Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2013, 07:42 AM   #1
roy

Default XT276 black tank, strange plate at toilet opening

Not sure if this is normal or not but it seems to be causing the toilet to clog up. My wife can stop up any toilet, a combination of just too much toilet paper usage and not a clear understanding of how a RV toilet works I guess. On this XT276 I notice there seems to be some sort of baffle plate located between the tank opening and where the base of toilet starts. On our old coachman hauler I literally could see the bottom of the black tank but on this thing it appears to be some sort of plate at the connection joint with a slight slope to it. Problem is and it's happened twice toward the end of week long camp stays when tank gets right at 2/3 full showing on gauge. Paper accumulates between this plate and opening from toilet plugging it up. It's a nasty adventure for me to unplug it. I have to use a short broom stick handle to circle stir the plug undone while running water through the flush from outside. My question is what is this plate for or is it suppose to be one there at all? It's out of warranty now and I failed to have the dealer look into this. I have a 5 year extended warranty but there is a $75 deductible for any use of it. I basically bought the warranty only for big item failures. I have managed to unplug the toilet each time it's done it but I really do not like this design something just doesn't seem right. And yes I've scolded the wife several times because I know she just doesn't understand these toilets are not like house units. This women could literally live in a bathroom.

So is this plate some sort of splash baffle which has something to do with the flush or is it another cruiser RV screwup at the time of build. I do see water coming from the one side of plate when the outside flush is in operation so I assumed the plate is there to direct the water to all sides of the tank. I'm just guessing as I do not know how it's constructed. I really hate the thought of having to pull the black tank from under this thing. But I hate the potential clog problem too. And yes we use RV approved toilet paper.

WERA Expert #826
roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:50 PM   #2

I've never seen a plate like that, not in the rigs I've had or worked on, but, a WAG would be a diverting plate, not "anti-splash". The scissor valve in the toilet will prevent any "splash" while traveling or using, but, one of the most "dreaded" black tank problems is caused by a direct drop into the tank; the "pyramid". When you flush the tank, any solids and TP drops straight into the tank from the pipe. Most people don't use enough water when they flush the John in the RV; for a host of reasons, but, that is the worst thing you can do. That straight drop, with not enough water causes those solids to build a pyramid of solids that when the tank is emptied, just there. They dry out and become a solid build up that over the years will eventually get right up to the opening and prevent the toilet from being able to empty. By that point you're really between a rock and a hard place; those pyramids are terribly difficult to remove, even with "digesters" and "solid dissolvers"...over time, they virtually "petrify". That brings me back to the WAG of a diversion plate...that plate should help to "spread the wealth" of solids when the toilet is flushed.

I know it is one of those "very difficult things", but, you'll need to re-program the DW to use less paper (and good luck with that ) and get her to use more water to thoroughly was the waste and paper off of and away from the diverter. As you've found out, it may be a "better path" to empty the tank more frequently than to keep dealing with the clogs.

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:58 PM   #3
roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by webslave
I've never seen a plate like that, not in the rigs I've had or worked on, but, a WAG would be a diverting plate, not "anti-splash". The scissor valve in the toilet will prevent any "splash" while traveling or using, but, one of the most "dreaded" black tank problems is caused by a direct drop into the tank; the "pyramid". When you flush the tank, any solids and TP drops straight into the tank from the pipe. Most people don't use enough water when they flush the John in the RV; for a host of reasons, but, that is the worst thing you can do. That straight drop, with not enough water causes those solids to build a pyramid of solids that when the tank is emptied, just there. They dry out and become a solid build up that over the years will eventually get right up to the opening and prevent the toilet from being able to empty. By that point you're really between a rock and a hard place; those pyramids are terribly difficult to remove, even with "digesters" and "solid dissolvers"...over time, they virtually "petrify". That brings me back to the WAG of a diversion plate...that plate should help to "spread the wealth" of solids when the toilet is flushed.

I know it is one of those "very difficult things", but, you'll need to re-program the DW to use less paper (and good luck with that ) and get her to use more water to thoroughly was the waste and paper off of and away from the diverter. As you've found out, it may be a "better path" to empty the tank more frequently than to keep dealing with the clogs.
I do believe you are correct that this is some sort of diverter plate. I have voiced my concern for her to use more water less paper and it fell on deaf ears. The two times it has happened we had been camping for a few days on full hookups which I try not to empty that tank unless it gets up there on the guage. Which may not be accurate. From my vantage pint looking into the toilet with valve open it appears that plate is rather close up to the hole opening into the tank so it's not going to take a lot of paper really to stop there and eventually block anything afterward. Can I take something and push that plate down some more without damaging anything or breaking it loose? I am not clear as to how/what it is attached to down there.

