Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2010, 01:05 PM   #1

Default 2011 Ford Explorer and 210WBS

I am in the process of purchasing a 2011 Ford Explorer. It has a V6 with 290 horse power and 255 torque. It will be a great SUV for my lifestyle of hiking, skiing, and camping.

I have been doing a lot of research on light weight travel trailers and I really like the Fun Finder X210WBS. But I'm concerned about the weight and length. Should I go with the 210WBS or the 189FBS? I'll be towing it over the Cascade Mountains and up to Canada. I'm not in a hurry, I just don't want to ruin my vehicle.

I'd like your opinions. Thanks.

Old 10-21-2010, 07:24 PM   #2

Sorry that someone hasn't responded to you yet. People are usually very prompt in responding on this forum. How much can I tow is a common question here. Since you haven't purchased the Explorer yet, you might try finding the advertised curb weight and GVWR. The difference between the two weights is approximately the cargo capacity. Then add up the weight of a full tank of gas (app. 7.5 lbs/gal), all passengers, all glove compartment contents and tool boxes, and all camping/sports equipment. Don't forget to add the tongue weight of the trailer at 15-18% of published dry weight for the FF-189 or 210. Compare the total of all these weights to the cargo capacity. I like to take my toys (mtn bike, kayak, generator, etc.) along when pulling my FF-189. I recently loaded all this stuff into my Chevy P/U and weighed it at the local truck scale. To my horror I was over the GVWR even without my wife aboard. No wonder I had trouble pulling the mountains in Colorado. I loaded the trailer and took the combination back. The trailer, at 4300 lbs, was far below the GVWR. Conclusion: It's hard to overload the FF-189 because storage space is so limited, but easy to overload the P/U. The tongue weight on my loaded FF-189 is 600 lbs which is about 16% of advertised weight. The combination of the trailer weight and P/U was 9940 lbs.
This has been a long and rambling answer, but the central point is don't just look at the horsepower, torque, and tow rating of the vehicle. Carefully consider the total load you'll be carrying/towing and the terrain where you will be driving. IMHO I need to upgrade my tow vehicle (315 hp Chevy V-. This Spring I'll be buying a Chevy 2500HD P/U.
Patient and understanding wife
dlhilliard is offline   Reply With Quote