Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Tech > Towing and Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-22-2015, 07:04 PM   #1

Default Can't get my WDH head low enough!

Recently bought a HaulMaster WDH from Harbor Freight. Decent reviews and decent price.
Unfortunately, I don't think that I'll be able to use it with my '04 RAM 2500 due to the hitch receiver height being about 22" and the hitch height on my FF x210 being about 17". I have a non-WDH with a 6" drop that seems to be the right height. With the WD head in the lowest possible position on the adjustable shank, the top of the ball still above the top of the shank! I have looked for adjustable drop shanks but I'm not feeling the love of paying MORE than the cost of the WDH for the adjustable shank (~$180)!!! I realize that is probably my only option but was wondering if anyone has come up with a more reasonable "work-around"?
I''m sure that some will suggest that a "better" hitch is the answer but I'm guessing that similar designed hitches will have the same problem.
Any suggestions? Thanks.
RipVan

2007 Shadow Cruiser x210, 2004 RAM 2500 4x4 QuadCab SLT 5.9L CTD, Factory Tow Pkg (3.73 axle), HaulMaster WDH
RipVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 09:35 AM   #2

I'm a bit surprised that no one has commented on my plight as I'm sure that others have had to deal with a similar situation. I've found a product that just my do the trick. I have to do some calculating to see if my idea and the "facts" actually line up. We'll see.
RipVan

2007 Shadow Cruiser x210, 2004 RAM 2500 4x4 QuadCab SLT 5.9L CTD, Factory Tow Pkg (3.73 axle), HaulMaster WDH
Old 05-25-2015, 11:09 AM   #3
TCP

Default etrailer has one

for $71. I bought that when I was towing with my sienna. Needed to lift the whole thing up.

http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-...urt/17120.html

more choices:

http://www.etrailer.com/s.aspx?qry=s...rts-pa-1&ymm=0
TCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 08:09 PM   #4

I think that I've found a reasonable solution to my dilemma. Curt makes an adjustable drop shank that allows for a significant amount of drop. I'm pretty sure that it's going to do the job. I was a little concerned that the road clearance at the bottom end of the shank is just over 7 inches but there's other stuff that's about that close so I should be OK as long as I don't get too crazy with "Off-Road" travel.
The on-line vendor's price was about 1/3rd of the local camper dealer! If it was close, I would have gone with the local shop BUT at 3 x the cost, NO WAY!
I've found that I have to relocate the breakaway brake switch but otherwise, it should be a pretty straight forward install. Wish me luck.
RipVan