Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Tech > Towing and Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-15-2015, 08:49 PM   #1

Default Considering a Larger Trailer FF 214WBS

My current trailer is a 2008 FF189FBS. The dry wt tag says 2950 lb. With propane, awning, ac etc along with camping equipment, chairs clothes and the like I am guessing 4000-4200 lb gross for the trailer.

I have a 2013 F150 with EcoBoost engine, Auto, and a 3.73 rear axle and the max-tow package giving a towing max of 11000 lb according to Ford. I have towed this rig up to Lake Tahoe via three different routs, all going from sea level to 7000+ feet with no problem.

The trailer is a bit too small and it's time to consider a slightly larger trailer, the one in mind is a FF 214WDS which has a dry weight of about 4400 lbs. With all things being equal, this would increase my total towing weight to about 5500-5700 lb.

Does this present any problems?

ffloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 09:56 PM   #2

Default Re: Considering a Larger Trailer FF 214WBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffloyd
The trailer is a bit too small and it's time to consider a slightly larger trailer, the one in mind is a FF 214WDS which has a dry weight of about 4400 lbs. With all things being equal, this would increase my total towing weight to about 5500-5700 lb.

Does this present any problems?
None what so ever

http://www.funfinderclub.com/phpBB2/...pic.php?t=3120

Old 07-16-2015, 08:05 AM   #3

When checking weights for towing, ALWAYS use the GVWR for the trailer! The dry weight is useless since it is usually an estimate. My 265RBSS actually weighed 400+ lbs more when I picked it up new than the advertised dry weight. With that said, you should be OK with this rig and your truck. You will notice that the performance uphill will be considerably less though.
2003 GMC Sierra 1500 Z71 4x4 5.3L w/towing package
dhyravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 02:45 PM   #4

Default Re: Considering a Larger Trailer FF 214WBS

[quote="ffloyd"]

We really love our 214 ... but were looking at a few slightly larger TTs until I looked at length and the weights. I would tend to agree with others that you likely would not have issues ... but it just seems like that Eco V6 is being over rated for real world towing, in mountains, occasional necessary acceleration, etc. ... just my feeling without any experience with the Ford. So I would definitely weigh your truck & TT outfitted with what you travel with, leaving nothing out that you would throw in & considering the bodies in the cab. Remember you need to consider not only the loaded weight of the trailer to compare to the truck's tow rating, but also the full, loaded weight of your truck for its payload capacity as well as the GCWR, gross combined rating (loaded truck & TT) of your truck. FYI, our loaded 2012 214WDS weighs in at 5200 at the axles plus the tongue weight on the truck of around 800 lbs., which puts us about right on the GVWR of the trailer, but well within the tow rating of 8550 for our RAM. But then you need to look at the individual loaded axle weights + the trailer weight to get the gross combined weight. The 'loaded for travel' axle weights on the RAM are 3450 frnt and 4100 rear (800 of which is the trailer tongue wt) so we are within my 6800 GVWR for the truck without the trailer on it, but over the GVWR a tad with trailer hitched. All of which says we have a lot of 'stuff' we carry in the truck cab & bed. GCWR for my RAM is 14000, so our 12750 is comfortably within that rating.

All things considered, even tho the trailer is nicely within our tow rating, the truck's limited GVWR of 6800 is the limiting factor. Even tho the HEMI will literally fly with the TT, straight or hills, I stick with the rating for the truck. I KNOW many 1/2 Ts I pass on the road are way overloaded somewhere in the equation with the large TTs their towing!

2012 FF X-214WSD
2010 RAM 1500 Crew Cab 4x4, 5.7 Hemi MDS, Huskey 1200lb trunnion WD, Prodigy Brake
Yamaha EF2000i
Prion Seayak Kayaks
fischnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 04:19 PM   #5

Hey Fred,

Just for reference, the OP is driving an EcoBoost.

As I mentioned in our "private message", the FF 214 is a perfect match for the Eco Diesel. I know the Ram's payload is marginal (compared to the other brands) but is still a very capable package. The Eco engine weighs 50 lbs more than the Hemi so that extra weight is automatically subtracted from it's payload capacity. I doubt that Ram would be doubling their diesel production this year if it couldn't pull a 6,000 lb travel trailer safely.
And for grins and giggles, everyday I'm traveling on the road, I run across a Hemi owner who approaches me to indicate that they have been considering an Eco.

But back on topic, you are certainly correct to advise anyone towing to know the actual loaded weight of the trailer and tongue weight. Also need to know the truck's payload and account for the weight of everything (like an Alaskan bushplane). And if you every read the Eco Diesel Forum you'd be amazed at the 10,000 loads people are towing with their Ecos. (Note sayin they're within limits)

Old 07-22-2015, 10:49 AM   #6

Yes, saw that. Still, maybe just need to have the experience driving one, but my initial reaction to the ratings on many V6 gas rigs is that the factories are 'pushing it', even if it is a Turbo. Big difference between a gas and diesel V6! But that's just MHO!

It amazes me how little most of the dealers know, both RV and truck, about these various ratings and how they apply to the rigs and associated safety and wear factors.

2012 FF X-214WSD
2010 RAM 1500 Crew Cab 4x4, 5.7 Hemi MDS, Huskey 1200lb trunnion WD, Prodigy Brake
Yamaha EF2000i
Prion Seayak Kayaks
fischnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 01:41 PM   #7

Don't get me started on RV dealers I know a lady who was sold a travel trailer with the assurance that her Honda Accord would pull it just fine. I'm not sure if he was making more on the trailer or the hitch system he charged her for.