Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2020, 04:05 PM   #1

Default Winterized my unit today w/freezing temps in the forecast

Night time temps dipping to freezing this weekend so opted to winterize my unit today.

Followed the normal routine of blowing the lines out with air and follow up installing the antifreeze (PINK RV antifreeze).

Although never mentioned that I have read, also blew out the black water flush line to be assured any water in the line would not freeze and bust. Already replaced the backflow valve once when didn't blow out the line and it was in a tight spot .. not easy but doable and did not want to do it again.

All set for winter storage except for removing the battery.

Old 10-01-2020, 08:48 PM   #2

Camping in WestCentral Wisconsin this week. Temps forecast to dip into the low 30s between 0100 & 0800 on Friday (2 OCT). Propane heater has been keeping inside temps in the camper around 63 degrees. I think that I'll be OK overnight. Not quite ready to throw in the towel and pass up more camping trips before the end of OCT but I just may have to if the overnight temps continue to drop into the sub-freezing zone. Weather forecast apps are predicting daytime highs in the mid-60s for the next few weeks. Kinda hard to put the camper away with that kind of weather.

2007 Shadow Cruiser x210, 2004 RAM 2500 4x4 QuadCab SLT 5.9L CTD, Factory Tow Pkg (3.73 axle), HaulMaster WDH
RipVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 07:14 AM   #3

Temperatures vary wildly in the fall here as in a couple of weeks, to be in the 70's again daytime.

Camper cleaned inside, bedding washed, bed remade, roof scrubbed and outside of unit washed and clean as can be so all set for storage.

Did not have any place really wanted to go yet this fall so no big deal to get it winterized now for the winter.
Old 10-03-2020, 01:25 AM   #4

Not winterizing yet. Still have one more camping trip planned in two weeks in lower Michigan. Still warming here.
twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 08:38 AM   #5

48 degrees right now with high forecast of 53 and going to be 32 degrees tonight.

That time of year with wide changes in temperatures ... in a few weeks to be 70 again but then, the forecast is wrong more than right IMO.

Regardless, not taking any chances. As they say "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."
Old 10-05-2020, 06:32 PM   #6

I broke down today and started the Winter prep. Mainly, I did the things that prevent damage when the temps drop below freezing. Of course, now we'll have beautiful weather for the next two or three weeks! I generally don't fill the plumbing system with RV anti-freeze. I have had good results with thoroughly draining the system and blowing the remaining water out with compressed air! I know many with disagree with this method but it has worked well for me. I still have to do the "mouse-proofing" before I take the trailer out to the storage barn.

2007 Shadow Cruiser x210, 2004 RAM 2500 4x4 QuadCab SLT 5.9L CTD, Factory Tow Pkg (3.73 axle), HaulMaster WDH
Old 10-06-2020, 09:08 AM   #7

Yes, have to do the mouse proofing before moving the unit to winter storage.

I've used Fresh Cab since purchasing the unit and never had a mouse or found any droppings ... the stuff really works.

Available here and many other places, farm/home stores, Wallyworld, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LYV88MS...S&linkCode=asn
Old 10-06-2020, 06:25 PM   #8

I really like the Fresh Cab product for "mouse proofing" too! I have seen it for quite a bit less than $32 at some of the local "Farm/Home" stores in the past ��. I'm talking $12-15 (on sale). If Cab Fresh isn't available, the Grandpa Gus product is similar. I do believe in multi-modal mouseproofing though so I usually strew a bunch of dryer sheets around inside the cabinets and enclosed spaces. Just in case any mice with "olfactory issues" happen to get in, I place a few poison dispensers in the camper too��. All of my treatments may just be wasting my money though as the storage barn has several cats on patrol all Winter long ��.
I have more trouble with mice in my house than I do in the camper ��!

Old 10-07-2020, 05:54 AM   #9

RipVan .. oh yes I agree some sell Fresh Cab for less than Amazon.
IIRC the last I purchased a box of 4 packs at a local Farm and Home store it was about $12 - $14 like shown here:
https://www.runnings.com/catalogsear...t/?q=fresh+cab

Old 10-11-2020, 03:21 PM   #10

Default Black tank flush

Hi Eagle,
Got a ? For you. How did you replace the black tank flusher? I believe mine has frozen and broke ( cause we get a water leak under the tub when we dump and flush) I have pulled the tub bottom out and can see where the 90degree elbow screws in is cracked in 2 spots. To me it looks like it is welded into the tank. We have a 2014 215wsk fun finder. Also where can I get a new one.
FunFindsUs! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 04:27 PM   #11

FunFindsUs .. I did not replace the black tank flusher. I replaced the black water flush check valve that had froze and broke - and purchased an identical replacement here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

With this valve busted from water freezing in it, when using the black tank flush, water was expelled into the living area of my unit.

