, I use a wet-vac to get the rest of the water out of the tank and leave the anode plug out so the remainder either evaporates or sublimes away. I suffered a cracked bypass valve near the HW tank prolly due to a tiny bit a water left in the valve. I'll be taking steps to minimize that issue this year��. I also disconnect the pump and run it for a few seconds to remove any water in the mechanism. I'll be dismounting my newly installed accumulator too. The charcoal filter is removed from the under sink unit and stored indoors with my "city water" filter. The Fresh Cab packets are strategically placed as are numerous dried sheets. I've not suffered any damage from rodents but have (in the past) noted evidence of scouting parties ��. Perishable foodstuffs and any products might suffer (or burst their containers) are also removed and stored indoors. The battery is removed and placed on a maintainer in my workshop
I don't actually look forward to winterizing but it's a pretty straightforward process and I feel that things will survive until the next camping season.
RipVan

2007 Shadow Cruiser x210, 2004 RAM 2500 4x4 QuadCab SLT 5.9L CTD, Factory Tow Pkg (3.73 axle), HaulMaster WDH
RipVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 02:53 PM   #7

I know I just winterized my trailer. Weather is supposed to turn nice again, wife and I discussed it and we're going to get one more outing in. Bring the trailer home dewinterize get it ready to roll down the road. Get back, I'll winterize it again and put her away for the winter.
seismo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 05:09 PM   #8

Started snowing here yesterday morning...first light rain turned to sleet and then into snow. Cleared for a bit, used the snow blower to clear the driveways and sidewalk.
That was a waste of time. It was snowing again the AM with wind gusts of over 40 MPH and heavy, wet flakes of snow.
Everything is coated in white...and more snow enroute for tonight and some tomorrow as well.
Isn't CLIMATE CHANGE wonderful?
LOL LOL
Old 10-12-2019, 10:29 PM   #9

Just finished pumping RV antifreeze through the plumbing and throwing a cover over the trailer. Only thing left to do is pull the battery and put it on a float charger.
twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 05:07 PM   #10

I winterized my unit but that is not the end of my camping. I will now take along a couple of two and a half gallon jugs of water, and as much as I prefer boondocking, I will stay at state parks and use the restrooms. So I will camp until the Utah and Colorado snows force me to stop.
Rocky Mtn marmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 03:52 PM   #11

Quote:
Did you blow the water out of the black water flush too?
Old 10-17-2019, 12:28 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
Did you blow the water out of the black water flush too?

I know that *I* do now!!
DiverRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 08:55 AM   #13
APD

Talking

Winterizing ..... mmmm. I'll have to look that up.

Just kidding. We do have to winterize here but not just yet. Gonna try for one more week in the north GA mountains before putting it away.
I always use the pink stuff. It's inexpensive and easy to undo/redo for those mid-winter Florida trips .....
Finding a nice little spot in FL in mid-winter can be a challenge sometimes.

Alan
1994 GMC Camper Van,
APD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 08:24 PM   #14

Got my last outing for the year (last weekend) over and done with so it was clearly time to Winterize and get my FF tucked away for the season. Didn't really expect it but for the last weekend in October, today was pretty nice (~50 deg F) and prefect for Winterizing. I always think that it will be a pretty straightforward task but it generally takes a good share of the day to do it. There always seems to be something that needs cleaning, repair or needs to be removed before storage. Anyway, as mentioned in an earlier reply to this thread (and perhaps against the better judgement of others ), I drained all of the water lines and blew them out (twice) but did not pump the pink stuff into the system. I've been pretty fortunate since I've owned the camper to not suffer from this method. Two gallons of antifreeze did go into the drain traps and the black and gray water tanks. I probably went overboard with mouse prevention (Fresh Cab packets, dryer sheets and mouse poison) but I've never had a mouse issue. The guy that owns the storage building said that this year the likelihood of a mouse issue is even less since he's acquired a new cat that has proven to be an excellent mouser!
We're expecting some snow here in West Central WI tomorrow night so I'm very glad to have my X210 in "suspended animation" until Spring. One less thing to worry about !!
RipVan

2007 Shadow Cruiser x210, 2004 RAM 2500 4x4 QuadCab SLT 5.9L CTD, Factory Tow Pkg (3.73 axle), HaulMaster WDH
RipVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 06:01 PM   #15

Being in north Texas, this was the earliest I have winterized in the few years I have owned a trailer. Supposed to (barely) drop down below freezing the next two nights, so figured i would do it just in case. I also am running the heater since I have a motorcycle in the trailer that doesn't have antifreeze in the radiator.
snlsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 08:24 AM   #16

A crisp, frosty 13 degrees here this morning.

Old 10-31-2019, 06:02 PM   #17

Ran the heater as low as it would go without clicking to OFF. I was about 28-30* last night and when I went to leave for work, peeked inside at the temperature reading (clock has a built in thermometer) and it was 40* inside. With the other thread about using gas when running the heater, I took a picture of the gas gauge on the tank yesterday when I turned on the heater. After running it for 2 straight days (when I can shut it off tomorrow), I will take another picture to see the difference.
snlsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 07:22 PM   #18

Well I just finished using our 210uds for the last time yesterday. Made it through many cold nights and days with no issues, -15 degrees Celcius. Winterized with RV Antifreeze. Shut down the fridge and this year I removed the TV as I will use it in the ice fishing shack this year. Placed the cover on it just as it began to snow. Only 6 more months before next camping season. Lol Sorry about the sideways picture. It wouldn't let me rotate. Silverado
Attached Thumbnails
20191103_143143.jpg  

Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote