Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2013, 07:42 AM   #1

Default X275 AC Tripping a Breaker

Hi all, I just picked up a X275. I have it at the house and have started cleaning it up. I am having issues keeping the AC running. We have had highs in the 103s in the last few days. I am connected to a 20Amp circuit. Using a 50' 12g extension cord. The AC will run for about 10-20 minutes before tripping the 20amp breaker in the camper. I am assuming it is because I am only connected to a 20amp circuit. I did try connecting to what I think is a 30 amp circuit that runs my pool pump and had the same issue. Any advice would be appriecated. Hoping I don't have an issue with the AC. Does anyone know where I can get circuit breakers for the camper? My next step is to switch out the breaker. If that doesn't work I will tow it to the lake and hook up to shore power there.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:19 AM   #2
Site Team

For sure you need to be hooked to a 30A circuit. Anything less will cause the breakers to trip.

Even if your pool pump circuit is 30A if the pump is running then the total load may be too much.

LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:39 AM   #3
roy

I have had the same problem at times with a 276 plugged into campground 30 amp service. When plugged into my house 30 amp which I know for a fact is a real good 30 amp never a problem. The times it tripped at the campgrounds it was real hot outside and the camper had been towed in that heat all day long. I have a 50 amp converter and have used it at local racetracks I visit instead of their 30 amp service and the AC did not trip Ty's breaker on hot days. I hope it stays like that because I will be at Barber Motorsports park August 24-25 in some serious heat. I think the fun dinners have some sketchy wiring and couple that with old worn out campground power and its just going to throw the breaker everytime. I leave the access panel door open in the 276 so the cool air can keep the breakers cool. Not a 100% fix but every little bit helps.

WERA Expert #826
roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:09 PM   #4

Thanks for the input. I am going to go through the breaker box to be sure I don't have any loose connections. It is just brutal working on this thing when the temps are 100+.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:19 PM   #5

I put a 30 amp plug outside because I have the same problem. You can't run the AC on a regular extension cord.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-30-Amp...3#.UgA-cdLVB8E

I'm lucky enough to have my electrical panel outside, so I just picked up a pigtail like you would use for an Air Conditioner (6ft 3 wires with connectors which is sold in the same aisle) and a 30amp breaker. For about $50 total and 30 min of effort I now have full 30amp service at home.

If you're not handy, it's worth hiring a handyman or electrician. wouldn't take anyone more than 30 min unless they have to run wires through walls.
LagoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:57 AM   #6
roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by locobilly
Thanks for the input. I am going to go through the breaker box to be sure I don't have any loose connections. It is just brutal working on this thing when the temps are 100+.
Finding things loose on a Cruiser product not that hard to do. I found several loose wiring connections at the breaker box and several other places when chasing my breaker throwing issue. Even once tight it still would pop the ac breaker when really hot outside even on 30 amp except at my house 30 amp drop. I suspect the campgrounds have shoddy wiring also.

WERA Expert #826
Old 08-06-2013, 09:44 AM   #7

Good Point Roy. I just had my 1 yr warranty service and electrical was one of the big issues. They had to put in a larger junction box up front because the wiring for the battery charger and electric tongue jack had come apart. I'm not impressed at all with any of the electrical connections in my x210. I rewired my battery terminals after being able to pull the wires loose by hand.
LagoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:37 PM   #8
roy

I've had the main fuse corode up and pop the fuse which controls tongue jack. Once I figured out what was going on I realized how crappy their wiring up there was. Redid a few things and got it back working. My one year is up but I have a five year extended plan which is useless unless something big big goes bang, $75 deductible. I have recently been fighting a terrible plumbing job cruiser invented on my shower drain. I have repaired the leak twice but one more failure and I'm making a warranty claim and eat the deductible. Its a horrible design or shall I say no design that's going to be a problem for years to come in my eyes. Its time to pass the buck on to them with that problem.

WERA Expert #826