Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Tech > Towing and Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-09-2011, 03:22 PM   #1

Default First post and a few questions about my tow Vehicle .

Well I have been looking for a travel trailer and found a dealer that sells the fun finders and out of all we have looked at; there the lightest, nicest ones we've seen. Now my question, I own a 2010 toyota tacoma double cab with the 4.0 v-6 4x4 and the tow package rated at 6500#'s, and a tongue weight of 650#, I'm looking and the Fun finder X-214wsd, has a 3800# dry weight and and 6045 gvwr. I don't see ever putting more the a 1000# in so that would be right at 5000#. By all the numbers it should be fine, But is the length to much I'm just looking for opinions here this will be our first travel trailer and I really don't want to have to get a different tow vehicle. But I really like this trailer. . I know on big passes it will be slow and eat gas, but once I unhook I'm back up to 18-22mpg.Any opinions would be greatly appreciated

subnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 05:22 PM   #2

You should be OK, as long as your realize the following...

I suspect, when all is said and done, your 214WSD is going to be closer to 4400 or 4500 lbs empty, when you roll off the lot. The "dry weight" on trailers is just that...bone dead dry; no battery, no LP gas, no options (even the "mandatory" ones).

You'll need a WD hitch, I believe the Tacoma is rated for one, and with the weight of the hitch and a loaded trailer, you are going to be really close to your tongue weight limit, even packing lightly. Most people don't realize exactly how heavy even "packing lightly" really is. You also need to keep an eye on your Tacoma's gross vehicle loading...the payload that is being applied to the truck's over all weight. With two adults and a tongue weight of 550-600 lbs, you won't have a lot of load carrying capacity for the bed of the truck. The payload capacity is right around 1200 lbs; that has to cover a fulll tank of gas (the "factory weight is calculated with a 150 lb. driver and 1/2 tank of gas), options on the truck, other occupants and the trailer loading.

You don't say where you're from or where you'll be towing, but, you've already realized you are going to be "underpowered" for the hills, so, that won't come as a rude awakening

Can you do it? Yes, as far as the numbers go. Would you be happier with more tow vehicle, certainly, but, we all have to start somewhere and in today's economy, as long as you aren't unsafely loaded and you drive with the knowledge you are close to your vehicles limits and act accordingly, less can be quite adequate. Just know you and your rig's limits, as you won't have a "safety cushion" of excess power and loading capability to fall back on if things get "hairy".

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 04:44 AM   #3

Default I forgot to Mention

I Oh for got to mention what we'll be using it for, we're going to full time in it, not for sure how long, I try to keep it pretty simple, we'll stay somewhere till we're tired and move on. Its just my wife and a black lab , no kids? We're going to sell our house. I'm kinda in a unique situation, Once my house is sold and I retire from the military, the only bills will be insurance, and cell phone bills and what ever camp site spots are. everything else will be paid off. I plan on seeing the US and Canada. Yes a bigger tow vehicle might be nice. But I think 95% of the time I will like the tacoma better, I will be slow getting there but once I do , I will have a great smaller truck to explore with.
subnate is offline   Reply With Quote