Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2011, 04:12 PM   #1

Default xt 276 water leak at slide

Last fall I had the slide out and there was a severe rain storm with horizontal rain. Lower front corner of slide had water intrusion wetting the carpet and the dinnette side recieved slight water damage. It looked like the water flowed down the front lower slide track and entered inside. Has any one had any problems with water entry on there slides?

woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 06:14 PM   #2

Default Leaking Slide

My FF-189FDS came from the factory with the mandatory slide leak. In a pounding storm with the horizontal rain you mentioned, the carpet under the dinette was soaked. very irritating because the carpet behind the dinette storage drawers also was soaked. I took it back to the dealer. What a pointless exercise that was! They caulked the top and inside seams of the slide with goop that I haven't been able to clean up to this day AND did not even slow down the leak. Looking at the slide, I noticed a trim piece framing the outside edge of the slide wasn't very well caulked. I used some silicone window/door caulk from Lowes to run a new bead and it hasn't leaked since. Lessons #1: If you look carefully at the exterior of the slide you may discover the source of the leak better than the dealer. Lesson #2: Don't assume the factory caulked anything.

Patient and understanding wife
dlhilliard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 04:35 AM   #3

I worked on my slide leak over the weekend. My leak was the same as yours, right at the corner of the slide, actually both front and back but thank the man upstairs, I don't have carpet in mine. I found that the bottom corner trim on the slide, a little piece of 1 x 1 aluminum angle, where the caulking had failed so I decided to take it of, clean it up and re-install. What I found was that whoever put them on at the factory managed to over torque the mounting screws (there were two per side) and snapped the head of allowing the angle trim to work itself loose.

I cleaned them up, used Sikaflex 221, ran a bead of Sikaflex on the inside of the angle trim and caulked the outside, and new ss screws in new holes. Hopefully this fixes it.

Good luck with yours, nothing is worse than water leaks!
WarpathEngineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 10:49 PM   #4

I took my xt 276 in on Wednesday to my local fun finder dealer to have them check for the water leak. They found that the flap type weather strip on the front portion of the slide is not contacting very well,flap is too short to seal on side of slide.They also mentioned someting about a double seal that is missing on that front seal.I hope that they are right and can fix the leak.I was also considering putting on a slide awning to maybe help with any water problems.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:45 AM   #5

We added a slide topper just for this reason. A lot of early rv's (maybe still do if they don't have a topper) with slides had problems with water getting in from the roof of the slide. Our is just wide enough that if it is a rain with little wind it will also keep the sides dry. It also keeps the sun off the roof in the summer-- keeps it a tab cooler. I think our Dometic topper installed cost around $300.

Ron
Old 09-04-2011, 07:37 PM   #6

Default Slide leak, OH BOY

How did these leak situations end up?

We were excited to bring the FF home just Thurs 9/1. Then I did the 'rain test'. I use an oscillating sprinkler on the roof for a few hours to simulate a descent rain, though without sideways wind!

I have a leak at front corner of slide, under carpet, enough to run in puddles over to the TV cabinet and door. Barely got a Tech at the shop before closing Friday and he says, 'another item should have been caught by the PDI guys'. Told me to check both front and rear between the outer and inner seals to see if there was water. Rear side dry as a bone, but front side had water coming in and wetting the entire side of slide right behind the outer seal. Seals 'seem' to be looking right, but .... I'm going in Tuesday. At least the Dealer is only about 10 mins away from my house!~

Also found a rain gutter issue, Slider side, just forward of slide, over the bedroom window. There is a joint in the gutter there where they had to add length. Stupid installer couldn't figure out how to install with a straight edge I guess, because we have a nice V valley there that directs 80% + of the water off that side of the trailer right down the side of the trailer and over the window!

You want to just go and slap these assembly line guys silly! Good ol Modern American Craftsmanship I guess.

