Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2021, 08:28 PM   #1
Cnc

Default 2007 Fun finder x189 fbs

Hi all,
New member here and just bought a 2007 x189fbs today.
Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question but what is the hitch ball size on these models? The seller who didn’t appear to know much said 2” but before I go to get it tomorrow, I want to make sure it’s not a 2 5/16 ball and show up with a 2 inch ball.
Thanks

Cnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 09:41 AM   #2

Both of my Fun Finders used 2 inch balls.

Old 07-16-2021, 11:10 AM   #3
Site Team

I'm going to guess that the 189 fbs will use the larger ball. The dry weight on that model is about 3400 lbs. That's 1200 lbs more that the 139. My 210 came with the 2 5/16 ball and it's dry weight is about 3700 lbs, only 300 lbs more than the 189.

Having said that, a 2" ball can be rated high enough to support that weight, but typically only the smaller trailers like the 139 and teardrop styles use the 2". So you might want to buy one of each size ball just to have all the options covered and return the one you don't need. A bit of a hassle but you'll have all the possibilities covered.
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 12:06 PM   #4

Hi CNC. I am also a newbie, and I have a 2007 189FBR. It has a 2 inch ball.
GaryR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 03:07 PM   #5

By the way, CNC, a couple more points: first, congrats!! Second, welcome to our little club. And third (OK, 3 points), be sure to ask lots of questions -- us old-timers enjoy answering them.
Old 07-16-2021, 07:23 PM   #6

When I bought my ‘07 x210, I hauled it home. (Only a couple of miles) using the hitch that I had with a 2” ball. I later noticed that just behind the coupler, the requirement for a 2 5/16” is stamped into the metal plate!
My advice is to look closely in the area just behind the coupler for the required ball size. You may have to brush away some accumulated road grime to see the stamped info but it should be there!

2007 Shadow Cruiser x210, 2004 RAM 2500 4x4 QuadCab SLT 5.9L CTD, Factory Tow Pkg (3.73 axle), HaulMaster WDH
RipVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 08:18 AM   #7
Cnc

Thank you guys for the reply’s. It turned out to be 2 inch. Got it home with only a couple of hiccups. First every time we plugged in the trailer to the truck the brakes energized and locked up. Hopefully it is just a poor ground or the plug messed up with stray power going to the brakes. New truck factory equipped brake controller so I would think the problem was is with the trailer. Well we cut the power wire for the brakes and just took it easy. Next we almost got it home and got pulled over by the police. He said you don’t have tow mirrors,I said yes but I have truck mirrors and can see pretty darn good, I saw you flashing your lights behind me with the silliest non confrontational grin I could muster. He said it would be $170 fine per mirror if I continue on without them. He told me to go buy strap on ones at Canadian tire which just happened to be a 2 min walk from where I was stopped. So a 10 minute shopping spree to get mirrors and off we went without any further delays. I must say the trailer tows real nice behind the truck even without a torsion bar hitch, which I intend to buy, any recommendations there?
Thanks guys.
Old 07-26-2021, 06:24 AM   #8

Send a message via AIM to anthonyx2
Default Brake Controller and Break-away brake controller.

The brake controller in the truck responds when you actually press on the brake pedal, either activated or not and usually the supplied power to the brakes from the controller varies with how sensitive the controller is set by some type of knob or dial on the brake controller in the tow vehicle.

There is also a break-away brake controller that is activated in the event of an emergency with the trailer becoming disconnetced from the tow vehicle. There is a pull cord /pin that attaches to the tow vehicle with the pin going inside the break-away brake controller. If that pin is pulled (Or missing) from the control box on the tongue of the trailer, the brakes will be applied full force on the trailer as long as there is power in the trailer's battery.

If you are connected to the tow vehicle and that pin is not seated in place in the break-away controller, the brakes will be applied when you connect the harness from the trailer to the tow vehicle, which sounds like the situation you could be in... or perhaps the harness itself is not wired correctly with power going to the brakes instead of some other wire.
Old 07-26-2021, 06:50 AM   #9
Cnc

That is exactly the situation we were in. When weasked what the cable and pin were for the owner didn’t know and nor did we. Figured it out once we got home. As I mentioned I cut the blue break wire to get home, but what I didn’t realize till I took the trailer side plug apart last night was the + wire was not connected inside the plug and just bare wire sitting there.. It may have been making contact when we first tried to move the trailer but by dumb luck settled into a non contact position while I was man handling the plug to cut the blue wire. I cut back all the wires and cleaned up all the contacts in the plug so we will try hooking it up tonight. At least I know a 4 brakes were working as all 4 wheels were locked up when plugged in.
Thanks for the reply.
Old 07-27-2021, 11:18 AM   #10

take both sizes and try both before adding to hitch, lock it (the camper hitch flap style lock) on the ball that fits best, and be sure it won't pull out
wishuwerehere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 05:49 PM   #11
Cnc

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishuwerehere View Post
take both sizes and try both before adding to hitch, lock it (the camper hitch flap style lock) on the ball that fits best, and be sure it won't pull out
Thanks, it turned out to be 2 inch stamped on the trailer hitch.
Also tested the wiring after I rewired the plug, all works as it should brakes included, so pardon the pun, I’m a happy camper.