Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2022, 12:52 PM   #1

Default X139 roof plywood

Hi,

I'm planning on fixing solar panels on my x139 2008 roof. Is there a plywood underneath the roof membrane or its just insulation panels ?
I'm looking for solid material and i'm a little bit confused about the roof composition layers!

Thank you !!!

David

davbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 12:35 AM   #2

Hey Dave, I have a 2008 139X, I believe its plywood. I am always walking and messing around with stuff on my roof. I noticed things like the bathroom skylight, tv antenna, AC and other things are attached to the roof by wood screws. I don't think you'll have any problem mounting solar panels on the roof. I was thinking of doing the same.

Old 07-08-2022, 01:49 PM   #3

They use 1/4 inch Lauan plywood on the roof. Ironically, Lauan is not waterproof, but it's cheap which is why they use it. Also, I used well nuts and dicour lap sealant to mount my panel.
twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 11:57 AM   #4

In addition to our ‘09 FF 189FBS, we also have a Six-Pac Cabover camper that was purchased new in ‘02.

We use the camper for really tough locations where the trailer is not practical.

Plus the ability to also tow the kayak or boat trailer.

In ‘04, I installed a solar panel to keep the battery charged when boondocking or very remote camping.

Used 3MTM Marine Adhesive/Sealant 5200. Last week, I decided to reseal the roof, marker lights, and side windows. Then decided to replace the solar panel since it was 18 years old. It was difficult to remove.

The 3M marine adhesive did a great job. The less holes in your roof, the better,
IMO. Ran the wire into and down through the refrigerator vent affair.

Make sure the roof is cleaned with alcohol — attach the corners using plenty of goop — and you are done.

We live in an area with plenty of snow, sun, and rain — no issues.

Best, Fred
Attached Thumbnails
B2682ABC-F8D8-4D45-807A-71C96753C441.jpeg  
foakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 12:21 PM   #5

I attached two 100 watt panels to my roof. The Lauan plywood is about 1/4" thick which actually gives a pretty good amount of material to dig into. I mounted each with six brackets. One at each corner. The other two were positioned midway to allow me to drill one screw each into the aluminum sub frame below. I used three #10 half inch long button head self tapping screws per bracket, (longer ones into the aluminum). I pre drilled each hole to ensure the plywood would not split but also allow enough meat to dig into, applied self leveling sealant to the bracket and into the holes before installing screws then sealed around the screw heads. I also used self tapping screws into the aluminum as well and made sure the hole was the correct size to allow threading the aluminum without stripping the aluminum or snapping the heads off. I then used a roof penetration box and ran the wired down behind the microwave, through the wall between the kitchen and bed (I have a 189 FBR) and then down to the front storage compartment where my charge controller is. Then I installed a 100 amp hour LiFePo battery. Huge improvement, now I never worry about my battery going dead.

2008 189FBR
2007 FJ cruiser
Equalizer Hitch
Tekonsha Prodigy Brake controller
Yamaha EF2400is generator
chupp21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 12:59 PM   #6

Like many other FF owners, I secured panels using well nuts into the luan ply. In the meantime, I have done this with three additional panels on our current trailer. Never a problem. If you have an interest, you can read my description and see the pics I posted by searching here
https://www.funfinderclub.com/forums...-2-a-2265.html
2016 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 4x4
jbfunfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 08:56 AM   #7

Thank you guys , your experience and knowledge is very appreciated !!

davbeau is offline   Reply With Quote