Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2011, 12:00 PM   #1

Default XT-276

The sound system on my 276 has an A/B/both AB switch, I assume to move to selected speakers. My system works on ABboth (inside and outside), but I cannot get it to turn the outside speakers off, regardless of selected position.
This means, if we listen to radio, or watch a dvd, it plays the outside speakers as well as inside. I'm assuming this was wired incorrectly at the factor, but I'm looking for advice on this. Any ideas?

thetymax3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:03 PM   #2

Default Radio Speakers

If bought from a dealer, it should be under a warrantee period. I'm about to have mine checked which is recently purchased. Seems the A (inside) works, the B (outside) works, but the C to play both, is only static. Guess a wire is disconnected or shorted. Hope we both get satisfaction!

2011 FF X-189FDS
2009 Toyota V6 Highlander
lowcountry4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 09:30 AM   #3

As a rule, the "C" button is for another set of speakers...not a "combination" of "A" & "B" speakers together.

If you want to play both "A" and "B" speakers simultaneously, just press the buttons so that both are in the "On" mode. The "C" button is actually for a third set of speakers and on most TTs isn't used. In theory, if you had a separate bedroom area, you could have "A" for living area, "B" for outside and "C" for the bedroom. To play both inside units (living area and bedroom) you would press the "A" button and then the "C" button...both "A" and "C" speakers would then have sound coming out of them.

The reason the "C" button is humming/static, right now, is that there isn't a load on the outputs and you are getting feedback through the other speaker channels. That's the way they are usually set up; that doesn't rule out the possibility that yours is wired outside the norm

Now the one that doesn't shut off (outside "B" button) whether in the pushed in (On) position or out (Off) position, is most likely a malfunctioning unit...you could check by turning both A and B speaker groups off. You should then get no sound at all from any speakers. If you are still getting sound out the B speakers, then it is the unit's internal B switch that is bad. If you get no sound at all with both turned off, but, you get sound outside with the A (inside) button on, then you have crossed wired, most likely, speaker wires where the B speakers are most probably wired together, or , shorted together so that the B speakers are being powered by the A switch along with the inside speakers.

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 02:24 PM   #4

Default Speaker output

Hi, thanks for the explanation on the switch buttons and load for each control. It's great having FF owners like yourself that can help those with the knowledge or to see the obvious. Now to relax and enjoy the music.

2011 FF X-189FDS
2009 Toyota V6 Highlander
lowcountry4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 06:56 AM   #5

thanks for the info, in my trailer, the A B and C are on a "switch", not buttons, you can only select 1 of the three. any ideas?
thetymax3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 08:12 AM   #6

I'm sorry... I wasn't aware any of the FF line used a stereo with a rotary speaker selector. The Jensen's that I was assuming were in all their models use the A/B/C pushbuttons. If it is a rotary switch, you most likely have an internal short in the switch leaving the outside speakers hot all the time.

It would be possible that the factory wired all the speakers to the A terminals, but, that would be really slim chances IMHO, and if they did that, then none of the speakers would work in the "B" position... Do the inside speakers go "Off" when you choose the "B" speaker (outside) selection? There is no way that I can visualize wiring the speakers so that "A" plays both inside and outside, "B" plays only outside and "C" agains plays inside and outside (that's what the "C" should do). If all the positions play both sets of speakers all the time, then I'd put my money on a faulty switch with the outside speaker terminal shorted to "hot" all the time...

As a rule, most stereos come with wiring harnesses that include the male and female plugs. There would be a harness plug attached to the stereo that was wired by the radio factory when making the stereo and it will only fit the matching plug supplied by the stereo factory to be wired into the owner's speaker/power/antenna wires. It would be very difficult to have any kind of short in the harness that would produce both sets of speakers working all the time on positions "A" and "C", but, not on "B". You are talking about an awful lot of wires that would have to be "wired" or "shorted" together to get all the speakers to work in all those switch positions (2 per speaker, 2 speakers each, inside and outside). That's a minimum of 8 wires that would have to wired incorrectly (and that would be incorrectly with proper polarity) to have the speakers work "accidently" that way. I could do it, but, it would have to have some thought and dilegence in order to do it intentionally, and, IMHO, I don't think it could be done "accidentally". You would have to have "accidentally" wired 5 wires together, times 3, and in proper polarity to get all the speakers to work all the time in all three positions. Very slim... My money is on a bad switch in the stereo and very likely with a rotary A/B/C style switch (that's one of the reasons you don't see rotaries any longer...)

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote

« Mods | ceiling sag »