WERA Expert #826
Old 03-01-2013, 09:58 AM   #4

I'm not real sure about pushing the diverter down any... On most RVs (trailers at any rate) the distance from the base of the toilet to the top of the black tank is relatively short. I'd be afraid that pushing the diverter down any (if it is a friction fit and not an integral part of the pipe) would wind up with it laying in the bottom of the tank. On 5th wheels and MHs, the distance from the toilet to the tanks is usually greater, travel trailers, though, have the toilet virtually mounted to the top of the tank; it is only a short "stub" pipe that connects the toilet's outflow opening to the tank's inflow.

Were it me, and I wanted to affect a change to the plate, I'd try and see if I could remove it altogether from the top. You don't want it dropping into the tank as it would eventually find its way to the drain pipe and block the draining of the tank altogether. Removal would increase the odds of a "pyramid" forming, but, conscientously rinsing the tank when emptying should deal with it and a black tank rinser would certainly be an aid. If you rig doesn't have a black tank rinser, I'd certainly consider adding one given the DW's proclivity for the usage of TP!

Don
Bronwyn

Old 03-01-2013, 11:32 AM   #5

Default It might be trash from the manufacturer!

Is this plate a black plastic circle? If so, I found one in my new trailer's black tank valve -- it had a hole in the middle. It was very clearly a cutout from the side of the tank when they installed the valve. I discovered it before anyone had used the bathroom, thank goodness. I reached up with my hand, pushed it up and out of the valve, and I was able to retrieve it through the valve by rotating it.

If this plate is free floating, it is not supposed to be there. If it is on hinges, then it is not an accident and you might have to live with it.
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:57 PM   #6
roy

It's too big to pull up through toilet opening. It's attached in some way at the base of the toilet hole into top of the tank. Or attached to the top of the tank. It's sloped I can tell that so it's most likely there to prevent the pyramid webslave refers to. Nice concept but with my toilet paper happy wife it's not turning out to well. The XT276 does have the rinse/back flush and I use it a lot to prevent build up. When on I can see water and hear it spraying on the inside of the tank. I just can see some splashing above the plate from one side. I hear it doing a good job in there or at least it sounds aggressive. That brings up another question should I be using a water regulator on the water hose going into the side of camper back flush connection? I've been doing it without one as it seems to cleanse the tank better but I'd hate to blow an internal water line to the black tank.

I had a little talk with my wife this morning concerning what I see as excessive toilet paper usage. She won't change I'm certain as this women has the worst form of OCD there is. I'll just go prepared to unclog a toilet on every trip. Lol

WERA Expert #826
Old 03-01-2013, 01:30 PM   #7

Need to put toilet paper in ziplock bags after use, and dispose...
2000W GoPower Inverter
2x6V LifeLine Battery's
GoPower Solar Elite System
2x Honda 2000's w/ 30 AMP Plug
2x145w Polycrystalline Solar Panels
EAZ-LIFT Weight Dist. Hitch
MARLANDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:59 PM   #8
roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARLANDO
Need to put toilet paper in ziplock bags after use, and dispose...
She will never do that!!! The germ phobia has consumed her after 20+ years of hospital work. And she is allergic to just about everything man made. Had to get rid of the last hauler due to formaldehyde in it. This XT276 was sold as a 'green' unit and so far she has not had an allergic reaction to it. I can't change her ways I'll just have to do that unpleasant job occasionally of unstopping the clog I guess.

WERA Expert #826
Old 03-01-2013, 02:05 PM   #9

Definitely use a pressure regulator on the black tank flush assembly. Those tank rinsers are actually more susceptible to over-pressure than your RV's plumbing is...it doesn't take a lot of pressure to blow the internal vane off the rinser body and then you just have water inlet with no "rinse" spray. IIRC, Tornado tank rinsers are topped out at 40-45 psi before damage will occur, per their owner's manual (I installed them in both the black and gray tanks on our old 210WBS). I use a Watts regulator on the water supply to the RV that is set for 50 psi and the rinsers work OK at that pressure, but, I've stayed at parks that had unregulated water pressure of 120 psi...that would blow the rinser in a heart beat. Most parks struggle to get to 40 or 45 psi, but, there are a fair number, particularly in the "heartland", that use existing or older farm irrigation wells and those pumps can put out a lot of pressure.

If you can't get the DW to cut down on the TP usage, try to get her to at least stand there and watch while she's flushing to make sure all the paper gets by the diverter. That means you'll probably have to empty the tank more frequently, but, at least you may cut down on having to clear so many clogs.

Don
Bronwyn

Old 03-01-2013, 02:15 PM   #10

BOOOM!

http://www.shurflo.com/marine-produc...s/default.html

2000W GoPower Inverter