2012 FF X-214WSD
2010 RAM 1500 Crew Cab 4x4, 5.7 Hemi MDS, Huskey 1200lb trunnion WD, Prodigy Brake
Yamaha EF2000i
Prion Seayak Kayaks
fischnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 07:13 AM   #7

Default Two years and counting

I notice that it's been two years since my original post above. The slide leak has never returned so it is possible to fix these things yourself. I'm still cleaning silicone residue off the slide walls from the dealership's indiscriminate use of self-leveling caulk in their aborted attempt to fix the problem. I still doubt that dealers should be trusted to fix leaks. Mine just siliconed everything that didn't move.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:14 AM   #8

Default Re: Two years and counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlhilliard
I notice that it's been two years since my original post above. The slide leak has never returned so it is possible to fix these things yourself. I'm still cleaning silicone residue off the slide walls from the dealership's indiscriminate use of self-leveling caulk in their aborted attempt to fix the problem. I still doubt that dealers should be trusted to fix leaks. Mine just siliconed everything that didn't move.
dihilliard, THX for getting back ... I wonder if you could explain the spot that you found to caulk a bit more? After reading your post yesterday, I went back out and looked all over the outside of that slide out and could find nothing that looks like it needs a dose of caulk, or that appears that it is allowing water into the trailer. I did not detect water in the carpet inside the dinette storage under the seat.

I pulled the slide in a bit to look at the inside seams and see that there are triangular plastic pieces screwed and caulked to the slide wall at top and bottom perpendicular to and against the inside wall frame, if that makes sense. The top corner of the piece on the bottom front wall edge (where the leak was detected) is not caulked on top edge for about 2" and stands out from the slide wall about 1/4". That could be the location of the leak ??? But that doesn't explain how water is getting into the space between inner and outer seals on the front side and not on the back side of the slider. No water seems to get into the top edge seal at all.

I think when I take this in, I will stay and see what they do .. and be direct with the service manager about making sure they are talking with the engineering group at the factory so they are fixing the right thing and not just throwing several cylinders of caulk at it as you described!

2012 FF X-214WSD
2010 RAM 1500 Crew Cab 4x4, 5.7 Hemi MDS, Huskey 1200lb trunnion WD, Prodigy Brake
Yamaha EF2000i
Prion Seayak Kayaks
Old 09-05-2011, 03:08 PM   #9

Default Slide leak

My slide has trim pieces completely around the outside face. They are arranged exactly as a picture frame would surround a picture. The bottom trim piece was not completely caulked on the top edge. In addition the triangular trim piece at each corner of the slide face was not very well caulked. I believe this was the source of the problem. However, the dealer said they adjusted the fit of the slide when they caulked. So, apparently, it is possible to do that adjustment and may be all that you need to do since you are seeing more water between the seals on the front side than the rear side Again, assuming I understand front/back/side/etc.)
Old 09-24-2011, 05:19 PM   #10

Default water leak

I have had my XT276 back for about 4 weeks now after the RV dealer here replaced all the inner bulb type seals and exterior flap type seals,had several days of rain and no leaks.The outer seals are wider and seem to have better contact on the side of the slide wall where mine had the water leak.I think I am still going to install a slide awning to help keep the water on the outside.My dealer seemed to have to battle with Funfinder to get the parts for the repair but all in all they did a great job on the repair.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:38 AM   #11

Default Mine fixed maybe?

Well, we are on the 2nd week of our first outing. Trailer was set up at a friends we were visiting and it rained all night. We were staying in our friends place, but checked the trailer.... NO WATER. YEHA! We are due to get some rain this week here in Oregon, so we will see.

I have the level bubble set for the slide to be ever so slightly lower than the other side, so I'm sure that helps a bit. But I think the #1 problem was that water was getting in between the outer flap and inner bulb seal and then down between the outside slide wall and that triangular plastic piece at the bottom corner closest to the trailer. We (the dealer tech and I) figured the water must be going in there and from that point into the bottom inside of the slide frame, and then dribbling down into the carpet at that front inside corner. Any rate, we resealed that with silicone, added a screw, added some butel (sp) sealer tape to a few areas that it looked like moisture could invade where the dinette light power line runs. So far so good, at least when there is run off from the outside on the slide, it all runs to the OUTside edge, then off the top and no water runs down the gear rails toward the inside.

I know the tech did not know much more than I did about what he was doing (read nearly 0) and no one bothered the call the factory when they did not know what to do. From now on, when I report my next problems (yes, have a new list started after they submitted the first list of 14 items to the factory), I'm going to call and talk to the Cruiser Technician line to see what they tell me before going to dealer!

2012 FF X-214WSD
Yamaha EF2000i
Prion Seayak Kayaks