Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2016, 10:15 AM   #1

Default Anyone Towing With a RAV4 V6?

I'm trying to downsize from my 4Runner. This RAV4 V6 interests me. Rated at 3500lb. I have a FF16 for now but thinking of downsizing to a Casita or maybe a FF13.9

I've been real happy with my FF16, had it for ten years with no real problems. I would just like to go smaller so I have less chance of hitting things. (like Bikers)

I'm 71 now and want to keep rolling as long as I can before the kids take my keys. Been driving big equipment most of my life and notice when I drive a smaller vehicle all of the sudden there seems to be a lot more room on the road.

Any thoughts? HH

Haole Hiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 10:56 AM   #2

This fella named Jon probably has more miles pulling with a V6 Rav4 than anybody around. He has to be approaching 100K miles or so of towing an Escape with it.

http://vermilye.blogspot.com/

Lakeshoreimages Presents Jon Vermilye's Nature Photography, Travel & RV Pages

EDIT: I believe he is now using a Tacoma

EDIT 2: It's been a while since I have looked at Jon's blog. Just looked, and it appears he replaced the Rav4 with the Tacoma in May of this year. I have had a few emails back and forth with him in the past, so I'm sure if you contacted him he'd be glad to give you the details of towing with both the Rav4 and the Taco.

gmw photographics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 05:20 PM   #3

Thanks GMW , I appreciate the vector, I'll check it out. HH
Old 09-24-2016, 10:30 PM   #4

I tow my FF189FBR with a 2013 Highlander. Both the RAV4 and the Highlander have the same engine. The issue is that the weight of the tow vehicle needs to be significant enough to handle the weight of the trailer and also be able to handle the hitch weight. My trailer is 3100 pounds dry and about 3700 pounds loaded with a hitch weight of around 400 pounds which includes the weight distribution hitch. The highlander can handle up to a 500 pound hitch weight and a 5000 pound trailer. Not sure what a RAV4 can handle.
twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 08:50 AM   #5

We have the same trailer, but I believe the dry weight of ours is 2750 pounds, not 3100. They must have made them heavier two years later.
It's a big world...explore it!!!
Michigantraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 12:50 PM   #6

Default Towing With A RAV4

Thanks folks, I appreciate your thoughts and advice. I emailed with Jon who was towing the Escape with the RAV4 and it sounds like it's a bit small for the job. He has switched to a Tacoma and is much happier with it.

That 269HP Rav4 just really appealed to the Hot Rod side of me. Guess I'll stick with my 4Runner until I'm forced to change and stick with my FF16 until I find a deal I just can't pass up. They really are both fine pieces of equipment and meet my needs well.

That's the trouble with human nature you're never completely happy with what you have. You're pretty sure there is something better just around the corner. Not true of course. I should try harder to to remember that.

Best Wishes, HH