Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Tech > Modifications, Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-14-2016, 08:06 PM   #1

Default Winterizing questions

I've winterized my FunFinderX 130 for several years now, but I still don't think I'm doing it properly. Specifically: 1) how do I drain my water heater? Usually I close the valves creating a bypass and then add antifreeze to the rest of the system. I cannot see or find any kind of a drain plug. 2) My freshwater tank doesn't drain even when valve open. And 3) last time I used my water heater I got brown warm water out of it. Does that mean it has gone bad or could be sludge from not draining it last year? Thanks for any help. Also, can I leave water heater switch on all the time/safety shut off, or just turn out when I need hot water and then turn off afterwards?

spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 08:25 PM   #2

I drain the water heater by removing the anode rod. Looks like a blank plug near the bottom of the water heater. It takes about a 1 1/4" (?) socket to remove it.

The fresh water tank should drain by opening the drain valve. If not, the valve is defective and needs to be replaced. Old stagnant water is not 'healthy' nor safe to drink.

I've never used the electric element, only gas to heat water.

Just how I do it.

Old 11-14-2016, 09:38 PM   #3

Eagle is correct. You find the plug from the outside of the trailer. Remove the cover of the water heater and you will see the plug. Use a socket wrench and extension to remove it. Its easy. When you put it back in, apply a little teflon tape or plumber's putty to the threads.

If you live in an area that has hard freezes and you fail to drain the heater it could freeze and break. I know because on my old trailer, mine DID freeze and break. I discovered it the next season when I filled the water tank and turned on the water....bad surprise!
Chirpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 07:58 AM   #4

Here is where you will find the anode rod/drain plug on a typical RV/camper water heater.

Old 11-15-2016, 11:28 AM   #5

Be sure to release the pressure valve located at the top of the water heater BEFORE you remove the anode rod. If not you may get an unintended shower !!! Don't ask me how I know!!LOL!!
Lolead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 08:16 PM   #6

You can also avoid a shower by opening the hot water faucet, I think.
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 11:52 AM   #7

Spoon, perhaps others can correct me if I am wrong, but the brown water in heater tank could be from a rusty anode rod. Those can be replaced when they get bad. And it likely got that way by leaving water in the tank all the time.

As for leaving heater on...I leave mine on all the time when camping only. When it's at home and not in use, heater switch is turned off. That goes for when in transit too.
Old 11-24-2016, 07:46 PM   #8

Default Thanks!

Appreciate the good helps! I finally got it done but had to buy a new socket and rachet for bigger sizes than my current kit (1 1/16" it turns out). Now I know. Thanks again.
spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 08:17 PM   #9

Glad you got 'r done!