This valve is located (on my unit) a short distance from the outside hose hookup for the black water flush.
For me, it required removal of a piece of side paneling inside the cabinet that houses the radio and below the TV. Very tight quarters to work in but possible. Then again, at my age I don't 'bend' like I used to!

The valve location on your unit may be different.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-11-2020, 10:56 PM   #12

Default Black Tank Flush Winterizing

How did you winterize your black tank flush?
MTFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 08:02 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTFun View Post
How did you winterize your black tank flush?
Like blowing air thru the water lines .. simply blew air into the water inlet for the black tank flush.

I used a rubber tire valve stem pushed against the black tank flush inlet and blew air in ... with the black water drain open of course.

I used air only -- did not follow up with the pink antifreeze.
Old 10-12-2020, 08:46 AM   #14

Thanks for the help. I winterized yesterday because of the falling temps (low 30s at night), but did not think about the black tank flush, so thanks for your post.
MTFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 09:00 AM   #15

You are welcome
Old 10-17-2020, 09:00 AM   #16

Getting a hard freeze tonight with todays high in the low 40's w/30mph breeze and heading for 16 degrees tonight.

Glad my unit is all winterized and ready for winter storage where I will take it next week for it's long winter nap.
Old 10-17-2020, 06:53 PM   #17

Took my FF out to the storage barn (actually a pretty nice pole building) today ��. We've been having some darn cold nights lately and now snow is in the forecast for the next couple of days ��. I really like for the camper to be inside before snow starts to pile up on the roof. I had Winterized the plumbing a week or so ago so all I had to do today (or so I thought) was remove the stuff that is possibly needed during the storage period and put it in the garage.
I thought that gray and black water tanks had been drained when we dumped after our last camping trip but I was mistaken. My plan was to do soapy hot water wash and rinse of the black water tank then add a gallon or so of the pink RV antifreeze. To my surprise, the hot soapy water dislodged way more "you know what" than I expected. Bottom line, I have some pine trees in a back corner of my property that got a bit of "extra nourishment" before Winter. The gray water tank was less of a mess but still had more liquid in it than expected. Looking back, I think that the dump station at the last place we were at wasn't properly graded as the pavement sloped away from the drain hole! I should have known that there would be some residual! After several 5 gallon pails of rinse, I think things are OK.
I did "triple threat" mouse-proofing" using CabFresh packets, Grandpa Gus' packets and dryer sheets! If any mice are "immune" there a a couple of poison bait dispensers under the table ��. I should be good to go!

Old 10-18-2020, 06:23 AM   #18

RipVan ... sounds like you are all set.

I did another sweep thru to double check and remembered to remove the batteries from flashlights, clock, TV remote, etc. Also double checked for food (none) and removed the liquid BWT from under the bath sink and the 2 BARS OF SOAP. HUNGRY MICE EAT BAR SOAP!

Then I set out 6 packets of Fresh Cab and poured a near gallon of RV antifreeze down the drains and toilet since I had drained the tanks dry last week.

Also aired the tires to 65 PSI before storage time.
Old 10-18-2020, 08:22 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
RipVan ... sounds like you are all set.

I did another sweep thru to double check and remembered to remove the batteries from flashlights, clock, TV remote, etc. Also double checked for food (none) and removed the liquid BWT from under the bath sink and the 2 BARS OF SOAP. HUNGRY MICE EAT BAR SOAP!

Then I set out 6 packets of Fresh Cab and poured a near gallon of RV antifreeze down the drains and toilet since I had drained the tanks dry last week.

Also aired the tires to 65 PSI before storage time.
The "smoke/CO" detector is an oft forgotten device from which to remove the batteries. When I picked up the camper this year, the "low battery" alert was chirping away. Obviously, the one device that didn't get "de-batteried" I didn't check and top off the tire pressure but probably should have. I'm having one of my propane tanks re-certified this week and when I re-install the cylinder, I'll air up the tires. Good call!
While my pole building storage barn isn't heated, there is overhead lighting and a nearby power outlet that's available to me. I do have a couple of projects that I hope to work on this Winter.

Old 10-18-2020, 08:41 AM   #20

Darn ... forgot the smoke detector battery ... thanks will pull it.