Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Tech > Towing and Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-12-2015, 11:24 AM   #1

Default Dodge Diesel

Hello Out There! I'm pulling my 2012 Fun Finder 214 with a 2013 F-150 3.7 litre v-6. The TT weighs about 4,700 lbs and think I'd be more comfortable with MORE POWER! Anyone have experience with the 3 Litre Dodge v-6 diesel ? Would love to hear of some experience here, the weight you're pulling and how it feels. Thanks

rolandr47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 09:32 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolandr47 View Post
Hello Out There! I'm pulling my 2012 Fun Finder 214 with a 2013 F-150 3.7 litre v-6. The TT weighs about 4,700 lbs and think I'd be more comfortable with MORE POWER! Anyone have experience with the 3 Litre Dodge v-6 diesel ? Would love to hear of some experience here, the weight you're pulling and how it feels. Thanks
We've had a Ram Ecodiesel for a year now. At the moment it has 18,000 miles on it and 10,000 of those have been pulling trailers. About 8,800 of them were pulling our 2015 FF 214 WSD. The manufacturer's listed dry weight was 4,800 lbs and they're typically heavier than their brochure spec. Fully loaded, I would guess we were closer to 6,000 lbs. I'll go on record and say that they are the absolute perfect combination for each other.

We spent last winter in Florida with it. We stayed at one park in Carabelle for the month of January and just took day trips in the Eco cruising the little roads to all the surrounding State Parks. Driving between 50 and 55 mph we often averaged over 30 mpg for 200 mile days.

Then in the spring we headed west from Georgia to Lake Tahoe and Yosemite National Park in California. The Eco pulled magnificently no matter what the ambient temperature (110 degrees in Utah) and no matter what the grade (20% on Old Priest Rd heading to the west entrance of Yosemite). The facts are simply that the Eco makes slightly more torque than the 5.7L Hemi gas engine and it makes this 410 lbs/ft at 2,000 RPM. Pair that with the super slick and precise German made ZF 8-speed tranny and you've always got the perfect gear when you need it. The Eco is available with a 3.55:1 or 3.92:1 gear rear end. We chose the 3.55 for overall better fuel economy and it had no problem pulling the 214 WSD. It was quite easy to leave cars behind pulling away from a light without rhomping on the throttle at all. People with heavier trailers prefer the 3.92:1 gear. Weight is not as much as factor in mileage as aero drag and the big front on the FF kept fuel economy down around 13.6 mpg at 65 mph. This is still much better than the gas Hemis do pulling the same trailer.

The Rams in general have a slightly smaller payload capacity than the GM and Ford trucks because they use coil over rear suspension instead of conventional leaf springs. The ride quality is like a luxury sedan as a result. However, we have a 250 lb shell over the bed and carry quite a bit of gear also. The heavy tongue weight of the FF 214 caused noticeable sag in the rear which was easily leveled out with the weight distribution hitch. However, as such, the back of the truck felt a little soft to me so I added a set of Timbrens which are longer and stiffer rubber "bump stops" than the stock ones. They did the trick. If you haven't bought the Ecodiesel yet, consider getting it with the Air Ride Suspension, especially if you plan to tow a lot. It is automatically self leveling and supports the extra tongue weight perfectly. It also allows you to lower the truck significantly lower than stock which makes getting in and out of the truck easier and also increases fuel economy when lowered at freeway speeds. People actually lower their Ram and use the back up camera to back under their coupler and then raise the truck to engage the ball with it .... pretty slick

Old 11-13-2015, 08:45 AM   #3

Default Eco Diesel

That is complete and great info. Will save this and consult when shopping. Thank you sir.
Old 11-13-2015, 12:43 PM   #4

Hi,

Thanks for this info on the EcoDiesel!

I'm trending to try this Timbrens solution.
Which version did you install?
The 6000 or 7000lbs version?

Thanks!
Old 11-13-2015, 12:47 PM   #5

Quote:
That is complete and great info. Will save this and consult when shopping. Thank you sir.
No problem Let me know if you have any other questions.

Neil

Old 11-13-2015, 04:21 PM   #6

Default Air Suspension

Neil,
Since you mentioned air suspension and self-leveling feature, would my ez weight distribution hitch work with this feature?
Old 11-13-2015, 10:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suny View Post
Hi,

Thanks for this info on the EcoDiesel!

I'm trending to try this Timbrens solution.
Which version did you install?
The 6000 or 7000lbs version?

Thanks!

This is what I installed ........

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o07_s00

Old 11-13-2015, 10:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Neil,
Since you mentioned air suspension and self-leveling feature, would my ez weight distribution hitch work with this feature?
Any of the weight distribution hitches work with the Air Ride. There's just a prescribed procedure in the owners manual about how to connect it properly.

Old 11-14-2015, 08:20 PM   #9

I have the ecodiesel with the air ride suspension. I pull the FF 214WSD. I love this truck. 20 to 30 mpg not towing. 13 to 19 mpg when towing. Imo, pay the money for the air ride suspension! You won't regret it!
Bill Sorensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 08:45 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travels with Yoly View Post

I installed Timbrens like that on my Dodge Hemi pulling the XT 276. We made one trip and removed them. They nearly jarred our guts out as made the rear suspension extremely hard....rode like an empty 1949 IHC KB-5 2 ton farm truck! Yes, they certainly eliminated any rear spring compression but gave a hard ride. The combination of Timbrens with the Equal-i-Zer hitch pulling the XT 276 toy hauler was not a good experience here.
Old 11-15-2015, 03:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
I installed Timbrens like that on my Dodge Hemi pulling the XT 276. We made one trip and removed them. They nearly jarred our guts out as made the rear suspension extremely hard....rode like an empty 1949 IHC KB-5 2 ton farm truck! Yes, they certainly eliminated any rear spring compression but gave a hard ride. The combination of Timbrens with the Equal-i-Zer hitch pulling the XT 276 toy hauler was not a good experience here.
If he gets the Air Ride Suspension, he won't need the Timbrens. Also, if you recall Eagle, we did not have that same experience pulling the 214 WSD

Old 11-16-2015, 07:49 AM   #12

Quote:
If he gets the Air Ride Suspension, he won't need the Timbrens. Also, if you recall Eagle, we did not have that same experience pulling the 214 WSD
OH yes, I recall. And you are correct, with the air ride suspension no need for the Timbrens.

Also, my TV has leaf springs in the rear and yours has coil springs IIRC and that may present different results.
Old 11-16-2015, 08:18 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
OH yes, I recall. And you are correct, with the air ride suspension no need for the Timbrens.

Also, my TV has leaf springs in the rear and yours has coil springs IIRC and that may present different results.
Very good point (different tongue weights as well possibly).

Old 11-16-2015, 08:26 AM   #14

Quote:
Very good point (different tongue weights as well possibly).
Yes, a variation in tongue weights is a necessary consideration, Thanks for mentioning it.